Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 1122 Posts

·
Vendor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,084 ·
My tuned Kings, shock pics, it’s just another choice as is all the other CanAm parts and accessories!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That hi/speed adjustment only accounts for less than 15 percent of your dampening in that area. Those adjusters are for "fine tuning". The bulk of the work is controlled by the main piston valving. So there is no "virtually no dampening" action happening from this adjuster being open full.

Plus you have the action of the bipass ports.
And shock position adding to this formula. Lot going on!

We can compare the hi/speed adjuster to the top pad on the bed you sleep on. It helps adjust the initial firmness, that is the very beginning movement of the shock.

Do you like a really firm pad?? Or a softer plusher one? This helps your entry into the main bed mattress. The softer you run the top pad, the firmer you can run the bottom mattress (for g-out) since you have a soft entry

Now, if your the kid that likes to hi dive launch yourself into that bed?? Or gets up on the tall bedroom furniture, And jumps on that bed? You going to blow through that soft pad and carry lots of speed into that main mattress! And bottom outs will happen more often. So you would prefer the all around firmer top pad( hi/speed). And firmer bottom mattress( low-speed ) adjustments.

If your a different driver that does not need this firm of set up?? If Your more smooth and fast and flow, pick your lines? Then why suffer with a firmer pad? Softer and smooth is good!
From my experiance, "most" drivers do not require the firmest set up and are much more happy with the plusher ride, that means a softer pad and but still firm mattress!
Especially if moma and or the kids are in the car. Everyone has thier own style of driving, and those styles require sometimes hugely different shock set ups. One way is not the only way.
It's up to the driver to decide what they need?
That way the tuner can more adequately set up their suspension to fit that style.
Ed,

I adjusted both low speed and high speed open as you suggested, the ride was nice but?? i noticed that i have some oil leaking out of the top of the shock? should i turn back a half turn? let me know your thoughts, Thanks

·
Vendor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,087 ·
Ed,

I adjusted both low speed and high speed open as you suggested, the ride was nice but?? i noticed that i have some oil leaking out of the top of the shock? should i turn back a half turn? let me know your thoughts, Thanks
Turn back 1/4 turn, you have little oring seals in those mechanisms and if you turn them tight to wide open, dirt and debris may get squished into them. Use some compressed air and or some brake cleaner to knock out sand and dirt. Then turn the adjusters again a few turns, clean again, and then set to desired position. But don’t crank them tight wide-open or full closed. Back off a 1/4 turn at the end

·
Registered
15 Posts
Turn back 1/4 turn, you have little oring seals in those mechanisms and if you turn them tight to wide open, dirt and debris may get squished into them. Use some compressed air and or some brake cleaner to knock out sand and dirt. Then turn the adjusters again a few turns, clean again, and then set to desired position. But don’t crank them tight wide-open or full closed. Back off a 1/4 turn at the end
Thank you,

·
Vendor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,089 ·
For my My King shock customers, or anyone else interested? I finally have more x3 king shock sets in stock than I have deposits for!!
So I have king shocks in both black anodized and blue anodized in stock, on the shelf ready to custom valve and set up to fit owners preferences.
custom color spring powder coating available also.
10 days to 2 weeks or less on these king shock orders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having issues with 2021 x3rs max. When I dune it points stright to the sky until 3 wheels are over the crest or over the down hill then bucks. (No matter the angle of approach.)I need to adjust as I'm coming from a sandrail long travel that actually uses the independent suspension. Any tips on fixing this. Thanks!

·
Vendor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,091 ·
Having issues with 2021 x3rs max. When I dune it points stright to the sky until 3 wheels are over the crest or over the down hill then bucks. (No matter the angle of approach.)I need to adjust as I'm coming from a sandrail long travel that actually uses the independent suspension. Any tips on fixing this. Thanks!
Many parts to this, front rebound must be set faster, rear must be set slower, front compression set firmer, Lower set front crossovers and taller ride hight, , rear softer to start, firmer later.
I dont know how your car is a loaded? what tires?? do you weigh 150lbs or 350lbs, and passenger Weights? is anyone in the rear? no one? Children? Adults? cargo? 6 pack ice chest? Or 60 drink yeti?? Many variables that make a difference if you want the optimum seat up.
I offer in the dunes and dez drive tuning for a fee. You bring the car to me (Make an appointmen) and wE tune what you have to work best we can. stock Suspension and or after new valving and or springs. this is best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many parts to this, front rebound must be set faster, rear must be set slower, front compression set firmer, Lower set front crossovers and taller ride hight, , rear softer to start, firmer later.
I dont know how your car is a loaded? what tires?? do you weigh 150lbs or 350lbs, and passenger Weights? is anyone in the rear? no one? Children? Adults? cargo? 6 pack ice chest? Or 60 drink yeti?? Many variables that make a difference if you want the optimum seat up.
I offer in the dunes and dez drive tuning for a fee. You bring the car to me (Make an appointmen) and wE tune what you have to work best we can. stock Suspension and or after new valving and or springs. this is best.
32 SS360 tires . all riders around 600 pounds total . no coolers bumpers or racks. ride height and shocks left stock. The car is super stiff and like a springboard but travels the woops we'll. Just wanting it to creep over the dunes 1 a arm at a time . Any base line adjustments like ride height and turns on the shocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello ED, have you had a chance to play around with the suspension settings on a 2021 X3 Max with Smart Shock? If so, what are you thoughts? Can you perform re-valve work to them? What I am finding out is that I operate in comfort mode all the time. I do mostly trail and desert with some minor sand dune driving. I am not a dune jumper. I would like to be able to set up the suspension to operate as follows. Comfort mode - for trail and minor rock crawling. Sport mode - for fast sand trail and desert and Sport + - for aggressive or dune driving. Not sure if that is possible, but the wife likes a softer ride.

Thank you for your time,

·
Vendor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,094 ·
Hello ED, have you had a chance to play around with the suspension settings on a 2021 X3 Max with Smart Shock? If so, what are you thoughts? Can you perform re-valve work to them? What I am finding out is that I operate in comfort mode all the time. I do mostly trail and desert with some minor sand dune driving. I am not a dune jumper. I would like to be able to set up the suspension to operate as follows. Comfort mode - for trail and minor rock crawling. Sport mode - for fast sand trail and desert and Sport + - for aggressive or dune driving. Not sure if that is possible, but the wife likes a softer ride.

Thank you for your time,
It’s in the works. Yes, the stock set up is a bit harsh in the rough as compared to what it can be, and not super balanced the way it “should“ be.
With new spring rates, the car will run more balanced and take away “some“ of the harshness and allow you to use all modes in many condition.
coming soon

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s in the works. Yes, the stock set up is a bit harsh in the rough as compared to what it can be, and not super balanced the way it “should“ be.
With new spring rates, the car will run more balanced and take away “some“ of the harshness and allow you to use all modes in many condition.
coming soon
Awesome, looking forward to hear what you got in store for these shocks and Smart Shock system. Keep me posted to your progress.

Thanks again,

·
Vendor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,096 ·
Black anodized Kings with EVO Grey powder coat springs.

Both, Black and Blue anodized x3 72in wide car sets in stock. I valve and spring these to meet your needs, 2 or 4 seat, Dez or Dunes or both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
PoundSand,
Its been a while sense I have stopped in and I see a lot of King Shocks that you have for sale.
I have a couple of question. Do the King Shocks have "Rebound" adjustment? I look at your pics and I don't see any knob adjuster for it..... still green here, so don't laugh to hard if I am missing something.
also, going from a 2.5" to a 3" dia. shock is there going to be any advantages doing so?
I do a lot of mtn trail riding, desert and maybe a couple times a yr I will go to the dunes. I have a Can-am x3 64" w/ roof rack, spare tire pivot rack and running Tusk 30" tires.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Hood

·
Vendor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,098 ·
The King Shocks do not have an external rebound adjustment. When I valve the shocks the rebound valving is set accordingl To my recipe specs. With my rebound valving specs, rebound adjusters would not be necessary As it is already built in To balance the car.
Plus, I have a few other ways of making minor rebound adjustments without disassembling the shocks. The only adjustment on the King Shocks is the red dial, with 26 clicks of compression adjustment. I set up the shocks so you can have the softest settings with the clickers set mostly open, for the roughest terrain, or you can go for more firm settings for the Sand dunes by turning them clockwise,

·
Registered
3 Posts
The King Shocks do not have an external rebound adjustment. When I valve the shocks the rebound valving is set accordingl To my recipe specs. With my rebound valving specs, rebound adjusters would not be necessary As it is already built in To balance the car.
Plus, I have a few other ways of making minor rebound adjustments without disassembling the shocks. The only adjustment on the King Shocks is the red dial, with 26 clicks of compression adjustment. I set up the shocks so you can have the softest settings with the clickers set mostly open, for the roughest terrain, or you can go for more firm settings for the Sand dunes by turning them clockwise,
Hi mate have you got a pricing structure for the kings ? Sorry just new to the forum and looking for info on the KING upgrades. Do you have company facebook page ?

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Hi mate have you got a pricing structure for the kings ? Sorry just new to the forum and looking for info on the KING upgrades. Do you have company facebook page ?
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Best to PM Ed for prices.

1081 - 1100 of 1122 Posts