Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 X3 xds turbo rr. 1200 miles. The suspension rattles a lot. It disappears as speed picks up. I believe it’s the front and rear sway bars. Should it be fixed? Seems like something is taking a beating. Thanks in advance for any help in this. Pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grease them with water resistant grease every trip out. It seems to go as you. Read some other reviews when I searched rattles seems BRP included it at no extra cost. Thanks paddy

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Everything tight? Firt try disconnecting the front sway bar, and see if the rattle is still there or not. Sway bars make more of a clunk than rattle.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Pull the bolts of the upper Arms cleand all the shattered powder paint from the seated surface shoulder end and nut end little nlue locktight you should be good

·
Registered
245 Posts
Often the sway bar links up front will loosen up at the CA causing a rattle. Get to this one quick, or it will enlarge the CA hole. This happened to mine, I caught it before the hole enlarged.

My OEM sway bar links themselves were the worst source of rattle for me,,,,, replaced those and all is quiet. I could make them rattle by grabbing the sway bar and pulling/pushing up/down quickly. They were wearing and rattled in about 300 miles.

Jack up the car,,, take some weight off the front may help with this test.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your input gentlemen. You’re right Hollywood it’s a bonafide Clunk. Rattle would be more loose metal per se. I shook the buggy using the roll cage and could hear a minor version of the clunk. There is side to side movement for sure, and I believe there needs to be. So X3 Poor. Did you replace with an aftermarket sway bars? To eliminate the clunk or stay with can am rigging? Is it necessary to replace the bearings that hold the sway bar in place is that the root cause of the problem? Going to try what AZ recommend. I’ll get the wheels of the ground here shortly. Thank you all

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at sway bar aftermarket equipment for the buggy. Some of the rod end bearings or heim fittings have no protection from water and grit. There are no bubbler boots. I used similar end fittings on my previous Max XRS for tie rod ends. Had to make homemade boots out of bicycle tire tube and tie wraps to keep the water out and grease in. They didn’t last anytime. The stock units are sealed.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I went crazy for two weeks trying to figure it out

To me it sounded as in the drive axles were banging in and out of the diff

Or a sharp rap on the frame at low speed turns and small ripples

Haven’t had an issue since, I haven’t bought the links or sway bar’s yet

When I do the suspension upgrades shock work springs and likely bars out here its high speed turns stiffer ones are warranted

Good luck keep us posted

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you replace with an aftermarket sway bars
The "clunk" is most likely your sway bar sliding side to side within the bushings. I had this as well. Resolved by searching this forum. Ended up installing collars on the sway bars to eliminate the side to side movement. Worked great. You'll find plenty - o - threads on this here on the forum. One of them has PN's etc for the collars.

The rattle I'm speaking of was simply "looseness" that occurred quickly as the joints of the sway bar links wore. I simply replaced the links themselves with quality links. My sway bars, bushings etc. are all still OEM,,, just the links themselves were replaced.

Heim joints are a little bit of a PITA, but a necessary evil sometimes. Boots on joints such as these don't really matter if the crap internals fail on ya. I maintain and clean my car like a crazy person, so I generally don't have issues. Maintaining the joints on my Can Am is breeze compared to dealing with the Heims in the 4 link rear end the daily driver Tundra I used to have. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "clunk" is most likely your sway bar sliding side to side within the bushings. I had this as well. Resolved by searching this forum. Ended up installing collars on the sway bars to eliminate the side to side movement. Worked great. You'll find plenty - o - threads on this here on the forum. One of them has PN's etc for the collars.

The rattle I'm speaking of was simply "looseness" that occurred quickly as the joints of the sway bar links wore. I simply replaced the links themselves with quality links. My sway bars, bushings etc. are all still OEM,,, just the links themselves were replaced.

Heim joints are a little bit of a PITA, but a necessary evil sometimes. Boots on joints such as these don't really matter if the crap internals fail on ya. I maintain and clean my car like a crazy person, so I generally don't have issues. Maintaining the joints on my Can Am is breeze compared to dealing with the Heims in the 4 link rear end the daily driver Tundra I used to have. :rolleyes:
These collars you speak off Po are they a split collar? Every time I take the buggy out I’m in water holes / mud holes up to and above the skid plate at times. That’s why I was concerned with heim type fittings that have no protection. So side to side clunk front and back so you collared both of them? Thanks in advance pat

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes they are split collars. I purchased the collars for front/rear, but I only did the rear,,, my front doesn't move much.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Might try if your go that route I used rubber ones cut down to work

Thought there are tricker ones

1 - 13 of 13 Posts