Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So here is the latest. I got a call from the dealership on Saturday and they said what they found was a code for the cam sensor, but they also said they did a compression test and one cylinder had zero compression. Then he went on to say it was $7100 for a new motor and they don't rebuild the existing one. Needless to say, I said I will pick it up tomorrow. I didn't even want to talk to them. You cant tell me within an hour diagnostic they went to it all needs to be replaced. And of course no warranty coverage because of aftermarket parts but he couldn't tell me what aftermarket parts voided the warranty and why. He also couldn't tell me anything about the CAPS (Cam Positing Sensor) being the mechanic didn't put any additional notes in the computer and he was just the service writer.

I'm going to do some further testing on my own. I have the service manual and my buddy is going to help me check each injector (make sure one is not stuck open), Injector coils, CAPS, CPS, do our own compression and leak down test. I have all the tools to do it. Make sure all of that is in the correct parameters. And since they mentioned a CAPS code, I ordered a new one for $35. Its gonna be a couple weeks before we get too it all.

If we conclude it needs rebuilt, I will call nFlow and talk to them. I may actually call them today. I also may reach out on here and see who people recommend to just have the motor built while it is out of the car. Not sure if ALBA, KMS, EVO, Whalen or other vendors do it.

I just don't understand how the car ran perfectly fine. Moved it in and out of the garage several times and no problems to "zero compression" in one cylinder.

Anyhow I will keep the thread updated when I get more info.

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
So here is the latest. I got a call from the dealership on Saturday and they said what they found was a code for the cam sensor, but they also said they did a compression test and one cylinder had zero compression. Then he went on to say it was $7100 for a new motor and they don't rebuild the existing one. Needless to say, I said I will pick it up tomorrow. I didn't even want to talk to them. You cant tell me within an hour diagnostic they went to it all needs to be replaced. And of course no warranty coverage because of aftermarket parts but he couldn't tell me what aftermarket parts voided the warranty and why. He also couldn't tell me anything about the CAPS (Cam Positing Sensor) being the mechanic didn't put any additional notes in the computer and he was just the service writer.

I'm going to do some further testing on my own. I have the service manual and my buddy is going to help me check each injector (make sure one is not stuck open), Injector coils, CAPS, CPS, do our own compression and leak down test. I have all the tools to do it. Make sure all of that is in the correct parameters. And since they mentioned a CAPS code, I ordered a new one for $35. Its gonna be a couple weeks before we get too it all.

If we conclude it needs rebuilt, I will call nFlow and talk to them. I may actually call them today. I also may reach out on here and see who people recommend to just have the motor built while it is out of the car. Not sure if ALBA, KMS, EVO, Whalen or other vendors do it.

I just don't understand how the car ran perfectly fine. Moved it in and out of the garage several times and no problems to "zero compression" in one cylinder.

Was this the mechanic or the service manager? They have to tell you, and it should be shown to you in writing. Was this with RPM1? Curious.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts

Cam position sensor is too easy to change one bolt and its in the way when you change the #2 plug. I know Whalen will rebuild it if needed because they was telling me about an X3 they had just done. But I am sure any of the others named can do this as well.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
Only two things come to mind for zero compresion: Open valve and hole in piston.
Hole in piston will have massive blowby.
even with a dead hole it should attempt to start sputer or backfire and since it ran fine before he parked it it has to be a fuel, elec or some sensor thats telling the ecu not to let it fire up

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh you were the one with the Packard tune, right?
Yup - Guess we will see if that is related or not.

Was this the mechanic or the service manager? They have to tell you, and it should be shown to you in writing. Was this with RPM1? Curious.
Service Writer. I asked to talked to the Mechanic but of course he was unavailable. You cant even call and talk to any of the service writers. You have to submit a form online from their website and they have 24-48 hours to call you back. Its a joke.

even with a dead hole it should attempt to start sputer or backfire and since it ran fine before he parked it it has to be a fuel, elec or some sensor thats telling the ecu not to let it fire up
That is how I feel. I had zero issues or codes before all of this happened. Never went into limp mode, never backfired, ran strong.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Isn't there a better option than the zombies at the Stealership's service department in your area ?
Of course they want to sell you a new motor, probably don't have a clue how to install it let alone how to get the existing one out, but those apprentices need the experience.

In all seriousness, there's got to be a build shop within a reasonable distance, right ? Many work with extended warranty's if that's the issue. Stealership / Service writer will blame any tune or mod's done to help the warranty company ditch responsibility. Probably get a kick back each time.

Must be frustrating as Hell. Hope you find the solution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
Yup - Guess we will see if that is related or not.

Service Writer. I asked to talked to the Mechanic but of course he was unavailable. You cant even call and talk to any of the service writers. You have to submit a form online from their website and they have 24-48 hours to call you back. Its a joke.

That is how I feel. I had zero issues or codes before all of this happened. Never went into limp mode, never backfired, ran strong.
You know, that's like the 3rd or 4th time I've seen Service Writer wouldn't cover incidents. For future references for anybody, that would be reason enough to stay away from them.

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
I went through just about the entire harness including pulling every panel off to visually inspect. I'm going to start blaiming it on the previous owner we just bought this house from. He had a 4seater RZR. I think the bad POPO juju rubbed off.
So you're saying any moment, it might burst into flames?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just picked her up from the Stealership. So after talking to the Service Writer, who talked to his manager who talked to the Tech who relayed everything back to the service writer now says all cylinders have zero compression. This is what they wrote exactly on the job sheet:
"Found code for cam sensor fault in ecm. Remove spark plug and found no compression. Suspect timing chain concern. Will need to R&R motor to further inspect. 12 Hours Labor"
I tried to ask three different times why no further troubleshooting was done on the cam fault. No answer. I asked them about my warranty and they told me it expired. So I'm assuming they never even called my after market warranty. He had to keep going through his manager instead of them just coming out and talking to me. So stupid.

My aftermarket warranty strictly states it covers timing chains:
Engine: All internally lubricated parts, including: pistons, pins, rings; connecting rods and bearings; crankshaft and main bearings; camshaft, followers, and cam bearings; push rods, valves, retainers, springs, guides, seats, followers, and lifters; rocker arms, rocker shafts and bushings; internal reed valves (where fitted), transfer port valves, timing gears, timing chains, timing belt, timing chain/belt tensioners and retainers; eccentric shaft; oil pump. Oil pan; intake and exhaust manifolds; engine mounts and cushions; engine torque strut, timing cover; valve cover(s); harmonic balancer; flywheel (flexplate) and flywheel ring gear. Turbo/Supercharger (optional): Housing and all internal lubricated parts and waste gate are covered.

By the way my oil is spotless. You think if it threw a chain you would know about it. Whether the noise when it happened or metal in the oil.

So thats the latest. Gonna do some more troubleshooting when it isn't 108 degrees outside and 130 in the garage.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts