Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Secondary clutch spins at an idle and whines a little. Also a little hard to shift.

This started after i blew my last belt. I have had my clutch apart inspecting, cleaning and reinstalling. I took it to the dealer. And they did the same thing along with aligning the clutches. With the same results.

My thoughts are:

-Fiber washers on either side of the 2way bearing on driven clutch are smashed too much which is putting presssure on belt and spinning the secondary.

-2way bearing bad. I cleaned and lightly greased the needles found it to be smooth.

-the 2018 belts are a hair wider than the 2017. But i have tried a brand new 2017 belt with same issues.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had to have my one/two way bearing replaced on the primary. That fixed mine. I'm guessing cleaning and re-grease would fix it as well.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Secondary clutch spins at an idle and whines a little. Also a little hard to shift.

This started after i blew my last belt. I have had my clutch apart inspecting, cleaning and reinstalling. I took it to the dealer. And they did the same thing along with aligning the clutches. With the same results.

My thoughts are:

-Fiber washers on either side of the 2way bearing on driven clutch are smashed too much which is putting presssure on belt and spinning the secondary.

-2way bearing bad. I cleaned and lightly greased the needles found it to be smooth.

-the 2018 belts are a hair wider than the 2017. But i have tried a brand new 2017 belt with same issues.
Looking at your problem and questions showed me how little I know about the drive train on this machines.
How Is high, low, neutral and revers handled? is it a Sun/Planetary gear assembly with wet clutches? Is it on the input side of the primary, or on the output site of the secondary?
Are the 'one way / two way' bearings simply used as clutched? (one way: locking one way and freewheel the other / two way: locking driving or driven with a neutral center)
Answers would help me understanding your problem.

Thanks
Arno

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at your problem and questions showed me how little I know about the drive train on this machines.
How Is high, low, neutral and revers handled? is it a Sun/Planetary gear assembly with wet clutches? Is it on the input side of the primary, or on the output site of the secondary?
Are the 'one way / two way' bearings simply used as clutched? (one way: locking one way and freewheel the other / two way: locking driving or driven with a neutral center)

Thanks
Arno
Dont know the answers.

The two way bearing is between the two sheaves of the primary clutch, external fo the engine. Older models have a 1 way bearing in this place which makes engine braking work.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
How Is high, low, neutral and revers handled?
The CVT (clutches and belt) are the "transmission" and the PRNHL are in the "gearbox". The rear axles come out of the gearbox.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
The CVT (clutches and belt) are the "transmission" and the PRNHL are in the "gearbox". The rear axles come out of the gearbox.
I don't know if you are trying to help or trying to make fun of me...anyway you failed either one.
I'm familiar wit the function of a CVT for almost 60 years and what everyone is calling clutches are not clutches but variable diameter pulleys.
On the particular CVT used here power transmission is started by the initial clamping of the primary drive pulley; automotive CVTs have the belt engages at all times and lately use push instead of pull belts.
My question was on how high, low, neutral and revers was handled, and on which end of the CVT it is located?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
My clutch was doing the same thing and they ended up replacing the entire primary with all of 86 miles on it. The clutch sheaves had groves and they told me they were bad. They also said the bearing was bad in the primary. After they replaced the entire primary the whining noise went away, the belt was not spinning while in park and it was much easier to shift between gears.

Reactions: WarHammer

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know if you are trying to help or trying to make fun of me...anyway you failed either one.
I'm familiar wit the function of a CVT for almost 60 years and what everyone is calling clutches are not clutches but variable diameter pulleys.
On the particular CVT used here power transmission is started by the initial clamping of the primary drive pulley; automotive CVTs have the belt engages at all times and lately use push instead of pull belts.
My question was on how high, low, neutral and revers was handled, and on which end of the CVT it is located?

Thanks.
LOL ! I thought his explanation was pretty good. :) By the way, I think everyone here is "trying to help"

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
LOL ! I thought his explanation was pretty good. :) By the way, I think everyone here is "trying to help"
No, his explanation showed that he did not bother completely reading my question, or was not able to comprehend it; but needed to make a smart aleck comment.
We have a member that has a problem, he deserves an effort by us to try and help, for me to do so I need some information to which I have no access at this time because of my present location.
So, actual help with my original question would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
No, his explanation showed that he did not bother completely reading my question, or was not able to comprehend it; but needed to make a smart aleck comment.
I agree with Mr Ted also as I felt Scott F did a great job explaining with no ill intents....maybe your question was a bit vague after mentioning you knew very little on the CVT / transmission workings. He genuinely tried helping, IMO.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Thanks
Arno
I don’t know the answer to your questions but maybe you can find the answers in these photos . Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I don’t know the answer to your questions but maybe you can find the answers in these photos . Hope this helps

Very nice!

Reactions: onkyo and MCI

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I agree with Mr Ted also as I felt Scott F did a great job explaining with no ill intents....maybe your question was a bit vague after mentioning you knew very little on the CVT / transmission workings. He genuinely tried helping, IMO.
Well, it looks like not even Admin bothers to fully read, or comprehend my question. I never stated that I had a problem with the function of a CVT, but inquired about the drive train function ahead and aft of it.
But thanks for trying to calm things down.

By the by, typing on this forum can be very challenging, at times letters don't show up and hitting the space bar makes the page jump but will not advance the cursor...?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

Thank you very much!
Not just for the breakdowns, but for restoring some of my hope for the future of mankind.

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
We have a member that has a problem, he deserves an effort by us to try and help, for me to do so I need some information to which I have no access at this time because of my present location.
So, actual help with my original question would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
bla bla bla
pull up the parts diagram

edit, someone beat me to it

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well I am certainly no expert but if the idle speed is to high the primary clutch (sheave) will start to close and spin the belt,or if the bearing is dragging or froze up it would spin the belt or if the primary is closing at to low of a rpm or not opening fully that would spin the belt. I have experienced a difficulty shifting on a few occasions and switched to econo mode and noticed a slight drop in rpm and then was able to make that shift more easily. If you go onto the KWI sight and go to the blog at the top of the page there is a video that shows a complete r & r of both primary and secondary or you can also go to a video by another vendor and see the same thing using some different tools. Even if you don't want to do it yourself it will give you a better understanding of what there and how it works. From my experience the only tool you really need to purchase is the bolt (I think it is a PCP16 you can find it on amazon for about $35.00) to remove the primary, everything is pretty easy to fabricate if you are a DITY guy.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I am certainly no expert but if the idle speed is to high the primary clutch (sheave) will start to close and spin the belt,or if the bearing is dragging or froze up it would spin the belt or if the primary is closing at to low of a rpm or not opening fully that would spin the belt. I have experienced a difficulty shifting on a few occasions and switched to econo mode and noticed a slight drop in rpm and then was able to make that shift more easily. If you go onto the KWI sight and go to the blog at the top of the page there is a video that shows a complete r & r of both primary and secondary or you can also go to a video by another vendor and see the same thing using some different tools. Even if you don't want to do it yourself it will give you a better understanding of what there and how it works. From my experience the only tool you really need to purchase is the bolt (I think it is a PCP16 you can find it on amazon for about $35.00) to remove the primary, everything is pretty easy to fabricate if you are a DITY guy.
Thanks, I’ll pull it apart again and also try Eco mode

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
anybody have a primary you could borrow for one lap to test if its the bearing and stops the secondary from moving when stopped?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts