Discussion Starter #286
Never not a fan of anything above the roofline
I modified the Fabwerx mounts to get the light lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do you find the shock tower lights extend far enough

The dealer outfitted it with a no name light bar that pukes out light but not far enough for my old eyes

Like you my lights have always been below the hood line except for two flip-up Hellas 1000 that weigh about 20 pounds each

But like all of you the factory 650 watt stator doesn’t leave any room for blah light

Kinda looking at the BD Squadron cube to me the factory high beams are marginal each are 55 watts either a 10 on shock tower or the Squadron up higher below my eyes

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I run the two amber sections up top
The shock tower and s1 cubes in the fender wells

Just installed only a shock tower on my cousins car
This is about what it puts out

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Onyx 6

I run an s8 shock tower light on the wifes car, good enough for cruising

Way better then the stock headlights

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice !! I run out of light on the course along Shea road coming back from town

Figure I will retain the stock low for the road @ night

Looks like your house is east of skunks works?

Thanks for the information

·
Registered
149 Posts
If ur thinking about going with BD anyway, you may want to think about their headlight replacement rig. Our power is out tonight so I was out forking around in the desert for the first time since I installed them. Impressive I have to say. Makes my 10” rigid shock tower mounted bar obsolete. Very wide light path if you want since you can direct the light as you see fit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would like to but street driving Parker around would probably get the PoPo interested

Have seen some home videos of rides that converted impressive

Anyone trying the new BD laser now a laser 10 bar ? Hard to Decide

·
Registered
149 Posts
street driving Parker around would probably get the PoPo interested
Not sure why..... You would still have dim/bright functionality just like OEM. You can aim them so the lows won't blind oncoming traffic. They are even a similar temperature to OEM. I don't think the OEM headlights are DOT approved by any means, not sure there would be any difference really?

Your rig,,,, your comfort level obviously. ;)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I dont get why people say you have to unbolt your harnesses to get the seats out. Ive had mine out and never take a single bolt off my harnesses.
I'm with you, I just pull the strap through the buckle and pull the seats, then run the strap back through once I put the seats back in.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
547 Posts
You make a good point after looking closely at their set up it looks as though there is decent adjustments and as they say it’s not much more wattage than factory

So I guessing you have them on your rig and don’t have any issues with oncoming traffic

Much appreciated

·
Registered
149 Posts
So I guessing you have them on your rig and don’t have any issues with oncoming traffic
I do have them on X3, but I don't drive in traffic, or on the road much at all for that matter, so I can't attest to oncoming traffic issues. I figured they'd be fine since you can aim them, but I guess you have a point if the throw is too wide/tall,,,, that could be a potential issue.

The Valley may be a bad example anyway. I see 4x4's running around here all the time with their off-road lights blazing, blinding everyone. Nothing really ever seems to be done about it, same schmucks every day, so I'm not sure how much it's enforced around here. Parker may be a different story.?

·
Registered
547 Posts
True the guys are upping the wattage on the headlamps 80/100 and raking the stance to well hopefully they know it creates oversteer

But somehow its cool because it like a TT than they tow the boat out here and lights everywhere

But looking at the set up, the three lamps each side could be controlled separately OR maybe I'm sweating it to much just let it rip

You noticed a marked improvement mostly side elimination I guess

Im thinking the the stimulus money is heading that way or a 45 ACP AR pistol before Beto says no way

·
Registered
149 Posts
After the BD kit is installed, the low beam OEM switch lights up 2 of the 3 cubes per side (outer two). The bright position on the OEM switch lights up the third cube on each side. That's how the pigtail that comes with the kit works anyway. One could make their own pigtail or modify the BD pigtail to do one cube on with low beams, all three cubes on with high beams etc.

The BD kit is overall much brighter than the OEM headlights. The fact that you can adjust the direction of the cubes some out to the sides obviously spreads the throw out over a much wider path. I'm off-road almost exclusively, so I run them on "high beam" almost all the time. I tried to set the cube that comes on with the High Beam switch a bit high, but straight in line with the car. The other two I spread out incrementally to max allowable sideways throw. (if that makes sense?)

End result was a pretty decent level of light at a fairly wide pattern. Cool thing is, you can send them all straight down the road, or send some high, some low if that's what you want. Very flexible kit, using OEM switch etc.

Not sure if you can see the angles of the individual cubes in the below pic,,, but this is how I set mine up.... Inner spot is in line with the car, aimed parallel with the ground. (comes on with High Beam switch) Middle spot is angled out to the side a bit and parallel with the ground, Outer flood is angled out to the side as far as the metal mounting plate allows.

For me this works great, for running around on the street maybe not?? If you just want a ton of light output, but want to keep your OEM headlights, throw a couple of XL80's on the A-pillar or on a bumper and you will light up the world. The XL80's put out much more light than the headlamp kit for about the same money, but you will need a way to mount them and the switch-gear to run them. (if you don't already have that stuff)

When I have the BD headlights all on,, I can barely tell when I fire up the 10" Rigid bar.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sexy setup

I'm really thinking of that set up and the shock-tower light is the best thing for my old eyesight

Appreciate the information

281 - 300 of 300 Posts