Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm about to go put a deposit on a new Maverick but I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Do I go for the XMR or the XRS.

A little back story behind the decision. Where I live there are a lot of sandy trails but also a lot of mud and muskeg. Personally, I could care less for mud, I like to go fast, but I'm also wanting to use the unit for camping/fishing/hunting etc, so I'd like something capable for the mud when the need arises. I also have a crowd that invites me out for rides that frequent the mud. They spend a lot of time pulling my little 450 race quad out lol.

So do I:
Buy the XRS, get the usual goodies (doors, roof, window, etc) plus an extra set of tires/wheels to play in the mud with
or
Spend the extra money on the XMR, plus the usual goodies and find some Bighorns on a private sale for the usual trail bashing.

I figure all said and done, it would be roughly $1000 difference, but I get the winch and snorkel with the XMR at least.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm having the same thought…essentially wondering if the XMR is the most well rounded version available. While I don't have a lot of mud around me now I'd like to buy one and keep it for a long time so who knows what I could get involved in well into the future. It does seem like adding a pair of take-off stock XRS wheels and tires would be a great way to have the best of both worlds.

Can anyone with an XMR give us their experience with doing just that? More specifically, once you've swapped on XRS wheels and tires is your machine essentially as good as, or even better, than an XRS? Also, once you've got XRS tires and lower the suspension are you able to lower the machine below what a stock XRS would be?

Good luck to all

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've been having the same thoughts on the suspension as well. Can the XMR shocks take the same abuse and handle equally as well.

Spending $25,000+ on a unit, I'd like to make sure I get the right one and keep it for the long run too.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Cheaper to buy an XRS and build it to run in deep mud than to buy the XMR and make it an all around ride in my opinion....

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've been emailing back and forth with the dealer and without running a snorkel kit and a winch on the XRS I'm sitting around $1000 difference, plus you don't get the air height adjustable suspension

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
true but I think the XRS shocks are superior to the airshocks on the XMR for 95% of all other riding conditions.....also, the XMR snorkels don't go high enough for a lot of folks as compared to the aftermarket setups that draw up around the roofline....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a big thing on my mind was the suspension but I could never get a definitive answer. Makes me lean towards the XRS a bit

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
lots of proven success with some shock tuning on the XRS shocks. I don't know of anyone offering anything on the XMR shocks at this time. Alex (AREED) can make your Maverick float with a dual rate and valve rework setup he offers....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at the XMR shocks in the stealership and they don't look quite as tuneable. Still good points to ponder.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I can tell you that I would not buy the XMR now that I have it if I was to do it over again. I do love my XMR but it would have been so much cheaper to have bought another model and modded it. I have been changing stuff around since I have bought mine. I am not impressed with the snorkel kit at all. It was not well thought out. I'm still in the middle of moving it to get a harness bar to work. For the ridding I have done so far the shocks seem ok. It is rough riding but I was expecting that anyway. I just put new wheels and tires on mine and it rides much better now though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. Well looks like I've made my decision. A few good points were made and I think XRS is the way to go.

Thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I bought the XMR because it had the winch,14 inch wheels,snorkels,already clutched for the 30's and speedometer calibrated for the big tires plus the air ride gives you some crazy ground clearance. However the cons the silverbacks will shake your teeth out of your head at slow speeds and at high speeds on pavement like driving on ice, plus the make the machine 68 inch wide.The snorkels are fine for me because I do not plan on going that deep and they look cool not pvc running up your cage.I borowed a set of 12" bighorns and it does ride nice but running a 12 will trap rocks and break rim or brakes or both. The air ride does seem to ride rough I will go for a ride with a buddys machine and compare.Not sure what to tell you I like mine but sometimes I think a XRS may have been better???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey man I was in the same boat as u considering both. From the research I have done on here and other places I have heard the Xmr shocks ride stiffer and are less tuneable. I think a Xrs can be made into a decent mud machine with some different tires and a winch and maybe the sport low mod. I ended up buying a new13 Xrs yesterday because it was 4300 cheaper than a 14 Xrs and came with 2 year warranty and I think I might put the super atv power steering along with lots of other accessories with the money I saved. I only live an hour from grande prairie.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey man I was in the same boat as u considering both. From the research I have done on here and other places I have heard the Xmr shocks ride stiffer and are less tuneable. I think a Xrs can be made into a decent mud machine with some different tires and a winch and maybe the sport low mod. I ended up buying a new13 Xrs yesterday because it was 4300 cheaper than a 14 Xrs and came with 2 year warranty and I think I might put the super atv power steering along with lots of other accessories with the money I saved. I only live an hour from grande prairie.
Ah right on. I'm gonna go with the 14 so it already has the power steering and some of the bugs worked out. Where abouts are you?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm in ft Mac so we have the same terrain basically. For the cost difference on the 2 I would go with the XRS and add needed mud accessories. I like the idea of an XMR but again for the diff in cost you would be better off with XRS. I put swamp lites on mine and have only had to winch twice, it pretty we'll goes through anything, good luck, either way you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I've been talking with the salesman and have a quote for the XRS with accessories. They want $1000 down to hold one for me till spring so I'm gonna mull it over for a few days before I commit and put the money down.

It's almost a whole new world for me here haha. I've been quading since I was 12 (30 now) and currently own 2 Yamaha YFZ450s, used to roll a first gen toyota pickup for offroading back when I lived in BC so I'm hoping I can appease my offroading itch and maybe even utilize it for hunting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts