Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The suspension sucks. I have the shocks set to Fox spec's, with the crossovers slightly higher than spec. It does fine through whoops, jumps, etc. but just traversing dunes and driving through rutted sand, it absolutely beats me to death. I softened up the low and high speed compression all the way with no noticeable change.

Something has to change....

So I'm thinking about sending these POS Fox shocks to Alex Reed at CT Race Worx. Has anyone sent their shocks to Alex (or even Shock Therapy) and can tell a profound difference in ride quality over small chop like rutted sand, trails, etc.? If so, how drastic was the change? If I'm spending $1300+ I want a major change for the better. I'm looking for a plush ride across choppy dunes with the ability to still handle whoops and small jumps.

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
Man, if you think the suspension sucks on an X3, you should have driven around a long travel Rhino, LOL! It sucked, but we still thought it was great! You have to understand, you are going to feel stuff, ruts, holes, etc. These aren't Benzs or Caddies, these are off road cars. Go watch a video of a trophy truck with $100,000 suspension under it, yet the driver and his co pilot's heads are bouncing around all over the cockpit.

How is your rebound? Rebound, is very important. Wherever you have it at, probably isn't enough. I would speed it up at least 4 clicks, and try it again. POS Fox shocks? Hardly. The faster you go, the better they work, and shock for that matter. JMO, trying to help.

Reactions: EX-IT-3

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2016 RZR 1000 2-seater with stock Walker Evans felt so much more plush at low speed and high.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Are your tires aired up to over 20psi?

Matt

·
Registered
454 Posts
Interesting how those who ride in the dunes seem to have the most difficultly with the stock shocks. And for what it's worth each person seems to have their own vision on how they want the car to handle. To some extent I am at a advantage with many years riding motocross. Having to adjust my suspension for each track and conditions. My point here is, I found that the stock suspension, with some dampening adjustment, can be made to work pretty good. I have left the springs in the stock position for now. My last off road race, which included some sand whoops, but mostly rutted fire roads and some good sized rocks, was out performing most in my class. The only guys passing or staying up with me were ones that spent sizable amounts of money on their suspension. I hope you don't have to spend to much and can find a happy medium.

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
Are your tires aired up to over 20psi?

Matt
20 psi is way, way too much at the dunes. You should be depending on tire choice somewhere between 6 and 10 psi.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
20 psi is way, way too much at the dunes. You should be depending on tire choice somewhere between 6 and 10 psi.
Exactly my point, curious what tires or paddles he had on it and if they were aired up to much. I also think the fox settings are way off, read the 500 posts on poundsands thread and a few others to get better DS baseline settings

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
11 is to much for the sand, I backed off to 7-8
All depends on the tires, and the widths. I run 7 psi in my STUs on my Cat, and 10 psi in my Skats on the X3.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The suspension sucks. I have the shocks set to Fox spec's, with the crossovers slightly higher than spec. It does fine through whoops, jumps, etc. but just traversing dunes and driving through rutted sand, it absolutely beats me to death. I softened up the low and high speed compression all the way with no noticeable change.

Something has to change....

So I'm thinking about sending these POS Fox shocks to Alex Reed at CT Race Worx. Has anyone sent their shocks to Alex (or even Shock Therapy) and can tell a profound difference in ride quality over small chop like rutted sand, trails, etc.? If so, how drastic was the change? If I'm spending $1300+ I want a major change for the better. I'm looking for a plush ride across choppy dunes with the ability to still handle whoops and small jumps.
I understand your situation. PM me and we can plan a time to meet up and you can compare your stock suspension to my CT setup before you pull the trigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts