Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Tom and Gary are great guys and will spin your head if you ask too many questions about shocks/valving, haha. Tustin to Tustin? Nice.

Congrats. You will be amazed at the night and day ride quality difference from the stock raised ride height and adjusted valving to their setup. Enjoy.
How cool is it to know you just had a legend of the Offroading world do your Shocks and there is nothing better than there stuff period. They forgot more about shock tuning than most shock guys would ever hope to even know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
637 Posts
How cool is it to know you just had a legend of the Offroading world do your Shocks and there is nothing better than there stuff period. They forgot more about shock tuning than most shock guys would ever hope to even know.

That and the fact that Gary spent so much personal A$$ time tuning his own RS. And when your tuner's A$$time makes the adjustments/mods versus another's backside input?

That and the fact "They" are not in it for a mass production run; only fun money.

That and the fact they tuned KOH X3s for big names blah blah blah.....

Well, just saying I'm very happy my shocks. :big smile:

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
That and the fact that Gary spent so much personal A$$ time tuning his own RS. And when your tuner's A$$time makes the adjustments/mods versus another's backside input?

That and the fact "They" are not in it for a mass production run; only fun money.

That and the fact they tuned KOH X3s for big names blah blah blah.....

Well, just saying I'm very happy my shocks. :big smile:
The fact that Gary owns an X3 and wants the best ride he can get out of it cause it's his car should tell anybody with half a brain that that's gonna be the best you will ever get period.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can we confirm that 18's suspension in the xrs is the same as the 17....I want to adjust mine to the specs that were gone over for the 17 but don't know if they changed anything.
The part numbers on the springs are the same on both the 17 & 18 XRSs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
The part numbers on the springs are the same on both the 17 & 18 XRSs.

Gary tells me that you can run the stock springs no problem so if you don't want to buy the new springs then don't. Just run stock.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Gary did mine too. I couldn't be happier. He lives a mile down the road from me, so he spent some exta time setting them up on the car. Great guy who really knows shocks.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just talked to Gary yesterday and looking to get mine there in a couple weeks (Warlock I PMd you). I'll make a special trip to avoid shipping if I have to. Gary told me he and Tom have made even more changes so the tune is continuing to improve to this day.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Gary tells me that you can run the stock springs no problem so if you don't want to buy the new springs then don't. Just run stock.

Here's a little tid bit about the stock XRS shocks I'd like to pass along. We had 4 of these up to the Jamboree in Springerville, AZ. I have my car's ride height set at 15.5 inches loaded, which is where Fox recommends the car sit for best use of the factory shocks. Empty, my car sits at approximately 16.5 inches ride height. My brother's XRSs springs are set exactly to the settings Fox recommends for ride height. When measured, his car sits at 14.5 ride height empty (mine did the same initially), which is an inch lower than Fox says their settings will put the car. This is perhaps caused by the spring sag the XRS is known to get. The two other XRSs were at the factory ride height.

What we discovered is my car rode much smoother through the rocks and chop than the other 3 XRSs did. I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking it was as smooth as butter, but by setting the car to a loaded ride height of 15.5 inches, the ride quality is much improved. Just my .02 cents.

Ken

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Just talked to Gary yesterday and looking to get mine there in a couple weeks (Warlock I PMd you). I'll make a special trip to avoid shipping if I have to. Gary told me he and Tom have made even more changes so the tune is continuing to improve to this day.
Ok I haven't seen a pm though

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My brother's XRSs springs are set exactly to the settings Fox recommends for ride height. When measured, his car sits at 14.5 ride height empty (mine did the same initially), which is an inch lower than Fox says their settings will put the car.
I just experienced the same thing. After meticulously setting the preload to the FOX settings, I ended up at 15" front and 14.375" rear.
It looks like I need to crank it up some more. Eibach springs will go on the car when the shocks get reworked.

Today was my first ride, and I broke it in at the same place you did Ken.

Reactions: kbruce130

·
Registered
160 Posts
After almost 700 miles on the stock setup on my '18 X RS I am looking at options and these are the best reviews I have read. Rolling whoops at a moderate pace seem ok but square edges stuff is bone jarring. I just used the contact form on the site. Fingers crossed he can squeeze me in.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just experienced the same thing. After meticulously setting the preload to the FOX settings, I ended up at 15" front and 14.375" rear.
It looks like I need to crank it up some more. Eibach springs will go on the car when the shocks get reworked.

Today was my first ride, and I broke it in at the same place you did Ken.
Scott, I had to crank the crap out out those springs to get the recommended ride height. With 250 miles on the car it still continues to settle. So I'll probably have adjust the springs at least one more time.

How do you like the new ride?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I liked it, and I liked it even more after my wife got out of the car!
Her speed limit is about 30mph, which is ideal for the break in period. :)

We are going to Chiva Fall tomorrow if you are interested.

·
Registered
204 Posts
After about 100 miles of hard riding at UTV Takeover my shocks settled 1.75 inches. By the end of the week the springs were settled and now 3 months later it's great. On my neighbors DS i use a ratchet strap to one side of the spring then under the trailing arm and back up the the other side of the spring. It made the adjustment real fast.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here's a little tid bit about the stock XRS shocks I'd like to pass along. We had 4 of these up to the Jamboree in Springerville, AZ. I have my car's ride height set at 15.5 inches loaded, which is where Fox recommends the car sit for best use of the factory shocks. Empty, my car sits at approximately 16.5 inches ride height. My brother's XRSs springs are set exactly to the settings Fox recommends for ride height. When measured, his car sits at 14.5 ride height empty (mine did the same initially), which is an inch lower than Fox says their settings will put the car. This is perhaps caused by the spring sag the XRS is known to get. The two other XRSs were at the factory ride height.

What we discovered is my car rode much smoother through the rocks and chop than the other 3 XRSs did. I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking it was as smooth as butter, but by setting the car to a loaded ride height of 15.5 inches, the ride quality is much improved. Just my .02 cents.

Ken

Good info, thanks. Out of curiosity...do you know what your preload measurement is? If measured like the manual says. I'm currently at 6.5" rear and 3.25" front. And have about 15.5" ground clearance front and rear, unloaded.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you want to get your springs to settle faster raise the cross over just remember you might bottom out every now and then. I did this to my neighbors DS and after about 100 miles his rig lost 2.5 inches of ride height. In a few hundred miles i will check everything again with their rig loaded.

SoCalMav how much weight have you added to your X3? Your preload numbers look just about what i have on mine... within 1/4 of a inch but i haven't added any weight to my rig yet. I like to keep is as light as possible. This winter i will be adding a winch and building a removable roof rack this winter so i can carry a chain saw to clear trails next spring.

For the X3 i have my preload set so i have 16 inches in the front with the cross over at about 1.5 inches and the rear at 15 inches and the cross over at 3.5 inches. That is with one person and loaded for the trails... the wife and daughter have a 13 XRS.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good info, thanks. Out of curiosity...do you know what your preload measurement is? If measured like the manual says. I'm currently at 6.5" rear and 3.25" front. And have about 15.5" ground clearance front and rear, unloaded.
From the first thread to the top of the lock ring mine is 6.5 rear and 3.5 front preload.

Ken

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you want to get your springs to settle faster raise the cross over just remember you might bottom out every now and then. I did this to my neighbors DS and after about 100 miles his rig lost 2.5 inches of ride height. In a few hundred miles i will check everything again with their rig loaded.

SoCalMav how much weight have you added to your X3? Your preload numbers look just about what i have on mine... within 1/4 of a inch but i haven't added any weight to my rig yet. I like to keep is as light as possible. This winter i will be adding a winch and building a removable roof rack this winter so i can carry a chain saw to clear trails next spring.

For the X3 i have my preload set so i have 16 inches in the front with the cross over at about 1.5 inches and the rear at 15 inches and the cross over at 3.5 inches. That is with one person and loaded for the trails... the wife and daughter have a 13 XRS.
Those number I mentioned are on unloaded vehicle but does include the storage box in back with tools/stuff. Otherwise add: driver (me) 225lbs, and another 125lbs for passenger.

321 - 340 of 371 Posts