Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified the dead pedal on the driver side floorboard? I installed new seats and lost a little valuable leg room. I relocated my key and cut the plastic around the key which gave me much more knee room for my right knee. I couldn’t find a comfortable position for my left foot/leg. When I put my left foot on the dead pedal, my knee hits the plastic under the headlight switch. I drove most of the day with my foot to the right of the dead pedal, kind of under the brake pedal but there was nothing to press on to stabilize myself. I thought about cutting the switches out on the left side but I think it might be better to modify the dead pedal by cutting it out and somehow fabbing something up to relocate it a couple inches back and to the right. Has anyone done anything like this? Anyone removed the floorboard? It looks like it’s one piece and riveted in place. Curious about what is behind there. I don’t believe there is anything behind the dead pedal but I’m not 100% sure. Just trying to get a little insight before digging in.
Automotive lighting Vehicle door Gas Tints and shades Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
Although you probably did, have you tried the 4 different possible positions with the seat risers?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although you probably did, have you tried the 4 different possible positions with the seat risers?
yes, 5 actually because the Simpson seat brackets came with a 3/4 or 1” spacer. I actually used the Simpson spacer on the passenger side. They provide the spacer so the slider can clear the rear seat bolts when slid back. I ended up cutting the bolts down on the driver seat and mounting in the lowest position. Anything in the upper position on the front and my knees are even higher. I’m was thinking about making a fixed plate for the drivers seat to get it down and back a little more. Problem is my wife and kids drive sometimes and my son and I are 6’5” and my wife and daughter are 5’2”ish.

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
yes, 5 actually because the Simpson seat brackets came with a 3/4 or 1” spacer. I actually used the Simpson spacer on the passenger side. They provide the spacer so the slider can clear the rear seat bolts when slid back. I ended up cutting the bolts down on the driver seat and mounting in the lowest position. Anything in the upper position on the front and my knees are even higher. I’m was thinking about making a fixed plate for the drivers seat to get it down and back a little more. Problem is my wife and kids drive sometimes and my son and I are 6’5” and my wife and daughter are 5’2”ish.
Can't remember, but aren't the stock seat risers higher than an inch? Thought it was two inches? 6'5" is rough, you're definitely going to get squeezed, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2021 xds turbo rr
187 Posts
Interested to see how this works out. Personally I'm six foot 4, and my seats are in the lower positions. I don't have any issues getting comfy driving my X3, but I don't see a need to change my seats

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't remember, but aren't the stock seat risers higher than an inch? Thought it was two inches? 6'5" is rough, you're definitely going to get squeezed, unfortunately.
Yes. Stock seat risers are 2”. Pretty sure they know the seat height goes up with the mounting plates, retaining the rollers so they give you the 3/4” which my guess keeps you at the same height as the stock seat on the 2” riser. I’m also a BIG 6’5” so that doesn’t help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interested to see how this works out. Personally I'm six foot 4, and my seats are in the lower positions. I don't have any issues getting comfy driving my X3, but I don't see a need to change my seats
I was actually more comfy as far as seating position in the stock seats. I had just enough room. As far as ass comfort, there’s no comparison between the stock seats and the simpsons. They are super comfortable and supportive. I sat in a friends car that had them and I ordered a set soon after, they were that nice. I think getting the dead pedal dialed in will help a ton. When I use the dead pedal I feel cramped and my knee hits the dash, but secure. When I don’t use it, I don’t feel as secure and worry that if I was in an accident, I would break my ankle based on how it is wedged down and twisted in the foot well under the brake pedal. At least when it’s down under the brake pedal, I’m stretched out. A modified footrest that was pushed back about 3 inches would be ideal. I have a Glamis trip the second week April so I want to have it all dialed in before then. Y’all have seen my wood work, maybe I’ll just throw some 2x4’s down there after I cut out the plastic. Just kidding, I have a plan.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also bought some adhesive backed neoprene pads that I can put on my dash. I have the rugged radios dash kit and my right knee hits right on the top bolt which is annoying and uncomfortable by the end of the day.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maybe drill the skidplate to see from under the floorboard if there is empty space there? I would guess its just an empty space....
I am 6'1" and my girlfriend 5'1"
I bought her a OEM back cushion from the X3 seat and had straps sewn to it. When she drives she uses this so she is closer to the sterring wheels and pedals.
Is your seat all the way back as far as possible from the steering wheel?
I am curious to see your key relocation mod!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe drill the skidplate to see from under the floorboard if there is empty space there? I would guess its just an empty space....
I am 6'1" and my girlfriend 5'1"
I bought her a OEM back cushion from the X3 seat and had straps sewn to it. When she drives she uses this so she is closer to the sterring wheels and pedals.
Is your seat all the way back as far as possible from the steering wheel?
I am curious to see your key relocation mod!!
Nothing fancy on the relocate, in fact maybe even a little hoakey but it works. I just used the slack that was in the harness to move it where I did, otherwise I would have moved it inside the glove box. It will work for now. I have smoothed out the edges where I cut the key out
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Machine

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a little follow up. I cut the dead pedal out. Good news. As expected, there was nothing behind the plastic. There’s some exposed frame rail under there so I will fab up a metal plate that will give me an extra 3 or 4 inches of stretch. This will be a game changer for me and my comfort.

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
Just a little follow up. I cut the dead pedal out. Good news. As expected, there was nothing behind the plastic. There’s some exposed frame rail under there so I will fab up a metal plate that will give me an extra 3 or 4 inches of stretch. This will be a game changer for me and my comfort.
Where's there a will, there's usually a way! Good job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts