Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVERY X3 owner beware!!!! This most likely will happen to you.

BRP designed a single shear front shock tower for some unknown reason. It has failure written all over it if you just look at what weight it is supporting and the force of the shocks are exerting during the suspension cycling. Our shocks extend and compress with some serious force and all that is transferred to the shock tower. Without a tab to the frame on the forward side of the shocks thee is immense stress on the weld at the bottom of the sleeve through the frame. Eventually you will see a small crack develop and after some time a catastrophic failure will happen. When this happens your frame will be trash and in need of some serious work to fix or a new frame and gusseting to prevent it in the future.

Using an aftermarket shock tower brace is definitely a step in the right direction but welding that brace in and supporting that brace is the right way to do it. You can find different manufacturers of this tower brace through Kyle at Black Market UTV - Side by Side Parts & Accessories. Don't mention MEGA when ordering or risk being charged more. LOL. Its sad what we pay for these cars and BRP insists on making them out of Canadian muffler tubing. And if you think BRPCARES.com, well they don't. Been 20 days since I contacted them about this and over 4 months since I gave them a letter of all of the complaints to a regional rep. All they care about is selling units. Thank goodness for aftermarket companies and their products that keep out cars out of the scrap muffler pipe pile.

Here are some pics of my disaster, a friends crack developing, and my fix.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
I would love to show you but TMW still has not shipped mine.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have a brand new machine with 3 miles on it. I guess I’m going to have to figure out my own fix for this. I am a retired submarine welder but I do not want to take this whole machine apart. fu+k.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
EVERY X3 owner beware!!!! This most likely will happen to you.

BRP designed a single shear front shock tower for some unknown reason. It has failure written all over it if you just look at what weight it is supporting and the force of the shocks are exerting during the suspension cycling. Our shocks extend and compress with some serious force and all that is transferred to the shock tower. Without a tab to the frame on the forward side of the shocks thee is immense stress on the weld at the bottom of the sleeve through the frame. Eventually you will see a small crack develop and after some time a catastrophic failure will happen. When this happens your frame will be trash and in need of some serious work to fix or a new frame and gusseting to prevent it in the future.

Using an aftermarket shock tower brace is definitely a step in the right direction but welding that brace in and supporting that brace is the right way to do it. You can find different manufacturers of this tower brace through Kyle at Black Market UTV - Side by Side Parts & Accessories. Don't mention MEGA when ordering or risk being charged more. LOL. Its sad what we pay for these cars and BRP insists on making them out of Canadian muffler tubing. And if you think BRPCARES.com, well they don't. Been 20 days since I contacted them about this and over 4 months since I gave them a letter of all of the complaints to a regional rep. All they care about is selling units. Thank goodness for aftermarket companies and their products that keep out cars out of the scrap muffler pipe pile.

View attachment 250726

Here are some pics of my disaster, a friends crack developing, and my fix.

View attachment 250727

View attachment 250728

View attachment 250729

View attachment 250730
View attachment 250731

View attachment 250732
Thanks for the information Mega. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a brand new machine with 3 miles on it. I guess I’m going to have to figure out my own fix for this. I am a retired submarine welder but I do not want to take this whole machine apart. fu+k.
You lazy seamen, get to wrenching!!! Lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think you need too install the bracing and gussets before shit brakes, at least that seems to have worked for me !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts