Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

X3 XDS RR 6+1 vs. 5+2 offset

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SideXEach 
#1 ·
Just looking for any info from folks who have gone from a 6+1 stock rim to a 5+2 as far as steering feedback on a 64" X3. Does it throw off the scrub radius enough to be into the "bad zone"?

I did read one post somewhere in the tires and wheels section with a member saying the car handled noticeably better with 6+1 over the 5+2.

Anyone experience the same? Is it that noticable? Or not so big of a big deal?

I lose a bit of width cranking the ride height up. So the 5+2 would help a little bit with that. Plus I'm looking at grabbing some S3 A arms and they require a 1.5" wheel spacer or at least a 5+2 offset.

I'm sure people will say do not use wheel spacers. And I don't want to make the steering suck with scrub radius issues causing steering feedback and wearing out parts.

I want to run 30" tires if that matters...

Thanks.

#2 ·
i've got 5/2 system 3 rims with 32's and i've not noticed any change, we ride WV and Tenn. trails our car is 64"

Reactions: SideXEach
#3 ·
Did the same moving to SB5 5+2 and 32" Terramasters on my 2020 RC 64". I also added Shock Therapy BSD kit at the same time. I noticed no additional feedback/bump steer and I've ridden some damn rocky areas here in the PNW. If anything, I think the addition of the BSD kit had more of a positive effect that outweighs any negative the 5+2 might have incurred. I'd also run 5+2 well before I would ever touch 1-2" spacers. Spacers on these machines are above the worst possible thing to be done in many ways.

#6 ·
One thing I know for sure is the Shock Therapy BSD kit will NOT fix bump steer caused from bad scrub radius. It will only fix bump steer from suspension travel. That is the word from Justin himself at Shock Therapy.

But that proves the 5/2 has not given you any noticable bump steer.

Thanks everybody I'm confident enough from the replies to go with a 5/2 wheel.

#4 ·
I run a set of 30x10x14 stock wheels and tires from a 2018 XRS on my 2018 XDS with BSC tie rods. Works perfect. Car is 63 inches wide front and rear with 15" ride height in the front and 14.5 in the rear. All four wheels on the early XRS are the same wheels as the fronts on XDS. Rear XDS and '20-'21 XRS are 8". Just make sure you can keep the power on when going hard in the corners. Otherwise it gets interesting.

#7 ·
Steer with the gas pedal... Roger that haha👍.

I was just going to run 8" stock rims on all 4 corners but I was leaning towards BFG KM3 tires and apparently the thick beads on the KM3 do not mesh well with the stock rims.

Looks like I'm going with 15's. Plus I need those 5/2 wheels to work with S3 A arms. Getting a bit of width back from taller ride height is a bit of a bonus I guess.

#5 ·
You need to look at the backspacing and offset. I went with the method 401s high offset 5+0 recommended from shock therapy to keep the geometry the same on the suspension. I forget what the offset was for factory but it is really high on these something like 76 rings a bell. I run a 32-10-15 KM3 on there and works great for my desert riding. Good luck.

#13 ·
Yeah man thats why I'm staying no bigger than 30. I'm not so concerned with monster truck ride height. I would rather lean towards acceleration as opposed to top speed as well. Keep my COG down a bit from what most people are doing. Trying to be a weight conscious as I can as well while still making the car structurally strong.

No stereos will ever be on my ride haha.

#14 ·
Stereo are the funiest thing I have ever seen on those things. I ride with a Sena communication system to speak with my passenger and friends in other car, and a full throttle i have a hard time hearing what they say.... i cant imagine how people can hear music from a speaker 3 feet away...
Once parked it is probably cool though!!
30 inches is the sweet spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.