Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You are probably out on the track and wont see this for a couple of days but you might try to find some green locktite , its for holding bearings in their retainers

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
sorry to hear about day one, hope the rest of the race is a better, however you are racing while we are home typing. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Sorry to hear, that sucks. Hopefully the rest of your time down there will be fun. Looking forward to more pics when you get internet service.

Reactions: Desertdog01

·
Registered
80 Posts
We’ll be at the finish line in Loreto tomorrow afternoon I’ll try to get a picture of the car and Zambo

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Loreto is a great town , good food and nice people, we stayed at the golf resort all the way south of town , beautiful sunrises and beautiful beaches and great riding your a lucky man

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Loreto is a great town , good food and nice people, we stayed at the golf resort all the way south of town , beautiful sunrises and beautiful beaches and great riding your a lucky man
Absolutely LOVE that first pic! That's what life is all about, being on a beach somewhere. Have done that most of my life.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
More mehico pic’s

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Couple more zambo will be going by these places

Attachments

Reactions: AZSteele

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Some more vid o th race

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
So Monday morning before we left San Felipe I found a radiator shop and had the guy there make a tee fitting by braising a piece of 5/8 steel tubing into a piece of 1” tubing. I also got another piece of 1” straight tubing. I didn’t have time to do anything else before our start time.

Went off the line way in the back of the field due to our poor finish on day 1. We passed at least a dozen cars on the short 19 mile sprint even though I couldn’t go more than about 60 or the engine would get hot. Rudy had similar issues on his section.... car working good but can’t go full power. We got to Bay of LA mid pack or so. Then we pulled the skid plates again and removed the thermostat housing and bypassed it using the makeshift fittings from the radiator shop. After a quick test drive we hit the rack feeling good about the car for day three.

Rudy did the first leg and the motor ran a lot cooler so he was able to stay on the gas a lot more and finish third in the stage. I got in the car with my buddy jack and we did the 208 mile leg to Loreto. At the pit where I got in, we decided to take the front light bar off for more cooling. I spent a healthy portion of the next four hours just pinned and the engine never got hot. Finished in 4th, about ten minutes behind the leader.

We started inspecting the car and found another loose front axle. This time it was still seated in the diff (passenger side) but was moving around like something internal to the diff was broken. So once again the whole front end comes apart so I can replace the diff with a spare. Also while we had it part i notice the wheel bearings are popping out of the knuckles again. So Rudy takes them to get pressed back in while we finish changing the diff. Good times. This time after we got them back in I used a large punch and hammer to form the aluminum lip of the knuckle hard up against the snap ring. I think I have a picture of what I’m talking about. Anyway the car is all back together and resting up to start day 4 in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
So Monday morning before we left San Felipe I found a radiator shop and had the guy there make a tee fitting by braising a piece of 5/8 steel tubing into a piece of 1” tubing. I also got another piece of 1” straight tubing. I didn’t have time to do anything else before our start time.

Went off the line way in the back of the field due to our poor finish on day 1. We passed at least a dozen cars on the short 19 mile sprint even though I couldn’t go more than about 60 or the engine would get hot. Rudy had similar issues on his section.... car working good but can’t go full power. We got to Bay of LA mid pack or so. Then we pulled the skid plates again and removed the thermostat housing and bypassed it using the makeshift fittings from the radiator shop. After a quick test drive we hit the rack feeling good about the car for day three.

Rudy did the first leg and the motor ran a lot cooler so he was able to stay on the gas a lot more and finish third in the stage. I got in the car with my buddy jack and we did the 208 mile leg to Loreto. At the pit where I got in, we decided to take the front light bar off for more cooling. I spent a healthy portion of the next four hours just pinned and the engine never got hot. Finished in 4th, about ten minutes behind the leader.

We started inspecting the car and found another loose front axle. This time it was still seated in the diff (passenger side) but was moving around like something internal to the diff was broken. So once again the whole front end comes apart so I can replace the diff with a spare. Also while we had it part i notice the wheel bearings are popping out of the knuckles again. So Rudy takes them to get pressed back in while we finish changing the diff. Good times. This time after we got them back in I used a large punch and hammer to form the aluminum lip of the knuckle hard up against the snap ring. I think I have a picture of what I’m talking about. Anyway the car is all back together and resting up to start day 4 in the morning.

Keep at it!

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good luck, its rough having to work on a car after driving all day at times you wonder what your doing but when its over you wish it was just starting godspeed hope you finish well with no more issues

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Rough night for the racers in bahia LA quick vid

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Where exactly is the second pic?
The second pic is at the hotel/golf resort south of Loreto Same place with the race trucks and support vehicles in a pic or 2 above it was 3000 peso’s a night during the 1000 so It was probably bumped up ,about 160 us It was the nicest place westayed at the whole trip

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
The second pic is at the hotel/golf resort south of Loreto Same place with the race trucks and support vehicles in a pic or 2 above it was 3000 peso’s a night during the 1000 so It was probably bumped up ,about 160 us It was the nicest place westayed at the whole trip
Looks pretty phenomenal!

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Attachments

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
About to start the last day to the finish. We are holding it together. We’ve had to remove both front knuckles every night to press the wheel bearings back in and we’ve gotten pretty good at it.

The last two days we’ve been running a fairly good pace, roughly 3rd or 4th fastest car, which isn’t a very big gap in time in this class. The 2 plus hours we lost on day 1 are just hanging around our necks like an albatross. I’ve been letting some of my crew drive some legs just to have some fun.

Bajades is with us and they are having a great race sitting in 4th. The top 2 cars are just a couple minutes apart so they will be pressing hard and if one of them tosses it away bajades could podium. We’ll see.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts