Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
About to start the last day to the finish. We are holding it together. We’ve had to remove both front knuckles every night to press the wheel bearings back in and we’ve gotten pretty good at it.

The last two days we’ve been running a fairly good pace, roughly 3rd or 4th fastest car, which isn’t a very big gap in time in this class. The 2 plus hours we lost on day 1 are just hanging around our necks like an albatross. I’ve been letting some of my crew drive some legs just to have some fun.

Bajades is with us and they are having a great race sitting in 4th. The top 2 cars are just a couple minutes apart so they will be pressing hard and if one of them tosses it away bajades could podium. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In your opinion, why are the knuckles / wheel bearings failing? Are you using stock, or aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for the updates, It’s pretty hard to make up 2 hours, thats tough you don't want to wish for any one to break but racings a battle of attrition gotta finish to win. Good luck. I know you'll probably replaice your knuckles after the race but you might also use the green locktite, its designed to hold bearing races in their pocket. Its use on most bearing in the final drives on the big cat dozers and earthmovers just a thought

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hollywood it would make for a great ride to run from Ensenada down to Loreto then spend a couple days running up to the mission and thru the valley , a lot of riding around there then head back also would be nice to stay at gonzaga bay for a day or so exploring It beautiful in the mountains around there forests rivers etc and great food at alfonsena's my #2 spot in baja have a beer at coco’s corner just too many great places to go in Baja

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
In your opinion, why are the knuckles / wheel bearings failing? Are you using stock, or aftermarket?
In the way to Todos Santos to do the final leg.

I think those bearings got shoved outboard by the Rhino axles not plunging well enough. Literally the only difference in my setup is those axles and I have many thousands of miles in the car. And it happened on both sides on the first day. Not sure what I’m more pissed about, the stupid axles or myself for racing on an unproven setup.

Once those bearings got shoved outboard once, the aluminum knuckles were permanently damaged so now it keeps happening. The groove for the circlip is all buggered up.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts

I think those bearings got shoved outboard by the Rhino axles not plunging well enough. Literally the only difference in my setup is those axles and I have many thousands of miles in the car. And it happened on both sides on the first day. Not sure what I’m more pissed about, the stupid axles or myself for racing on an unproven setup.

Once those bearings got shoved outboard once, the aluminum knuckles were permanently damaged so now it keeps happening. The groove for the circlip is all buggered up.

Roger that!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts

That most likely also damaged your front Diff.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts

That is no fun having an issued like that. I wonder if others are having similar issues with the Rhino axles as the wheel bearings. I would contact Super ATV when you get back and see what they have to say and if they are willing to do something.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well boys I got in the car with 62 miles to the finish, and with nothing really on the line to win or lose I just went hammer down to see what the car would do. Was really happy with handling and suspension and the motor and clutch were all great. Had five cars in our class in front of me. I passed one of them, and then saw the leader stopped on the side a short time later. Bajades, mattock, and one other guy were still in front and I was trying to see if I could run them down when I made a mistake. Hit a dip going too fast and bottomed out hard in the rear. Everything seemed to be okay so we pressed on. About ten miles later the transmission grenaded. Looks like the bottom out cracked the case and the fluid leaked out.

Our chase guys got us on the strap in a relatively short time and we are in Cabo drinking beer and telling lies. Now I finally have an excuse to pull the motor and trans so I can do some more work to the frame that I’ve been putting off. Thanks for the well wishes everyone, turned out to be a much more fun race than I thought it would be after that first day.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Zambo crosses the finish line in La Paz , congratulations on finishing the race.

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Well boys I got in the car with 62 miles to the finish, and with nothing really on the line to win or lose I just went hammer down to see what the car would do. Was really happy with handling and suspension and the motor and clutch were all great. Had five cars in our class in front of me. I passed one of them, and then saw the leader stopped on the side a short time later. Bajades, mattock, and one other guy were still in front and I was trying to see if I could run them down when I made a mistake. Hit a dip going too fast and bottomed out hard in the rear. Everything seemed to be okay so we pressed on. About ten miles later the transmission grenaded. Looks like the bottom out cracked the case and the fluid leaked out.

Our chase guys got us on the strap in a relatively short time and we are in Cabo drinking beer and telling lies. Now I finally have an excuse to pull the motor and trans so I can do some more work to the frame that I’ve been putting off. Thanks for the well wishes everyone, turned out to be a much more fun race than I thought it would be after that first day.

Congrats! Drinking beers in Cabo. Been there, done that! Many, many times.

Reactions: AZSteele

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)

I blew it, thought that was the finish in la Paz but it the start this morning My bad
I thought the finish was in la paz but its the last leg la Paz to Cabo I think I need glasses or something

thats gotta be hard to be so close after all the hard work you and the team put in ,glad you had some fun as they say its an adventure anytime your in Baja , Id rather be there than here working. Have some more fun and a safe trip north.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Different view this am.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I blew it, thought that was the finish in la Paz but it the start this morning My bad
I thought the finish was in la paz but its the last leg la Paz to Cabo I think I need glasses or something

thats gotta be hard to be so close after all the hard work you and the team put in ,glad you had some fun as they say its an adventure anytime your in Baja , Id rather be there than here working. Have some more fun and a safe trip north.
It’s all good here, the thrill of getting an ninth place finish is long gone for me. I could just drive down these trails all day long and easily finish the race without breaking. To me the fun thing is trying to be the fastest guy out there, which is an order of magnitude higher effort level. Didn’t happen this year but we will be back.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
It’s all good here, the thrill of getting an ninth place finish is long gone for me. I could just drive down these trails all day long and easily finish the race without breaking. To me the fun thing is trying to be the fastest guy out there, which is an order of magnitude higher effort level. Didn’t happen this year but we will be back.

Sounds like a really fun time no matter what happens. The end of the day your in Baja which is always a good time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Zambo, saw you on the side of the course in the hills (no Stella triangle, party foul!) and hoped it was just something easy like a flat, sorry to hear that you lunched the tranny. Our car owner was driving, we were first in class, he wasn't going to stop, but it sounds like it wouldn't have mattered. Bummer man, but you got to drive some great trails this week and are sitting in Cabo drinking beer...not a bad deal. I kept checking Stella to see if you were rolling, but then saw you headed out to the road. Still hoping to catch up with you tomorrow, see ya at the party! Nice to see all the SXSs (aka golf carts ) in the mix scrapping with the unlimited cars...seems like the perfect platform. We're already talking about doing it again soon!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Interesting, we had the triangle on and could hear it beeping not only in our car but also in other cars as they approached. I don’t think that part of Stella worked very well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agree that feature was inconsistent at best, especially the distance that it went off. At least you were somewhere that was visible and safe, we had a couple folks barely off of the course that just appeared in the dust. Couldn't carry too much speed in the twisties anyways, plus the penalty was so high. Litterally the last turn before the speed zone at the end of that pass was a TT or one car on it's lid in the ditch.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Can you pre run the course ,if you had the time and $$$ or do they supply the gps files and off you go, , the brenthal brothers are course markers for score so those guys see every rock and rut and are also making notes on the leadnav and marking hazards ? If its for their use or share with other teams Glad everyone is safe and still having fun

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts

I can imagine the carnage. Amazed your able to keep them together each day.
Get to that finish line, get home and go back to the tried and proven stock axles.
Good luck ZAMBO......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 93 Posts