Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Here is my attempt on writing a review for the modified XRS shocks.
First of all, I’m not a shock guy, so please excuse my terminology which is very likely off a bit.

Well, I bought my Maverick last year December, the power is great, the quality is great but the suspension was always lacking. The commonly suggested setting (comp’s all wide open and rebound closed) improved the ride but it was still not a true thrill to ride that machine.
The front was actually not that bad, the rear made for a rough ride.
Bucking, too stiff, rebound way too fast etc.

I thought about getting aftermarket shocks or have the shocks modified by Alex Reed.
Well, I decided on the shock overhaul since the 2.5 Podiums are not bad shocks, they’re just wrong configured in terms of valving and springs.

Since I’m currently living in Mexico and the postal service is all but reliable, I threw the shocks in my suitcase and flew down to Charlotte.
Alex picked up the shocks at the hotel I was staying the same day I arrived, he finished his job the next day in the morning. I did spend a few hrs. in his shop talking suspension….If I would not have said ‘Alex, I gotta go, I have to catch a flight’ he probably still would talk suspensión. 
He knows his stuff and you can feel that this is his passion…..
Everything went flawless, the timeline for Alex to do his magic was very tight and did not allow any delays…Well, he delivered just as he said he will. This guy is legit.

Well, I flew back to Mexico and got knocked off my feet’s a few days with the flu.

Once recovered, I installed the shocks in the machine, set the proper ride height and took it for a spin.

I noticed right off the bat that the body roll was significantly reduced compared to the original setting described above. I also noticed that the ride felt much less rough over potholes etc.
After fiddling around a bit to get used to the new feel of the machine, I pushed it a bit harder over some rougher roads and this is where the new setup really started to shine. It is almost like as harder you push it, as better it gets.
The rear end bucking is almost completely eliminated; fast cornering feels much more safe and stable now. It is a much plusher ride but around corners the body roll is much reduced compared to the stock setup.
I drove over a few sections of trail which I passed before with walking speed since the car would just bounce left and right, I can go thru there now much much faster without getting scared that the car will dance off the track 

I think I have the front perfectly dialed in, I use the whole travel on the tracks I ride, the rear needs a bit more adjusting to get it perfect. I will finish this this upcoming weekend.

To summarize all my babbling above.
Whoever is on the fence getting shock work done from Alex, don’t hesitate, the difference is truly night and day and it’s only about ½ of the costs of a good set of aftermarket shocks.
One more very important factor for me was the fact that you not only buying the new valving and new springs, you also buying excellent customer service. Alex walked me thru the whole setup by phone, he always was available if I had questions.
Buying aftermarket shocks requires to find the proper setup yourself which is over the ability of most recreational riders, with Alex setup, you basically get the shocks already 90% setup for your machine, riding style, weights etc. Only a few small tweaks are needed to make it perfect and for those tweaks, Alex is there to guide you thru the process.

Well, I made a few vids, not super rough terrain as some of you ride but that’s about the trails I ride down here. I also don’t try to trash my machine too soon, so for the hardcore guys out there, this video will not entertain you 
I also added a few scenery vids for the nature guys out there. 

Well, let me know what you think.

Alex

·
Registered
367 Posts
First off, Alex your video editing skills are outstanding and you've got some nice riding areas. Second, Alex Reed your shocks look to be performing freakin amazing from this little tease. I see I must save some cash and get my shocks done, so I can tear up the NV dessert at speeds. I know it's not my class 10 with 26" of travel, but I'm pretty sure it will be a big step up from the factory. My hat is off to both of you.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Excellent video. I want to def get this done

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch for the nice comments, its much appreciated.
I'm reloading right now the video with YouTube music, the previous versión would not play on mobile devices.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Damn! I know AReed has some shock skills, but you got some video skills! Awesome production value with all the camera locations, editing and beatiful scenery. Great job!

sent from the top of China Wall

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of changes in spring rate did you make? Looks good.
I will go out in a bit and check if Alex does not chime in in the meantime :)

Damn! I know AReed has some shock skills, but you got some video skills! Awesome production value with all the camera locations, editing and beatiful scenery. Great job!

sent from the top of China Wall
Thanks man, I use Power Director 12....super simple to make nice clips.

I did change the music to free YouTube music, so it should work now on mobile devices.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
I think after a couple changes to to rebound it's going to be on the money. You put together a great video.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think after a couple changes to to rebound it's going to be on the money. You put together a great video.
Yes Alex, I probably speed up the rear rebound a bit....testing starts tomorrow. Can't wait to go riding again in the mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes that is a nice video. I ordered the shock work the other day. Can't wait for sure.
Thanks man.
You gotta love the feel of the machine once you slap the shocks back on it.
Best money I've spend on the machine, worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
727 Posts
Great job to both of you. That white Maverick glides, very cool. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great video.. I agree night and day difference over stock. That terrain looks similar to some trails I have ridden in northern Mexico. I have ridden in the Sierra Madre Mountains near. Mesa Tres rios, best trails I have ever been on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
great video although the music really set off my tinnitus:crazy:
i have ct modified shocks and they made a world of difference for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts