Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

ZRP Alternator kit, worth it? who has one?

20K views 58 replies 22 participants last post by  CanturboR 
#1 ·
I'm right at 41.4 amps of extra power needed to run all my goodies in my MEGAmax build. With OEM radiator fan, intercooler fan, fuel pump and engine electrical needs plus my extra 41 amp draw on the stock system I would not be putting anything back into the battery. Sure I could get by with a second battery and isolator but that second battery would not be down on power for the next night ride.

the stock stator is 625 watts at 6000 rpm,
44.6 amps at 14 volts
49.2 amps at 12.7 volts

what's the good bad and ugly about the Alternator kit? I already heard one second hand info that there was some issues, nothing specific though.

#49 ·
your old stuff is 650w?

#53 ·
The flat rate was 4.2 hr and I was on it for probably 6hr . Would have been less of a pain if I would have removed the shock .First time alway takes me longer. It’s too cold for a night ride but I’m sure I will enjoy my new Baja designs OnX6 40 inch bar when it warms up.

#56 ·
Thats good to hear. I am going to put a heavy test on my electric system. We will see what my dual batteries and 850 watt stator does with everything on at same time that will never actually occur except for the test.

Reactions: ssanders65
#58 ·
I was curious on what options there was for my new Can-Am
$809 to go from 650 to 850W may not be something I'll jump on. Not yet anyway.

I heard that the stator could only supply so much so when I installed my stereo and amps i connected it to a bank of used server rack batteries I already had.
I put 4 of them together (which makes them all together about the size of a standard battery) and put them under the passenger seat.
My 11 year old said she wanted more BASS than the large Kicker marine speakers could kick out so I recently built a speaker box under the driver seat and dropped in a dual voicecoil pro 8" sub.
We just ran the Maverick out in the desert for over 3 hours with the stereo on the entire time and the subwoofer gain set half way on the Fosgate head unit and it didn't go dead.
Still had 12.5V when I brought it home.

My battery pack is NOT charged by the Maverick.
I charge it at home.

I figure I can make a connector to my trailer so that it charges through my truck's 12VDC trailer connector. Which should recharge it on the drive to locations or in between rides.
Nice to know I got at least 4 hours use as far as i can tell.
But I haven't added an extra light bar yet or anything like that.

Now that I know it sounds ok I still need to remove it and seal it with resin.
The towel was so it won't squeak but it should be good with the resin.

-Shawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.