Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1021 - 1037 of 1037 Posts

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,022
Working long hours trying to get everyone’s shock jobs Finished.

My New King set up just keeps getting more and more popular!
Real 2.5 front shocks with real 3.0 rears!

King finishing up some of my Black anodized sets before they go to my bench for the custom tune and set up.

Attachments

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,023
Of course the stock Fox shocks are the norm, theses are in stacks in the shop getting tuned up. These will rival anyone’s setup!!

But not much talk about the other amazing shocks available from King and the Walker evans velocities.

The Walker Evans x3 Velocity Shocks.
These are 2.5 fronts and new 3.0 rears! I can’t get these fast enough!
I have the 3.0 rears working butter smooth with crazy bottom out resistance!

Attachments

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,024
I’m thinking I will be behind Slash X cafe, Barstow next Saturday October 12, driving fine tuning cars. Mostly X3! A few Polaris cars also.
I will bolting on my new Kings on X3 cars! 2 seaters. 4 seaters, race and recreational cars with Fox set ups also.
Best Stock setups as well as full revalved and new spring suspension tuned cars.

For all the owners/drivers on the fence about suspension set up?
What’s better!?? Listening to all the forum talk talk??? Or actually getting out and comparing in the dirt and sand for reals!?
Bring your cars out, stock or worked on from other tuners and compare. It’s the only true way to know whats available and what the real limits of the car can be!

Driving a car through its paces in the dirt and or sand is where the real truths show their face.

Any and everyone is welcome!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Curious what difference between your reworked stock fox shocks and the king shocks in your pics are. Do you have a trade up program on the kings from the stock fox shocks? Also wish I could make it to Barstow but 16 hour drive and no weekend for me kills that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,027
sorry, no trade in programs. If someone wants to sell off the Foxes for another brand shock set up? Then I can help try and sell them off for the owner? Or they can sell them. Its actually quite popular these days that owners are building their 64 inch DS cars to RS 72inch cars and need the 72 inch car Foxes. So the sales Are happening often.
3 of my king sets are going on brand new 2020 cars next week! we sold off the brand new Foxes very easily and quickly.

I will probably make some trips up your way next summer and have some suspension tuning and sharing events.

In the end result, the handing characteristics I aim for is the same, and the goal is to work the shocks to perform in the manor I’m aiming at, regardless of the shock brand or type. But each shock set will have a little bit of there own personality traits.
But I still control how the shock works by what gets done internally and externally to make it work the way I want it to for the customer.

Since the stock X3 shocks are Foxes, these shocks have got a ton of R&D and riding hours as these are the majority of X3 jobs I do.
My Foxes are easiest to quickly adjust from full Duner set
up with paddle tires, to full Dez set up with dirt tires.

yup! I have my valved and sprung x3 2 or 4 seat shocks working almost as good as they can in BOTH environments.
5 to 10 minutes of compression, rebound and rear crossovers adjustments to the suspension and the car is good to rip.
I can shoot you some names and numbers of customers if you like to converse in “private“ share with you their experience with the Foxes or Kings or Walker Evans shock set ups.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi Ed, will you have any shock setups with you for sale at Slash X on the 12th .
Thanks Bill

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,029
Hi Ed, will you have any shock setups with you for sale at Slash X on the 12th .
Thanks Bill
sorry, no shocks for sale. Every set up is a custom set up. Valving is a little different, spring rates can be different, 2 or 4 seater different. Weights of passengers different, type and weights and placement of cargo different.
To many variables to set up shocks ahead of time.

There will be both 2 and 4 seat X3RS cars with my Fox set ups at slashX on Saturday.
I will also be installing 2 sets of Kings on 4 seat max cars!
good time to come out and compare and ride in or drive some of these cars in the roughest Dez around. Why wonder what the difference is from stock suspension to “Tuned” suspension? Get out here and ride in, or drive to compare, seat of the pants comparisons. If your local?

Come and enjoy a day of riding with food and drink that’s a short walk away at slashX cafe!!

moto

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im setting up my suspension on my 2019 XRS Max, and was wondering if there are settings that people have had success with and recommend over the Fox recommended tune? I will be running mostly in Glamis, and completely stock except for the 32” Sandcraft Destroyers. It may have been mentioned, but I have looked through a few hundred posts, and can’t find it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
sorry, no trade in programs. If someone wants to sell off the Foxes for another brand shock set up? Then I can help try and sell them off for the owner? Or they can sell them. Its actually quite popular these days that owners are building their 64 inch DS cars to RS 72inch cars and need the 72 inch car Foxes. So the sales Are happening often.
3 of my king sets are going on brand new 2020 cars next week! we sold off the brand new Foxes very easily and quickly.

I will probably make some trips up your way next summer and have some suspension tuning and sharing events.

In the end result, the handing characteristics I aim for is the same, and the goal is to work the shocks to perform in the manor I’m aiming at, regardless of the shock brand or type. But each shock set will have a little bit of there own personality traits.
But I still control how the shock works by what gets done internally and externally to make it work the way I want it to for the customer.

Since the stock X3 shocks are Foxes, these shocks have got a ton of R&D and riding hours as these are the majority of X3 jobs I do.
My Foxes are easiest to quickly adjust from full Duner set
up with paddle tires, to full Dez set up with dirt tires.

yup! I have my valved and sprung x3 2 or 4 seat shocks working almost as good as they can in BOTH environments.
5 to 10 minutes of compression, rebound and rear crossovers adjustments to the suspension and the car is good to rip.
I can shoot you some names and numbers of customers if you like to converse in “private“ share with you their experience with the Foxes or Kings or Walker Evans shock set ups.
Thank you for the offer on the phone numbers. I’m okay with your explanation and would really like to know when your coming up next summer, if you come up next summer. Any heads up would be awesome this is something I really want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,034
The Spring “kit” options seem to be coming up more and more these days.
I get it, that ownes want that quick option to purchase these goodies so they can just bolt on, and hopefully get an instant suspension performance gain.

First of all about Sag.
The stock springs get WAY to much credit for being behind any negative handings of the car.
As the car sags lower with more drive time and mileage, everyone fully blames those poor coiled metal demons of continued car sag.

In reality, the springs are only one member of TEAM car sag.
Other Team members that contribute are the 4 shocks and components, and all the bushings and bearings of the suspension parts and equipment. When all these parts are new, they have tight tolerances and don’t always allow the car to settle completely. As all these wear and loosen up, the car will “relax” down more easily. And this load ends up on the springs. So more “preload” adjustmentS are needed.
As a driver gets used to his or her new ride, they drive a little faster and more often, “breaking in” the entire car. And yes, the springs also contribute to the overall sag.
So it’s more of a team effect as far as sag is concerned in the end.

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,035
More on spring purchases

Most of the spring kits available are not changing the stock springs RATES very much. And these new spring rate recipes are trying to be a bandage for the “stock” valving. The result, is a “slight” favorable gain in handling characteristic in some areas, and hopefully a gain in spring quality as compared to the stock springs.

But changing springs does not change the internal characteristics of the shock itself. Owners and drivers that claim changing only the springs was a “night and day” difference have NEVER driven in a car that is set up to get the most out of that car that has had “good” internal performance shock modifications.

These shock mods, coupled with the correct spring rates that match the owner drivers personal needs can be an improvement not even imagined by most.
Again!! One size does not fit all.

What it comes down to in this huge internet world of so many peoples keyboard opinions, Experience still rules the roost! “Some” People still don’t know what they don’t know! Driving “one” car with suspension mods is only a comparison with the same car set up to stock.
There is no comparison with out an “objective” driving experience used in comparison testing with “many” or “any” different cars with different recipes.
Final “subjective” personal touch set up is usually a very small percentage, or tweek of the overall set up in the end for most recreational drivers.
So a “slight” favorable improvement with new springs may feel huge when compared to only the same previous “stock” car set up. And who knows how that car was set up in the first place???

I actually do shock work on X3RS cars and still run the stock springs!!! And this set up will leave any “spring only” modified car in the dust as far as smoothness and drivability in the roughest terrains. This comparison is NOT EVEN close!

It all depends on the suspension tuner used? Everyone has a different view and experience level in this handling category.

To some, aftermarket suspension is not that important. The feeling is the stock tweeked to taste set up works fine. And that’s all good too.
But for the rest! Do your homework to make the best choices for yourselves. It’s well worth it in the end.
Moto

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know there is some folks here that have x3 base models that haven't had much info for there base models but when Im done testing I will share what I have done and what my car is set up with accessories. I know its not your car style or may not even be your driving style but some info is better than none.
Ed, thanks again and I will be chatting soon.
So I am getting back to this information I said I was going to leave as far as the Can-am x3 base model shock set up.
I have to say my springs are shot.
Long story but after going off of Pound Sands info I had learned that my OEM primary and secondary springs are toast! so leaving information on set up that I did would not be fear to any base model owners.
I will say that getting the "preload nut" adjusted to get more height made a huge difference in making the car more plush even though you add more spring tension but it did make the shock work like it was designed with the longer stroke.
I will say to the "base model" owners though, If you follow any of the DS model setup, they are a 64" style suspension if that helps. Sorry for not being able to get you some ideas on how my car is set up but it would make you to ridged in my opinion because I am more of a desert, trail rider with bigger tires, roof rack, nurf bars (tree guards) and spare tire holder. I have a lot of weight on my car.
Pound Sand, again thank you for sharing so much information with this forum.

·
Vendor
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,037
I will be in Johnson Valley KOH Area Tuning and Testing cars this Thursday and Friday if anyone wants to come out and compare suspensions times ?! These tuning days are where people should, and do come and see what their car really is capable of in the rough, the sand, the rocks.
Real life comparisons say it all

1021 - 1037 of 1037 Posts