Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed the first break in ride on my new XRC Turbo R.

I did follow the settings provided to me from a fox sponsored racer, very similar to the "race set up" provided by fox on there website. Due to being the first ride I did not adjust the pre-load as I wanted to give the suspension an opportunity to break in. Needless to say I ran with 2 other cars which the owners were sucked into the need to re valve and re spring immediately after purchase to find that my car was better performing in their opinions after going through the same section in both cars.

With that being said I found two complaints with the car. First being the title of the thread.

The car definitely struggles with bumper steer in rough section. You find yourself fighting to hold the wheel, however the car despite the feedback tracks perfectly straight. I wanted to know if anyone had any solutions they felt were top quality and solved this issue.

Second issue: I found the brake feel to be horrendous as with most UTV's, however I found that slow speed brake modulation was challenging as the brakes felt they relied so heavily on pad force rather then friction. Of course the brakes are new so pad transfer is limited at this time, but I just felt the entire system to be spongy and overall just poor all around. Maybe a bleed may help improve this....

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I have not really noticed the bump steer like some have, the geometry is the same as the XRS and some guys are having an issue with it.

I don't feel the brakes are spongy and again the same as an XRS, like you said maybe bleed them. Tim

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
The bump steer is real on these cars. I too get a lot of feed back in the rough stuff at speed.

I have been told the bump steer kit by Shock Therapy works and will eliminate it. I saw that UTV, inc also makes a bump steer delete kit. I will be getting one of these kits.

As to the brakes - can am has never had great feeling brakes. After you get use to how they feel and work you get use to the spongy feeling .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up ordering the Shock Therapy Kit based on experience and reviews of many with the issue saying that that kit took most of it away with very little residual.

I spoke with UTV Inc today and was disappointed with the absolute lack of knowledge of there own products, on top of that the gentlemen I spoke with said that he is unfamiliar with bump steer and that his kit will not address that issue. I asked what the purpose was and he said it was because the stock tie rods fail in his experience, not sure I agree but that was enough to sell me away from that kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding is the shock re valving was done by "the suspension guy" don't know anything about this company or person. But I can tell you the cars rode great at moderate to slow speeds, anything beyond 45-50mph and the cars were so soft and the HSC and LSC had almost no changes when modified on the cars. Just seemed like it messed up the entire chassis attitude. If i'm honest, on a recreational side I cant imagine needing or wanting to really improve much on the ride and handling of my car currently shy of racing baja potentially. Then again this is a subjective opinion. But coming out of my pre runner im really amazed by the performance of the stock car with the settings for the stock suspension and tires. Hopefully the shock therapy kit paired with an alignment will fix the remainder.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Ok lets define what "Bump Steer" really means. This term is so often misunderstand that I feel compelled to talk about it. It is not rough feedback in the steering wheel. It is the change in Toe in and Toe out as the suspension travels from full droop to full compression. It is caused by the tie rod alignment with the "A" arms. The kits that are offered simply change the alignment. The issue that Bump Steer creates is when one or both front wheels are off the ground, the car will steer in the direction of the wheel that is in or make's contact with the ground first. Depending on the amount of Bump steer the car has determines how much of a correction is required to get the car running straight again. Hopes this clears it up.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Finally , I was going to say feedback is not bump steer .
I had a 6” liftkit on a oneton that the bump steer was so bad if you saw a big bump coming you had to let the wheel slip in your hands to keep the truck going straight . If held tight the truck would jump 2’ sideways with only about 4” of suspension cycle . A recall came out a few months later .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok lets define what "Bump Steer" really means. This term is so often misunderstand that I feel compelled to talk about it. It is not rough feedback in the steering wheel. It is the change in Toe in and Toe out as the suspension travels from full droop to full compression. It is caused by the tie rod alignment with the "A" arms. The kits that are offered simply change the alignment. The issue that Bump Steer creates is when one or both front wheels are off the ground, the car will steer in the direction of the wheel that is in or make's contact with the ground first. Depending on the amount of Bump steer the car has determines how much of a correction is required to get the car running straight again. Hopes this clears it up.

Are you suggesting that my issue is not "bump steer"?

If so what is it then and what could a fix be since I appear to be off line?

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Are you suggesting that my issue is not "bump steer"?

If so what is it then and what could a fix be since I appear to be off line?
I still think it is bump steer. Also it would probably help if Can Am gave us better power steering. My Polaris power steering was 100x better than what is on the X3. It is a lot more effort to move the steering wheel even on the max setting.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Weak power steering makes a unit have heavy feedback . The power steering being a under achiever has been mentioned many times so having too much feedback in the steering wheel is not surprising

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I would like to hear from someone that has changed out the power steering for the aftermarket one and find out how the steering feels now over rough terrain

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
First check your toe setting; if you're around zero or out the bump steer will make it worse, especially if only one side compresses.
And yes, the BSD kit from chock therapy works.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts

I did follow the settings provided to me from a fox sponsored racer, very similar to the "race set up" provided by fox on there website. Due to being the first ride I did not adjust the pre-load as I wanted to give the suspension an opportunity to break in. Needless to say I ran with 2 other cars which the owners were sucked into the need to re valve and re spring immediately after purchase to find that my car was better performing in their opinions after going through the same section in both cars.

With that being said I found two complaints with the car. First being the title of the thread.

The car definitely struggles with bumper steer in rough section. You find yourself fighting to hold the wheel, however the car despite the feedback tracks perfectly straight. I wanted to know if anyone had any solutions they felt were top quality and solved this issue.

Second issue: I found the brake feel to be horrendous as with most UTV's, however I found that slow speed brake modulation was challenging as the brakes felt they relied so heavily on pad force rather then friction. Of course the brakes are new so pad transfer is limited at this time, but I just felt the entire system to be spongy and overall just poor all around. Maybe a bleed may help improve this....
I still think it is bump steer. Also it would probably help if Can Am gave us better power steering. My Polaris power steering was 100x better than what is on the X3. It is a lot more effort to move the steering wheel even on the max setting.
Typically bump steer will cause the car to dart one way or the other as the travel is used up.

While I dont seem to notice significant bump steer it has been documented by several suspension people.

There is difference between feed back and bump steer.

Tim

Reactions: Baja and PropDr

·
Registered
387 Posts
The 2018's are improved

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Typically bump steer will cause the car to dart one way or the other as the travel is used up.

While I dont seem to notice significant bump steer it has been documented by several suspension people.

There is difference between feed back and bump steer.

Tim
True.

In my case sometimes I am fighting the steering wheel to keep it tracking.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
The 2018's are improved
If it is improved it is not by much. This in the sand and maybe in the dirt it is fine. I have not taken mine to the dirt yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts

I feel the exact same way about the brakes. I'm 5 months in on my 18 XRS and still cant get used to the brakes. I always wonder if there is anything wrong with them but I have looked at them over and over again. I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded their brakes....

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
If it is improved it is not by much. This in the sand and maybe in the dirt it is fine. I have not taken mine to the dirt yet.

The XRC is supposed to have more powerful power steering, but I haven't spent enough time in an XRS to give feedback. Tim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts