Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..I need some help. We recently moved. The X3 never had a problem before. Moved to the new place. Moved it in and out of the garage with no problems several times. Fired right up. Always hooked to a charger.

Went to go start it again and it just turns over for the 5-10 seconds and wont start.

- Dual battery's. 12.4 volts to both battery's, even tried starting with a batter charger hooked up. Double checked all connections and they are tight.
- The big fuse by the battery is good. There is also a 10 amp fuse there that is good as well.
- Harness to the ECU are solid. Disconnect and plugged back in.
- Programmed back to stock
- After programming back to stock, disconnected programmer.
- Pulled fuel line off and fuel pressure is good. Its flowing fast and steady. Fuse to fuel pump is good.
- Checked all fuses in the main fuse box. All are good
- Checked every harness to make sure it is plugged in that I can visually see and get too.
- tried green and grey key.
- Tried in every gear position and rocked the car back and forth

Outside checking for spark or pulling plugs, what could I be missing? Is there an ignition fuse or harness I should check?

I'm open to any ideas. I scheduled an appointment with dealer and have aftermarket warranty, but believe me, if I can fix it myself I will. Plus the dealer is several weeks out. Such a joke.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Good luck and let us know , somebody else had a problem like this ,but after doing some welding and his battery getting low some how he lost the marriage of the key to the ecu so had to get them reacquainted so to say

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a few more questions, maybe someone might have the answer too.

I tried someone else's key and it wont even attempt to start. Wouldn't that be the same case with my keys if they weren't married to my ecu?

Does anyone have a diagram of the electrical system that supplies spark? Which connectors I need to check?

Can I just swap out someone else's key and ecu to see if it will start?

I'm guessing BUDS has a way of seeing what is happening if it was hooked up to the X3 while starting. Anyone close to Sacramento that has BUDS and wants to make some side money :)

I haven't had time to pull the spark plugs to see if there isn't spark. I'm just assuming there isn't. I went through pretty much everything else last night.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I doubt its plugs, I am worried its your ECU. you could at least pull a coil out and put a plug in it to check for spark? I think yes you need ECU and a matched key for it to start, but I have never tried this

·
Premium Member
7,141 Posts
The fact that its not firing at all tells me its not cylinder specific, things like plugs or coils. If it was one of those, it would fire up but have misfires. Fuel is good, I am assuming air is getting into the cylinders, has to be spark related but something that all cylinders share like a map sensor or something all cylinders have in common.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
If one coil, plug or cylinder was bad would run like shit but would fire off. I think something with the tune / ECU? just weird it ran fine after moving then wont fire? Did being on the charger blow a fuse?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If one coil, plug or cylinder was bad would run like shit but would fire off. I think something with the tune / ECU? just weird it ran fine after moving then wont fire? Did being on the charger blow a fuse?
The fact that its not firing at all tells me its not cylinder specific, things like plugs or coils. If it was one of those, it would fire up but have misfires. Fuel is good, I am assuming air is getting into the cylinders, has to be spark related but something that all cylinders share like a map sensor or something all cylinders have in common.
Thanks guys...You are on the same page as me. Unless of course all three plugs are fowled, but I have a hard time believing that. However I do run Leaded 110 50/50 with 91. I put it back to factory, tried different tunes. Same thing.

Fuel is good. Maybe 2 months old.

Here is a video of trying to start it. This is from tonight.

I did finally found the service manual. I'm gonna copy and paste the Diagnostic Guidelines. It says "plug" not "plugs". You cant tell me one plug would not allow it to start. I went through everything again. Checked every CPS, CAPS, MAPTS connector. Made sure it was connected. Every fuse. I checked the "ECU validation" from the service manual.

This is also from the service manual. Maybe I do have a defective CPS? I never checked the trigger wheel. Anyhow, guess it is going to the dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
This has happened on my waverunners and my boat a couple of times. Change dspark plugs and cam back to life.

but again you have to know if you are getting power to ignition coils and then fire spark.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled the plugs out. The S3 video shows the way to do that. This is what they look like.

Gonna check spark once I have someone here to push the start button for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
put plug in coil and sitting in driver seat reaching through center cover and hold plug against engine for ground. Its real obvious if there is spark, be careful with the paste on re-install

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Look like one hell of a gap

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The gap was set at 028 which is spec. I have spark. Put in new plugs. Same thing. Off to the dealership tomorrow. Watch it be some stupid ground wire. My buddy mentioned testing fuel pulse but that was after I put the muffler and everything back on. Tired of dealing with it.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I would put a new set of Brisk CR10YS Silver Racing plugs gapped at .020. When I got my X3 out for this spring I had a bad plug and I don’t know why. So if you had two bad it wouldn’t run but they may spark until you get them under pressure in the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Get a spry bottle with fuel, take out the air filter, as someone operates the starter mist some fuel in to the intake.
If there is any sign, as if it would like to start, you know that it is fuel related.
By the by, did you try the other key?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts