Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my old friend Gary Friess has been valving the RS he owns and has it working pretty damn nice. He sent me a video today and it looks really good.
He is still making it better and for those of you who don't know about Gary , he is very particular and obsessive about making and doing stuff the right way. So now he has his car and he is gonna get it perfect. He is all about Comfort and performance so I'm sure this will be so perfect it will be awesome.
More testing coming up but looks good and he is using factory Springs no need to change them out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That does look really good, but I wouldn't assume there is no room for improvement with the springs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Is Gary in AZ? And if so where..??

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does look really good, but I wouldn't assume there is no room for improvement with the springs.
No assuming here .

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is Gary in AZ? And if so where..??
He lives in Lake Havasu. He has been testing in Barstow on the Trophy truck track and out by his place in Havasu. I'm gonna say that he will make it so awesome it will blow you away. He and his Racing buddies have forgotten more about building and Tuning suspension than most guys combined and multiplied 3x over. Lol.
Best suspension Gurus in the offroad world. Fact.

Reactions: ride200mi

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looked sooooo smooth ��
I know right. And he is tearing them down again and again and Again. It's gonna be sick.
I'm happy cause by the time the 4 seater is out he will have this stuff DOWN PAT. And my car won't be the Barstow test car. Lmao.
There's nothing Nastier than that test track.

Reactions: Warthog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its so clear how the suspension is absorbing everything thrown at it whilst staying on line. Yep hard having her as the test mule but as u know, your front row seat for this sensational research and development. My hats off to u both
Comfort and Performance.......I like that alot :smile:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Best video I have seen regarding shock tuning.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Love to see a stock one as a comparison
Stock; plus preload and valves opened all the way per Poundsand.............. 210 lbs driver in video. Rear still a little harsh on chop but takes HUGE bumps/whoops nicely. 320 miles of bumps so far. Car is on rails in 4WD and a$$ slippy fun in 2WD.
Preload set in the video for the weight of a @ 200 lbs passenger.

Preload = 2.5" plus rear and 1.5" plus front vs stock manual settings. Mine were not stock on all corners, measure. Rear xover up .5" and front down .5".

Thanks again to Poundsand's knowledge sharing.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only way to get a comfortable ride in these cars is to go inside the shocks and change up the valve stack. They can be made a little better with some external changes but it won't ever be cushy.
Getting rid of the teeth rattling bone jarring little stuff is Gary's plan. While still working awesome in big stuff as well. Gary has his shocks off the car again as we speak and doing some more Tuning.
I promise you he will have the best riding setup any of you have ever been in when he is done. Gauranteed

Reactions: GloverXRS

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I will probably give serious consideration to having Gary do my shocks. Never met him but I have always followed the off road racing community so I know his accomplishments. My 2013 maverick was done by Shock Therapy and while they made it much better I was still not completely satisfied. Would like to have Alex do them but I hate the thought of shipping my shocks across the country twice.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would say you would not go wrong with Gary. Him and his offroad buddies have forgotten more about this stuff than most guys would ever hope to know. I promise you that.

Reactions: paulk545

·
Registered
448 Posts
Stock; plus preload and valves opened all the way per Poundsand.............. 210 lbs driver in video. Rear still a little harsh on chop but takes HUGE bumps/whoops nicely. 320 miles of bumps so far. Car is on rails in 4WD and a$$ slippy fun in 2WD.
Preload set in the video for the weight of a @ 200 lbs passenger.

Preload = 2.5" plus rear and 1.5" plus front vs stock manual settings. Mine were not stock on all corners, measure. Rear xover up .5" and front down .5".

Thanks again to Poundsand's knowledge sharing.
That was pretty stand up of Ed to post those settings up.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't wait to see it in action when complete.
Gary told me today he is going back together and going to make some more videos.

Reactions: GloverXRS
1 - 20 of 371 Posts