Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

X3 The Suspension Guy tuning session

35K views 121 replies 38 participants last post by  NEPAX3XMR 
#1 ·
Who's going this weekend? Johnson Valley June 3, x3 cars... Ed has demo shocks he can bolt on your car and you can take it for a spin. Or he can tune your shocks on the spot. Take advantage of this, he tuned mine and wow what a difference, well worth it.. he also has Walker Evans sway bar links, so he can bolt then right on your car.
Shoot him a text 714-343-3399.

#17 ·
We will be in Johnson Valley, tomorrow, Saturday October 7 tuning X3 and other can am cars, XPs also.
Come on out and check it out! You can take a car for a ride and compare the levels of suspension tuning for your ride!!
I can tune your stock car on the spot!
and I will also have Walker Evans Sway bar links available! So we can bolt them right on !
Find out what’s possible for your car! You will never know unless you compare!

Text is best!
thanks
Ed
714-343-3399

#18 · (Edited)
Recently, we have revisited the stock Suspension tune to both x3rS and X 3DS. It seams the stock springs really start to compress down and loose some lenght memory and possibly some spring rate. While I have been setting up my customers with a good enitial stock set up, we have had to adjust it down the road. So I have now been leaning to just setting the car up initially to still work best even after it settles in and breaks in. This all took some time as owners put more miles and time on thier machines!

We have been in the Socal desert last 3 weekends continuing tuning the x3rS and x3DS stock Suspension as well as fine tuning my customers new revalved stock and aftermarket Suspensions. By doing this in person! Its going the extra distance to tune and tweek owners cars to meet the individuals needs and wants. Everyone is a different in driving style, areas driven, and car loads. So one set up surly does not fit the masses!

Im going to keep saying this!
Get out there and drive or ride in cars with the Suspension improvements before you spend big money! Or talk, one on one, with someone you may know and trust that has a drive style similar to your own drive style that had spent money on a full shock redo.
If you just like plush ride, cruising the dunes? Taking to a young desert racer isn’t going to help you much? Catch the drift??

There are a few levels of Suspension improvement. Tweeking the Stock set up, ( most popular) and or adding, say springs? Or the biggest improvment, full revalve and set up of your stock shocks, or going aftermarket shocks with proper customer shock work. And proper set up for your personal needs.

But talking about this on the forums is not the same as getting in these cars and comparing! When it comes to spending the big money! THe BEST WAY is Actually getting a ride and or driving and feeling what the that car does! YOURSELF! YOU!
How does the car handle in the flesh!!?
Not a video, Not people taking that don’t even own the particular vehicle??
In the end,
It’s about you! The owner, driver! DRiving or getting a good informative ride!
Does the car instill more confidence to drive? Does it feel safer to drive at many levels? How does it put a smile on your face, the familys face overall? And I’m talking OVERALL! Is it good or better in one set of conditions? And maybe not so good, or worse in another?

I already know! I do it also! As a drive tuner, I drive everyone’s cars! So i can know what’s out there! It’s experiance to feel how others tune also. And compare it myself. THen compare to what owners and customers feel also. Then make judgments on my own tunes based on the CUSTOMER/DRIVER wants and needs.

This way, you can make a good choice for your favorite Suspension tuner and set up your car closer to your needs!

So! Get out there and get a ride and drive!
Good luck!

Moto!!

P.S.
part of these tune sessions in the dez and dunes is for owners to come visit and check out what’s really going on! Get a ride or go drive a car! My car is always getting driven!!
most, if not all my customers are more than happy, if not totally excited to show you, offer a ride, or offer thier own car for you to test drive!!
How can you do any better than this??
oh ya?? You can! You bolt on a set of my demos and go drive your own car!

Doesn’t get any better than this

#19 · (Edited)

I am one of the happy clients of ed's. I spent the day with him yesterday dialing in my stock x3xds. WOW!!!! What a difference this made in my car. By the end of the day he had me pinned at 80 MPH through the woops at Johnson valley. Also got to drive his car. His custom suspention tune is so sweet and plush on his car. After all said and done I deletes sway bar and he dialed the shocks perfect. After running the same section of trail over and over again this is pretty dialed for now till I have him do the valving. If you live in the Socal area you don't pass up on ed's knowledge. I drove my car for a whole year last year and had a fabulous time. But when I got in my car after I did my suspension it was like getting into a brand new Maverick x3 experiencing it for the first time.

Thanks Ed

#23 ·
The Suspension Guy Press release !
I picked up my set of x3rS Kings today! After some testing and some decision making, this is the final x3rS product!
Full Race King IBP, 2.5 fronts and real 3.0 remote Rez rears.
finned reservoirs front and rear with built in rear Rez frame clamps.

These babies will get taken apart and the Ed recipe injected!!
These are mine, so they will be added to the demo group if they are not already on my car! I’m always testing shocks and making them better! So all my shocks are rotated, and updated.

More pics to come, and drive reviews also.

Attachments

#24 ·
Ed will you be out at the desert race in Lucerne on the 21-22 of October reason I'm wondering I know a lot of vendors will be there do to this being their 50th anniversary and if you are I would like to talk to you about making some shock adjustments
Thank you
Rob

#26 · (Edited)
if i can get my pile of shocks done this week? I may be out there!
I also may have a X3 xRC with me also with shocks fully valved and sprung if I can get it finnished?!

and I will have testing and improving to do on Walker Evans Velocity and Kings to hammer on!! Improving these shocks, as well as the Stock Foxes is a never ending process!!

#27 ·
For anyone who would like to Experience some different Suspension tunes for the X3 in the glamis area dez and dunes? ( since this is the camAm forum). I will be be in the area pretty much all this coming week and weekend tuning all kinds of cars all over the area. Drive tuning UTV cars and up to Baller 1500hp full size sand racers!

So if you want to “see for free” experience what is possible out of your x3 car? Shoot me a text! I will try and get back to you and you can meet up with myself and others that now know!

If you own a x3? This is for YOUR benefit! If your confused by lots of forum fodder? Than come see it all in the real

moto

#30 ·
Im in the same position, If I could just find the spring rates for the springs front and rear I will just replace the junk ones instead of paying a grand to replace 4 bad springs. Kartek has springs and the ones for the 2.5 are $100 or so and the ones for the 3.0 are slightly more. For $250 we could fix the rear if someone will just sell us what's bad instead of a full set.

#33 ·
for sure!
I have a bunch of customer owners up your way! Probably going to do a tune day or two in Cal city area also! I kinda have a area where people find me in Johnson Valley, (KOH area), but I will have to set another place in the Mohave direction too.
Ton of fun! Plenty of people show up with nice rides all looking to get the best ride and handling out of thier cars! Great place to meet new people and share stories.

#45 ·
I’m working on a day maybe next week

Yes, the new CanAm X3 seems to be sparking more (new) interest in fun fast desert riding. This is added to all the die hard dez drivers already ripping it up!
These tuning sessions in the dez and Dunes help the owners learn what best adjustments fit them individually as they learn and feel what thier car is capable of.
It also lets me see more what the owners drivers want most!
Then I can make my adjustments to Make that car even more driver freindly and set the cars closer right out of the box as far as my set up goes.

My goal always, but even more lately, has been to work a recipe that is as close to almost perfect in the dez and trails, but also, with a few Compression adjuster adjustments, you can rip the Dunes at a high level!
I hear and see owners complain about some Suspension tunes that may work well in one place, but not so well in another. Most, but not all Today’s UTV owners would like their car to do everything well.
With these newer cars, and better shocks over all, ends up making it easier for me to get more performance out of the suspension in MORE conditions.

The dez and trails prefer a much softer plush feel in the rough, and whoops and all speeds. While the dunes prefer firmer settings to deal with faster driving and more bottom out resistance.
This means tuning the car to have enough adjustment in reserve to deal with both extremes. So, for example, as you may have great settings for the dez, do you have any adjustments in reserve to firm up the ride for the dunes! Or is your set up nice and firm for the dunes, but not much adjustment to soften up the dez and trail set up???
When I get the tune I want, that dosnt mean I’m finished! I need to further get that tune to where I want it so the owner has plenty of room to tweek it for any terrain or cargo or passenger weights.

An example is, with just the driver in the car, and your in the dez, or trails, and your compression adjusters are nearly full closed or at a point that any firmer adjustment dosnt really change the ride as you add a passenger, or cargo, or run the dunes???
With this same driver, my adjustments are nearly full soft for an excellent ride! Then there is plenty of room to firm up as needed for both increased cargo load and or terrain change requiring firmer settings.
The ONLY adjustments nessasary are the compression adjuster. Ride hieght, crossovers, and rebound usually do not need changing.

#46 ·
Here are a couple of pics of my set up. The passenger side rear shock has been rubbing on the crossover rings. And from the pic (ever so slight) it looks like the springs curve. None of the other shocks on my car are rubbing and/or curve. Second...... With the temps being in the range of 200'F+ on the passenger rear shock, have you seen any problems with the temps being so high be an issue on this shock? The drivers rear shock runs around 100'F and the same with the front. Now on my Husqvarna TE300 rear shock (comparing apples and oranges I know) it will run well past 200'F on long rough courses when I race. So the temp's might not be a issues but...... ??? On MX/Offroad bikes, shock companies have found that the springs wind up and cause spikes in the control of the shock (points that have the spring releasing it's energy as like a "snap"). When shock companies install a needle type bearing on the spring/contact surface, this goes away and the spring now has a linear stroke. Making it feel way smoother in it's action. Has anyone done this for the SXS market? And if not... Why?
I also included a pic of the rear sway bar links I made. It's hard to see but they also have spacers that make the link more parallel to the trailing arm. What I have seen or really heard, is the banging noise is almost gone. Very very little noise comes from the back of the car as far as this goes. What say you?

Suspension part Coil spring Auto part Suspension Shock absorber
Suspension part Auto part Suspension Coil spring Brake

#47 ·
Ride 200 mile, first place you have your car setup by Shock Therapy and you're writing on Ed's (Pound Sand) Thread

I'm confused why are you asking me questions here? Besides I haven't done a CanAm X3 or DS model car and don't have any plans in the future. I think your questions should really be directed to Shock Therapy.

It is a nice looking sway bar link you made!

Ask Ed or Shock Therapy their thoughts on the Walker Evans Shock Link for you car. I have one on my CanAm X3 XRS and I am starting to really love it!

Gary

#48 · (Edited)
Like a seeing a Dr., just asking another opinion I guess. Pound Sand then..??? ST said this was normal and I'm not really buying into that. It just might be normal, but I've never had a coil over shock do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.