Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
That was a ill informed statement. The steel used on the X3 is dual phase 980. You should research that.

That steel had properties that make it absorb more energy the faster it is crushed.

So comparing it to mild steel is ridiculous.

There is a tremendous amount of science in the steel and it's designed to absorb a blow.

This is the same steel used by automakers to incorporate crumple zones for occupant protection.

I have seen steel from CHYNA be rusted on new products.

Tim
My point is that the wall thickness is much better on the Speed and a proven choice in off-road. Even if it is not the highest quality steel I would bet it will hold up much better than the X3 frame. Also the Speed car has designs in it for failure points to protect the occupants (they have said as much in some posts). Overall on paper and from the drawings the Speed frame is a better set up for strength and longevity in offroad than our X3. Robby is no dummy and knows what he is doing from a design stand point.

I have looked into the dual phase 980 and yes it is pretty strong stuff and used in the auto industry. It does not mean it is the best choice for offroad. I have plenty of sawzall blades and drill bits that are toast from trying to cut on it and drill on it. Frame cracks that develop on the X3 tell me they may have gone with the wrong type of material for the design they choice.

Can Am went with the 980 to save weight by using a thinner wall thickness, which they could do because of the 980 properties. Notice how they had to thicken up the wall thickness in some areas on the 2019 and 2020 frames? They would of been better served to start off with a thicker material and add a few pounds.

Reactions: 1HasBeen

·
Registered
106 Posts
My point is that the wall thickness is much better on the Speed and a proven choice in off-road. Even if it is not the highest quality steel I would bet it will hold up much better than the X3 frame. Also the Speed car has designs in it for failure points to protect the occupants (they have said as much in some posts). Overall on paper and from the drawings the Speed frame is a better set up for strength and longevity in offroad than our X3. Robby is no dummy and knows what he is doing from a design stand point.

I have looked into the dual phase 980 and yes it is pretty strong stuff and used in the auto industry. It does not mean it is the best choice for offroad. I have plenty of sawzall blades and drill bits that are toast from trying to cut on it and drill on it. Frame cracks that develop on the X3 tell me they may have gone with the wrong type of material for the design they choice.

Can Am went with the 980 to save weight by using a thinner wall thickness, which they could do because of the 980 properties. Notice how they had to thicken up the wall thickness in some areas on the 2019 and 2020 frames? They would of been better served to start off with a thicker material and add a few pounds.
If its china steel i would be concerned about how uniform the thickness is. There were plenty of drag race chassis builders that would refuse to use china steel as the thickness varried so much in a piece of tubing.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts