Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1037 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Oh, so I got to meet and hang with the DP4 crew as they are setting up a “night” race out of SlashX in the Barstow area Dez next Saturday! What a great group of people that love the Dez, with lots of experience riding and racing. Aimed at the beginner, novice racers with a fun family friendly atmosphere for all! Perfect for the recreational racer that would like to test there skills in a non pressure fun way. Everyone is out to help out eachother.

I will be supporting this race group with a couple certificates for free stock suspension tunes as contingency awards for local racers. Up to $275 value.
Very cool Ed, generous of you.
Suspension is next on my list, I'll let you know as soon as I get my head above the flood of debt I encountered the past month or so.
I'll shoot you a text.
Keep up the awesome work man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pound Sand,
Well I just made it through all of the 1005 posts...... I don't know if i need an aspirin for the brain strain or if I need a smoke because it was so good! lamo.

Ether way let me first start by saying thank you for all your insight, free help and advice that you have shared along the way with everyone.
I myself am running a 19 x3 64" base model with the QS3 shocks. I will be headed out to the garage to get the car measured out again to get a "base" set up. Then I will begin the testing and start the notes of everything I feel and how I want the car to be.

I am torn between taking off the front sway bar or running the W.E. or King sway links. I do a lot of trail riding in the mtns dealing with rocks and roots in the trails. I have a heavy right foot so I'm thinking that it would be a good fit for me. testing with and without the sway bar will tell me so.

I know there is some folks here that have x3 base models that haven't had much info for there models but when Im done testing I will share what I have done and what my car is set up with accessories. I know its not your car style or may not even be your driving style but some info is better than none.
Ed, thanks again and I will be chatting soon.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Pound Sand,
Well I just made it through all of the 1005 posts...... I don't know if i need an aspirin for the brain strain or if I need a smoke because it was so good! lamo.

Ether way let me first start by saying thank you for all your insight, free help and advice that you have shared along the way with everyone.
I myself am running a 19 x3 64" base model with the QS3 shocks. I will be headed out to the garage to get the car measured out again to get a "base" set up. Then I will begin the testing and start the notes of everything I feel and how I want the car to be.

I am torn between taking off the front sway bar or running the W.E. or King sway links. I do a lot of trail riding in the mtns dealing with rocks and roots in the trails. I have a heavy right foot so I'm thinking that it would be a good fit for me. testing with and without the sway bar will tell me so.

I know there is some folks here that have x3 base models that haven't had much info for there models but when Im done testing I will share what I have done and what my car is set up with accessories. I know its not your car style or may not even be your driving style but some info is better than none.
Ed, thanks again and I will be chatting soon.
Sending Ed a PM might get you a quicker response. His "regular job" is NOT a 9 to 5 gig, so it still might take him a day or so to respond to a PM, but my communications with him have been excellent.

Good job researching.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
62 Posts
Suspension Newb, I read some info here and decided to give the suspension a lift considering I had only 14.5in of ground clearance on my 32s. So i raised the coilovers on the front and back measuring to match both sides and then my inner adjustment 2in down from the coilover. I then set it down rocked it and all that and got a good 17in of clearance. My paddles I just installed are 30s, therefore going to be lower. But when I had adjusted the rear shock coilover (the ring) they were tight all the way against the smaller spring on top as if I couldnt raise the vehicle anymore if I wanted to. Now with only like 15in of ground clearance... Am I missing something or does it sound like springs are in order and Im kinda SOL for just adjusting the OE springs/Shocks. Hope that makes sense I dont have all the technical terms.

pics of ride height on paddles :(

Attachments

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Suspension Newb, I read some info here and decided to give the suspension a lift considering I had only 14.5in of ground clearance on my 32s. So i raised the coilovers on the front and back measuring to match both sides and then my inner adjustment 2in down from the coilover. I then set it down rocked it and all that and got a good 17in of clearance. My paddles I just installed are 30s, therefore going to be lower. But when I had adjusted the rear shock coilover (the ring) they were tight all the way against the smaller spring on top as if I couldnt raise the vehicle anymore if I wanted to. Now with only like 15in of ground clearance... Am I missing something or does it sound like springs are in order and Im kinda SOL for just adjusting the OE springs/Shocks. Hope that makes sense I dont have all the technical terms.

pics of ride height on paddles :(
I hope for the dunes you plan of taking that spare tire off. You don't need it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Couple more sets of “my” King Shock x3RS set up heading out this week!
As more X3 cars hit the dirt and sand, shock work on these cars has definitely been in the rise.

Full shock work and springs to the stock Foxes,
New Full race King set up! 2.5 and 3.0
New Walker Evans Velocities 2.5 and I have them in 3.0 rears now!

Fun stuff!
And they worked awesome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
DustinzXRS,

On your rear shocks, the very top coil spring is called a "tender spring" The front Suspension doesn't have the tender springs. Those tender springs only have one job to do and that is to keep all the coil springs taught on that shock during full extinction. To me the tender spring will always be compressed with the car on the ground.

As I read your post Im also looking at your pics. I am no expert by any means and i am just going off of what was posted here from other people and what Pound Sand has also said.
So with that, from the top of shock working down ward to the tire.
Shock cap- very top of shock, at the bottom of that cap is usually used as a reference to start measurements sometimes.
Coil adjusting nut (preload nut)- used to compress the spring coils, doing adjustments will raise or lower the car from the ground.
Tender spring (rear shocks)- used to keep the coils springs (primary and secondary coils) taught during full expansion on the shock.
Secondary coil spring (top coil on front shocks, middle coil on rear shocks)- used to get plush ride.
Crossover stoping nut- during big G outs this nut stops the secondary coil from compressing and it makes the primary coil to start working harder.
Dual rate slider- this is what separates the primary and secondary coils. this is also what makes contact with the crossover stoping nut.
Primary Coil Spring (bottom coil on front and rear shocks)- the heavy hit coil. Used to keep car from bottoming out.

Set your ride height with about 1" higher clearance on your front end compared to the rear end.
After you set your ride height you can now set your crossover (insert the individualizing here) to your ride style. Pound sand seems to be saying about 1 1/2" to 2" from the "duel rate slider"
Also remember that the more you use the "coil adjusting nut" downward away from the shock cap, the more ridged your ride gets in cognition with the "crossover nut"
The higher you are off the ground with the crossover close to the Duel rate slider you lose a lot of your plush Suspension.
The more you back off the coil adjusting nut you get closer to the ground for a plusher ride in cognition with the crossover also being towards the shock cap.
I hope this didn't get you all jacked up but after reading this post all the way through I am guessing I have some idea.
Also, keep in mind that everyones ride styles are different and everyones cars are different. That is why this post is so long. everyone is trying to figure out what Pound Sand is talking about for the masses. And Pound Sand is talking individual styles.

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009
That nose dive issue is frustrating. Love my X3 but since I spent lots of time in the air, my car is in a big risk always.

Saw on Reflex Instagram that they just released something to solve the nose dive issue -> https://www.reflexbe.com/products/viking-shock-tower-detail.html
The nose dive is a simple issue !
The car is “under sprung”. This means not enough front spring rate to hold up the car. When you get on the brakes, the springs let the nose dive as the weak springs crush down.
This is part of the reason the front end has a stock sway bar because the spring rates are weak, not enough to hold the car up during hard breaking and turning.

And most all the aftermarket spring kits “still” run the soft front springs in an effort to keep from making the ride harsher.

Most people do not know! Because you don’t know what you don’t know.

Once the car shocks are valved to run the firmer front springs, disconnect the front sway bar, then the owner-driver gets to realize how different and controlled the car become. The front now stays much more steady in all aspects of driving. The front will be fully independent and articulate freely without the handcuffs of the front Swaybar.

I sell spring packages that are customized to give the correct “spring rates” that will more balance the car overall for the drivers usage levels. This is a good starting level. But the correct springs, Coupled With the appropriate shock modifications with give the owner driver another huge level of driving experience.

I send out my own packaged spring kits, or I can send the Eibach, boxed kits out all day with custom spring choices. I pull out and replace some of the springs with the my eibach springs rates needed to fit a car recipe.

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,011
Little trip to King Shocks picking up products and planning for the upcoming local Dez and dune season.

King is going to the next level with their UTV shock set ups,
This new King Shock technology will be Revealed at the coming super sand show and I will be drive testing and tweaking and fine tuning this system very very soon, and sharing real life results with the UTV masses.

Don’t forget to visit the King Shocks booth at the super sand show

“Suspension Guy” Tune days to come soon, as hopefully weather cools down a bit !

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ed I sent you a PM about getting some springs for my set up. Thanks for all the info here! It's a great resource to be able to come back to and read, my questions has usually been covered already. Haha

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,013 (Edited)
King shocks showed off their new on the fly shock adjustment system at the sand show. THis will allow the driver to change shock settings as may be desired for different terrain and or car load changes. This will let the driver have a choice of shock settings to choose from without getting out and twisting adjuster nobs.
You will have preset button settings that will be saved and also a dial adjuster to play with to find that sweet spot to fit the situation.
I will have this system soon to test and fine tune the best shock valving recipe that will give the driver the widest range possible for the most popular terrains and driving styles.

This will be available soon for the CanAm x3 models as well as the Polaris XP

Brett King and myself going over the system prop.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
King shocks showed off their new on the fly shock adjustment system at the sand show. THis will allow the driver to change shock settings as may be desired for different terrain and or car load changes. This will let the driver have a choice of shock settings to choose from without getting out and twisting adjuster nobs.
You will have preset button settings that will be saved and also a dial adjuster to play with to find that sweet spot to fit the situation.
I will have this system soon to test and fine tune the best shock valving recipe that will give the driver the widest range possible for the most popular terrains and driving styles.

This will be available soon for the CanAm x3 models as well as the Polaris XP

Brett King and myself going over the system prop.
Spent some time talking to Brett about the system. Nice set up. Sounded like it will not be available for a little bit longer.

I notice Walker Evans also has a 3 button set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1001 - 1020 of 1037 Posts