Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Maverick Max. I'm not overly happy with low range, it's too close to high. I'm told the swapping to the xmr gear set is a popular upgrade. Anyone ever done it? 17% lower ratio worth all the work?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
a lot of guys who mainly mud ride do the gear switching …..also advantageous if you do any rock crawling /hill climbing.

have you looked into a clutch kit for low end power ?

are you reflashed to remove the low gear throttle limiter and half shaft saver ? do you have the low range override harness installed? if not your low gear isn't at full power

·
Registered
2019 Maverick sport xmr
11 Posts
Weird how different we all are. I don't like how low my low is in my 2019 xmr. I came from a wolverine r spec. I could run trail all day in low. Could cruise at 30. Without feeling stressing engine. Xmr in low seems like it's for crawling only.

·
Registered
710 Posts
vtalen it would be different if you had an OG maverick like the OP. your newer machine has a 40% gear reduction over the OPs original maverick. Big BIG difference in gearing and crawl'ability.

OP. the factory can-am gears are 14%

the 17% are advertised by SATV but i dont exactly know how they mathematically calculated 17% because changing one tooth count on the can-am nets a 7% change in overall gear ratio. so mathematically, you guessed it, multiples of 7. 7, 14, 21, 28, 35.... i dont get how they could possible have been able to achieve a 17% reduction but either way whether you get the OEM can-am parts of the SATV parts, yes the gearing is a noticable improvement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Vtalen How do you like your Mav sport compared to your R spec I'm looking to upgrade from a R spec also but I was leaning more towards an X3, but how is the ride quality with the suspension set up on the mav sport compared to your old yamy.
Weird how different we all are. I don't like how low my low is in my 2019 xmr. I came from a wolverine r spec. I could run trail all day in low. Could cruise at 30. Without feeling stressing engine. Xmr in low seems like it's for crawling only.

·
Registered
2019 Maverick sport xmr
11 Posts
vtalen it would be different if you had an OG maverick like the OP. your newer machine has a 40% gear reduction over the OPs original maverick. Big BIG difference in gearing and crawl'ability.

OP. the factory can-am gears are 14%

the 17% are advertised by SATV but i dont exactly know how they mathematically calculated 17% because changing one tooth count on the can-am nets a 7% change in overall gear ratio. so mathematically, you guessed it, multiples of 7. 7, 14, 21, 28, 35.... i dont get how they could possible have been able to achieve a 17% reduction but either way whether you get the OEM can-am parts of the SATV parts, yes the gearing is a noticable improvement.
Not sure about the gear reduction. Other guys on here said the parts are the same in xmr transmission. Only change is clutching

1 - 6 of 6 Posts