Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1037 Posts

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #981
Another 4 seater with “my” King set up in Havasu!
My King shock set up is Very popular these days. 2.5 fronts and 3.0 rears. I stock these already built shocks so the wait is not 4 to 6 weeks. They just need my final valving recipe and custom spring sizes and rates. Bolt on and go Moto!

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Howdy Pound Sand, Ed,

After reading the WHOLE thread, I have a much better understanding of how and why different setting make such a difference on how our suspension works.

That said 98% of this thread is directed to dune riders, I have a 2018 XRC turbo, 72 inch wide rig running the stock Liberty 30 inch tall tires. Where I live the NorWet, ( Washington State ) we have very little dune riding and its something I am not really interested in doing. In my home area I run forest service roads which range from decent to horrible and two track trails where its legal. In February and early March of this year I had my first experience in desert riding when I spent that time camped at and riding around the Quartzsite area of Arizona, while there I met and rode with many who are experienced in riding this type of terrain. I was the only XRC in the group all the other X3's were of a different model some 64 and some 72 inches wide, the stock shocks on my XRC looked different then what the stock shocks were on the other rigs, what the difference is darned if I know but they looked different.

When I first got my rig I set it up using the Fox video and measurements, this did help but the ride was still choppy, when I got into desert riding I noticed that the faster I rode the better the ride for the most part. I had 375 miles on my rig when I went to the desert, at about the 1,000 mile mark I noticed that my ride height had dropped significantly. So I jacked the rig up and set everything back to where my ride height was reestablished at 15 inches LOADED. Doing this required a LOT of spring compression. Which brings me to my question, sorry for the novel you have had to read to get to this point but I wanted to make plain what I have done so far. The question is, now with 1,500 miles on the rig I can see that I will again need to compress the springs more in order to regain ride height, how much can the stock springs be compressed before I'll run into coil bind OR compromise their integrity or my safety?

I know a full on shock setup needs to be done for maximum efficiency but simply put that is out of reach financially at this time. Thanks for any information you can share and THANKS for the effort you have put into this thread.

Dave

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #983
I’m in the Dez quite a bit. Sometimes it doesn’t get talked about as much as compared to the dune riders.
The Dez or dirt trails are dirtier, rougher and more harsh on the car and driver and passengers than the dunes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvb7B47g8p6/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jxdrass0un7b
But plenty of dirt, Dez, trails and rocks get put to the test.

Your compression settings should all be fill open. In this position is the softest the car can be.
You can only run the low speed a turn or two firmer at most, to get a somewhat softer ride.
The standard valving and other internal parts of the stock Fox shocks make the car a generally rougher ride over all.
These shocks have a TON of room for improvements.

Most drivers just don’t know how much better the car can be with properly set up suspension.
Driver often come out to my “TUNE DAYS” just to get a ride in or drive a car to actually fell the difference.

Yes, the stock springs will keep compressing and shortening. I don’t know how tall your running your car?? But you can go quite a ways befor coil binding

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #985 (Edited)
I was reading today on an X3 blog where owners were asking about Front end alignment. All sorts of numbers were being thrown out. Toe in, toe out, 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch this way or that way. More Bump steer this way, less bump steer that way?
The Book smart “numbers gurus” love to pin down concrete numbers on an adjustments such as this.

But in reality, the x3 or any other UTV is exactly that, a utility vehicle used for on and off road use on multiple types of terrain and surfaces. For the “most part”, It’s not your daily driver sedan used on regular streets for your commute to work and or the grocery store. (Lol, I know there are a few owners that run there UTV to work and shopping! I’m jealous). So yes, of course your basic commuter vehicle can have flat rate numbers to set alignment with is standard.

But No set of numbers is solely correct on this one! So, no set of numbers are wrong.

How the front is set up or aligned depends on, Suspension set up?, spring rates and shock tune, how and who set it up? Attitude of the car? Tire types and size?
And even how you have your car loaded? Equipment locations? Winch? Spare tire and it’s location? Grande ice chest? Tools? Munchies, Stripper pole?

Whatever the combination of the above will dictate different numbers for the front alignment.

It’s up to the driver to experiment both toe in and out to get the car to handle the way that gives the driver the most driving confidence in overall car handling and control.
As a note, a car combination change later, may demand an alignment change also to regain some Prefered handling characteristics that were lost or lessened.

The driver needs to figure out this one on their own for the best results. Don’t get cheated, or locked into just running a random number from the forums that probably works great for some cars? But not all cars.
A little fun R&D next time out can help get a drivers car set up best for that individuals needs and likes.

Good luck

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #986
Swaybar shock link comparison.

The new Kings swaybar shock links are made from a full 2.0 shock body and piston.
The Walkers Evans are a 1.7 shock body.

The Kings are a firmer set up and work best for heavier cars, and more aggressive drivers and racers. Work well for fast sand duning also!!

2 of these are great for slower ( or Fast ) car articulation on the rocks and trials while not being over soft during more aggressive fast open desert driving.

The Kings were designed to be run as a pair. They are much longer than the stock links

These will retail for $599. Per Pair (Changes on who you talk to). I can sell them for less than that.

retail for the Walkers is $360 per pair. Owners can get them for a lower price from myself and other vendors here on the Forums.

The Walker Evans link is great for the recreational driver up to the more aggressive or racer driver.
But In comparisons, the kings are bigger, firmer and stay more consistent on the high demand side.

The Walker Evans set up is great, and should meet the demand of most, (I sell the crap out of these),
while the Kings set up is still “King” in big boy land.

Moto

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Wait a minute Ed, you haven't told me about your stripper poll set up.
Ha, told you I'm paying attention to your words of wisdom.
Another item for the list ...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Wait a minute Ed, you haven't told me about your stripper poll set up.
Ha, told you I'm paying attention to your words of wisdom.
Another item for the list ...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ed’s suspension set ups don’t disappoint. Still amazes me every time I drive me X3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Dave, I have a nearly new set of blue springs.
You can have them for free, pickup up in Eugene, plus a $20 donation to the salvation Army.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can add me to the list of happy customers.. thanks Ed for squeezing me in.. The car handles amazing, I can finally keep the pedal down and drive over everything. I’m not getting beat up anymore. I’m finding out how fun it is to really slide around a corner with confidence. Very very happy thanks again Ed...

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
For anyone local that’s interested!

I will be in Johnson Valley area, off of Boone Road, KOH area, Means dry lake.
Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon suspension tuning and testing.
May 17,18,19, 2019
Will have PLENTY of x3 cars available for anyone to come out and find out for reals what it’s all about! Actually riding in or driving these cars will help the owner to have the real experience needed to compare what’s available in the suspension market to make a better decision on what works best for the individual driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alot of great info from all here, my question is it worth it to replace the springs only?

·
Vendor
357 Posts
X3 Suspension Set Up, "The Suspension Guy"

I had the same question for a long time! I hated the ride height, the rear bucking and some ride quality aspects and didn’t like adding a bunch of preload to compensate. I finally tried a set of Eibach stage 2 performance springs and it was the BEST thing I have done, other than adding HP because I have a heavily foot .

With the Eibach spring kits I barely have to put on preload to get a 17” ride height. It comes with new setting for your Fox Shocks to match your rebound, high speed compression and low speed compression to the new spring rates. All WITHOUT having to spend more money on internal shock work.

The springs aren’t hard to change with a little bit of time and again the BEST thing I have done to improve the ride quality!!

I would also recommend the Eibach adjustable rear sway bar...also a total game changer!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trying to cure small washboard harshness at speeds 45-50mph.

What would you suggest to someone who’s doing their own revalve?
Any advice for shim stacks and spring combo recipe?
Car is on 32s with a spare, winch, 40lbs misc cargo.

It’s too expensive to ship shocks to another country.

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #995 (Edited)
I had the same question for a long time! I hated the ride height, the rear bucking and some ride quality aspects and didn’t like adding a bunch of preload to compensate. I finally tried a set of Eibach stage 2 performance springs and it was the BEST thing I have done, other than adding HP because I have a heavily foot .

With the Eibach spring kits I barely have to put on preload to get a 17” ride height. It comes with new setting for your Fox Shocks to match your rebound, high speed compression and low speed compression to the new spring rates. All WITHOUT having to spend more money on internal shock work.

The springs aren’t hard to change with a little bit of time and again the BEST thing I have done to improve the ride quality!!

I would also recommend the Eibach adjustable rear sway bar...also a total game changer!!

This isn’t a cram, just fact!
just so all can understand! If the feeling above is that just changing the springs made a huge difference ??

Then drivers have NO IDEA what the car is capable of !! The spring kits are a smaller degree upgrade, but cost more than half the total cost of the springs and revalve job. Setting up springs AND internal work (from the right tuner) makes a difference most owners cannot realize unless it is experienced. The internal shock work means EVERYTHING to the suspension.

Thats why it’s so important to drive in many cars and compare suspension tunes! Everyone has a different recipe of spring lengths and rates, and any level of minimal to maximum internal changes, and then leaving an owner with Minimal or maximal adjustments for fine tuning!

Most of My customers are the ones that have done the driving and riding homework and compared car suspension tunes. Then they are able to make choices from this “real time” experience!
I LOVE these customers!! They call and fully already know what they want !

·
Registered
66 Posts
This isn’t a cram, just fact!
just so all can understand! If the feeling above is that just changing the springs made a huge difference ??

Then drivers have NO IDEA what the car is capable of !! The spring kits are a smaller degree upgrade, but cost more than half the total cost of the springs and revalve job. Setting up springs AND internal work (from the right tuner) makes a difference most owners cannot realize unless it is experienced. The internal shock work means EVERYTHING to the suspension.

Thats why it’s so important to drive in many cars and compare suspension tunes! Everyone has a different recipe of spring lengths and rates, and any level of minimal to maximum internal changes, and then leaving an owner with Minimal or maximal adjustments for fine tuning!

Most of My customers are the ones that have done the driving and riding homework and compared car suspension tunes. Then they are able to make choices from this “real time” experience!
I LOVE these customers!! They call and fully already know what they want !
I have an idea of what these cars can do just from reading this forum. But I do not have the luxury of driving and comparing different setups. Should someone like me that may have to explain what he wants with no practical experience not send his shocks out? I do understand having customers that know what they want. It makes your job much easier and less stressful wondering if this is what they really wanted.

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #997 (Edited)
I have an idea of what these cars can do just from reading this forum. But I do not have the luxury of driving and comparing different setups. Should someone like me that may have to explain what he wants with no practical experience not send his shocks out? I do understand having customers that know what they want. It makes your job much easier and less stressful wondering if this is what they really wanted.

What I mean by a customer knowing what they want is, They have made a choice from their comparisons.

Lets Say you go to a chili cook off? You go around “sampling” all the chili dishes. By doing this, you are comparing the chili recipes to make a “choice” of your favorite.
If only one chili is sampled, then one cannot compare that one choice sampled with any of the other choices that were not sampled.
It would be a matter of pure luck that the “one” choice was best or worst choice for the sampler.

By sampling and comparing as many as possible, the sampler betters their chance of making a choice that best fits their own taste from what is available.

I understand that not everyone may have the opportunity to drive compare different suspension tunes. It does make the choice more difficult by not being able to sample the choices.

But think about it this way, if you can’t make that chili cook off? And you would like to make a choice from the participants?
Then your choice is to talk to people that were able to sample the most recipes! Find the people that you feel “mostly” fit “your” tastes! Talk to them in person, not in the open forums!

Some owners will play the loyalty card. It’s all fine and good, but if that is the only sample they know? Then it really cannot be a comparison gauge on the other samples available.

There are a handful of suspension tuners available that can be quite different. But being able to make a choice that closer fits your taste will Get you the most from your money’s spent.

For the x3 72in cars,
I offer a full revalve! With only adding 2 new eibach springs. The other 6 can be added later by the owner if and when desired. This “blows away” any spring kit only upgrade. And this deal is about the same price as the full eibach spring kit.

Will the stock springs begin to sag? Of course they will over time. But by doing the revalve first, you get to enjoy the benefits of the revalve sooner than later. And then the correct rated springs can be added later by the owner at their leisure, and a few small new adjustments to fit the newly added springs, and it’s all good to go.

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #998
Couple more sets of “my” King Shock x3RS set up heading out this week!
As more X3 cars hit the dirt and sand, shock work on these cars has definitely been in the rise.

Full shock work and springs to the stock Foxes,
New Full race King set up! 2.5 and 3.0
New Walker Evans Velocities 2.5 and I have them in 3.0 rears now!

Fun stuff!

Attachments

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #999
Did some Dez testing and tuning yesterday and night time with the new Walker evans Velocity 3.0 rears for the x3 in Barstow from SlashX area.
Well, after tearing them down and adding my tricks, they are working even better than I anticipated for the x3 in the rough dez! And with my velocity 2.5 fronts make the x3 So so much fun!

Attachments

·
Vendor
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,000
Oh, so I got to meet and hang with the DP4 crew as they are setting up a “night” race out of SlashX in the Barstow area Dez next Saturday! What a great group of people that love the Dez, with lots of experience riding and racing. Aimed at the beginner, novice racers with a fun family friendly atmosphere for all! Perfect for the recreational racer that would like to test there skills in a non pressure fun way. Everyone is out to help out eachother.

I will be supporting this race group with a couple certificates for free stock suspension tunes as contingency awards for local racers. Up to $275 value.

981 - 1000 of 1037 Posts