Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all - I'm new to the group - so Hello!

I've been scouring with searches trying to get some general info on what folks are seeing on milage range on their X3s. I realize "it depends" based on driving conditions, driver, and set up etc, but was looking for some general comments on the subject and what folks are seeing. I've only got a few hours on mine and am just trying to get a gauge on my general range for trip planning purposes.

I was able to grab one data point off an X3 review that stated somewhere around 100 miles/10mpg.

Just curious what others are seeing in general.

Thanks all!
Scott

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
Welcome fromm Tucson AZ. I'm not sure what mileage I'm getting, but it's great, LOL! We made a run to Duner's Diner in Gordons Well from Wash 22 in Glamis. My X3, 3 Wildcats, and a turbo Maverick. We duned over to Roadrunner, then Sand Highway to the diner. Then Sand Highway back, as everybody was running low. Well, one Wildcat did run out of gas, one limped back with 2 bars showing, don't know what the others had. I still had half a tank.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
90-100 miles of dezert.
Do yourself a huge favor and get the rotopak cans to carry extra fuel. That bed area gets real hot with the turbo right there. No need to turn your X-3 into a fireball. I saw a picture of someone's soft cooler getting burnt in the bed of a X-3.

Reactions: SiO2Man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Easy on the fuel carrying, make sure its reasonable and safe. Turbo's get very hot.
Do yourself a huge favor and get the rotopak cans to carry extra fuel. That bed area gets real hot with the turbo right there. No need to turn your X-3 into a fireball. I saw a picture of someone's soft cooler getting burnt in the bed of a X-3.
Yeah I saw those cans, but really didn't want to comment. The only thing I thought was RZR fire.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'd rather pack gas than walk.
I am keeping them on the opposite side of the exhaust.
Going to build a better rack for sure.
Those cans are thick and I checked often to see how hot they get on the first ride.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Put 91 miles on with adding 2.5 gallons. Made it back with no bars and fuel light. Also had a cat and a 900 Polaris run out. Good thing is there was a 1kt in the bunch and he was packing 10 gallons. Roman candle waiting to happen

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would never carry fuel on the back !! No way matchstick waiting to happen one small leak and poof - just my opinion. stay safe I saw a guy with the gas mounted up front on a maverick and it looked safe we don't want the Polaris guys laughing at us

·
Registered
895 Posts
I hit 121 miles, not much left though, im at altitude and i was driving kinda hard.
I did get 17 mpg while driving nice breaking it in, im more like 13 or 14 mpg usually. 11 if im having fun (no dunes tho)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm thinking of making an aluminum tank that fits under the seat. I'll bet I could get 5 gallons or so in one.

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
I would never carry fuel on the back !! No way matchstick waiting to happen one small leak and poof - just my opinion. stay safe I saw a guy with the gas mounted up front on a maverick and it looked safe we don't want the Polaris guys laughing at us
100% agree with you.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yeah I don't want gas anywhere where it can drip on either me or the engine if it leaks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a couple of good rides on our XRS . Brimstone, twra , windrock style trails ( mountians) and 90 miles is stretching it. Currently trying to build a aux tank under the passenger seat. Not something we are looking to sell but def needed for my person use as + 100 miles rides are not uncommon and fuel is not always available

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well crap I must really be on the gas because I'm getting horrible mileage compared to most of you guys, lol. Went from duners diner to Glamis via sand highway, crossed over the dunes to Olds, played around a bit, back to gecko through the dunes, sand highway back to Gordon's Well. 73 miles total, gas light came on about 2 miles from camp. Filled her back up and she took almost 9 gallons. So I would assume 85 miles in the sand is pushing it for me (XRS with a passenger, fwiw)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hopefully IMS will release a under seat transfer tank. We installed one in a turbo RZR after my buddy kept running out of gas.

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
Well crap I must really be on the gas because I'm getting horrible mileage compared to most of you guys, lol. Went from duners diner to Glamis via sand highway, crossed over the dunes to Olds, played around a bit, back to gecko through the dunes, sand highway back to Gordon's Well. 73 miles total, gas light came on about 2 miles from camp. Filled her back up and she took almost 9 gallons. So I would assume 85 miles in the sand is pushing it for me (XRS with a passenger, fwiw)
We're you in 4wd or 2wd? 4wd will eat it up a lot faster....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts