Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

281 - 300 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just had my car tuned by Tom Morris and Gary Fries. This is by far the best thing you can do to improve the performance of the X3. Tommy and Gary have been friends since high school and have put in hundreds of hours getting the X3’s Fox suspension to where it should be. Can Am left a ton of performance out of these shocks by not taking proper advantage of the internal bypass design. It’s almost a joke to look at the internals and see what Can Am did with the bypass circuitry. There are only two small bypass holes in the middle of the shock travel, leaving nearly all the performance advantage of a position sensitive bypass shock unused. I’m sure the lawyers wanted the car stiff and unyielding so that anyone could drive it without rolling the car. So, as delivered from the factory, the suspension does not move well over rocks and square edges because nearly all the flow has to go through the piston. Stock the car drives through big bumps OK, but is very harsh, bottoms too easily and is somewhat unbalanced. For a tuner to properly unlock the performance available in the Fox shocks, it is necessary to drastically both modify and add bypass ports to the existing bypass tube. Then valve the piston to work with that new bypass arrangement. This requires machining the inner tube, adding or modifying leaf ports and tons of testing to make them work right. Tom has been responsible for the suspension of many top off-road teams for over 25 years. He now is responsible for tuning nearly all the off-road vehicles used by our military’s special forces groups. I kept bumping into him during testing sessions out in the desert when our company was developing infrared lighting systems for special forces vehicles and he was doing suspension. When Gary bought an X3 and Tom drove it for the first time he was horrified at how harsh the suspension was stock. The two of them went on a mission to fix it, even though Gary was retired from the shock business and Tom hand his hands full of military commitments.
I just put 500 miles on my car in Baja with the new suspension. We drove everything from tight, rocky technical trail, to hacked up and whooped out SCORE course. The car is a joy to drive now, just plush enough to suck up rocks and square edges without being too “floaty” and yet will charge through ugly poorly synched whoops while staying flat, balanced and comfortable. There is a really beat up section along the coast that I’ve always dreaded in a side by side. It was actually fun in the X3. I had to wait a fairly long time for everyone else to catch up. If I was going to race it, I might make it a little stiffer, or if I was just cruising jeep roads I might take out some high speed compression, but overall it was awesome right out of the box. And if I want to change it, I still have all the range of the clickers. Thanks for all the hard work guys, this thing rocks now.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Nice

So hard to choose
Between, gary, ed and shock therapy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

let me know what way you go. I have had shock therapy on my xpt and my 1000, but this guy is impressive!!! This is on my list as a must do

·
Registered
638 Posts
RIGHT!!??

I drove my buddy's stock car for literally 220 yards while he drove mine. We stopped because he was hitting his head on my new roll cage and I am SO GLAD we stopped. I thought I was going to break a rib driving his car through the sharp rock garden we were in. I was going 4mph to keep from passing out...He was doing about 45mph.

...................... and no longer need to wear a kidney belt.

·
Registered
637 Posts
^HAHA. So true.

I just raised the ride height on my friends RS last weekend and adjusted the shock valving as soft as they would go. Leaned up and down on the rear to have it move very little. I then walked over to my Gary/Tom tuned car and it squishes down nice and plush.
I beat the hell out of my stock valved car and myself in the desert (no dunes) with adjusted ride height and valve setting suggestions, (hat tip to Poundsand) but can attest to the remaining harsh slow speed ride that is unavoidable without getting inside the shocks. Fast big hits it works fairly well.
I actually had Tom do my shocks, as he is in So CA, but all my conversations where had with Gary. Both are very knowledgeable and personable guys. If anyone is on the fence give Gary a call; he will earn your business. The amount of time alone he has spent running his OWN personal car to perfect this tune is remarkable.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
I just had my car tuned by Tom Morris and Gary Fries. This is by far the best thing you can do to improve the performance of the X3. Tommy and Gary have been friends since high school and have put in hundreds of hours getting the X3’s Fox suspension to where it should be. Can Am left a ton of performance out of these shocks by not taking proper advantage of the internal bypass design. It’s almost a joke to look at the internals and see what Can Am did with the bypass circuitry. There are only two small bypass holes in the middle of the shock travel, leaving nearly all the performance advantage of a position sensitive bypass shock unused. I’m sure the lawyers wanted the car stiff and unyielding so that anyone could drive it without rolling the car. So, as delivered from the factory, the suspension does not move well over rocks and square edges because nearly all the flow has to go through the piston. Stock the car drives through big bumps OK, but is very harsh, bottoms too easily and is somewhat unbalanced. For a tuner to properly unlock the performance available in the Fox shocks, it is necessary to drastically both modify and add bypass ports to the existing bypass tube. Then valve the piston to work with that new bypass arrangement. This requires machining the inner tube, adding or modifying leaf ports and tons of testing to make them work right. Tom has been responsible for the suspension of many top off-road teams for over 25 years. He now is responsible for tuning nearly all the off-road vehicles used by our military’s special forces groups. I kept bumping into him during testing sessions out in the desert when our company was developing infrared lighting systems for special forces vehicles and he was doing suspension. When Gary bought an X3 and Tom drove it for the first time he was horrified at how harsh the suspension was stock. The two of them went on a mission to fix it, even though Gary was retired from the shock business and Tom hand his hands full of military commitments.
I just put 500 miles on my car in Baja with the new suspension. We drove everything from tight, rocky technical trail, to hacked up and whooped out SCORE course. The car is a joy to drive now, just plush enough to suck up rocks and square edges without being too “floaty” and yet will charge through ugly poorly synched whoops while staying flat, balanced and comfortable. There is a really beat up section along the coast that I’ve always dreaded in a side by side. It was actually fun in the X3. I had to wait a fairly long time for everyone else to catch up. If I was going to race it, I might make it a little stiffer, or if I was just cruising jeep roads I might take out some high speed compression, but overall it was awesome right out of the box. And if I want to change it, I still have all the range of the clickers. Thanks for all the hard work guys, this thing rocks now.

This is probably the first Mod anyone should have done. I still dont get how some people believe that they need to go out and buy a complete set of new shocks with lesser technology inside them(stepping Backwards) and then having to tune those all up to work properly when these are a great shock that like all factory shocks needs to be tuned and Tom and Gary are the Masters of this Technology. No need to mess around wasting Time and Money on other shocks just have these guys do it and be done with it.

Reactions: Scott F

·
Registered
448 Posts
Can anyone provide contact information, pricing, etc.? Is there a website link for Gary? After 350 miles of stock valving, I'm ready to look into this. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can anyone provide contact information, pricing, etc.? Is there a website link for Gary? After 350 miles of stock valving, I'm ready to look into this. Thanks for any info.
X2 here also!
If someone could shoot me a PM with the info I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Just go with Gary. Save yourself the headache. It's a different car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just make sure you pressure wash them off really good so Gary won't chew your ass for sending dirty Shocks that he will end up cleaning before tear down. Lol. Seriously some people do send him stuff that's Filthy. So I would say out of respect just pressure wash them good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

281 - 300 of 371 Posts