Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help me with any ideals on a Spare wheel and Jack set up for my 2018 X3 Max RS? Post pictures of your set-up?

Thx

·
Registered
36 Posts
I decided to go with the" Factory UTV" spare tire holder for about $275. I liked the clamps and simplicity of it. I'm currently not carrying a jack. For weight savings, i would like to opt for the exhaust air bag set up mega uses. Looks simple enough. But for now, I will find a rock or hill to park on. I only carry a spare on long rides out of town. I have a tire plug kit and harbor freight compressor for minor flats etc. It will usually boil down to budget, The better the jack, the more $$$$ you'll spend! ranging from $25 to $500.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the roof rack with the spare and CanAm screw jack mounted to it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
So it looks like you welded up the lifting arm so it wouldn't tilt down and dump the car? I have one of those jacks but rather than a stamped arm like you have mine seems to be a cast solid part.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So it looks like you welded up the lifting arm so it wouldn't tilt down and dump the car? I have one of those jacks but rather than a stamped arm like you have mine seems to be a cast solid part.
You are correct Zambo, it works great, never had to use it on my car in the field but used on others . The small in locks it in the bottom of the arm arm or trailing arm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speaking of spare wheels for an X3 Max RS: I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but I shall forge ahead! Are the front and rear wheels different? The BRP website has front and rears. If so, which one works best for a spare? I don't have a caliper that will let me measure the wheels so I can't confirm whether front and rear are the same.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I think yours are the same. My XDS wheels are definitely different between the front and rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When i bought my X3 XRC, I went on an accessory buying spree which included the storage rack, matching spare tire and the screw jack (all OEM). Because the jack is secured to the spare tire by a mounting bracket, the tire/wheel/jack assembly has to be assembled before hoisting it onto the rack. It's kind of a PITA to get it down and separate the jack from the tire if you just want to lift the machine to check bearing play or fix a flat tire when not out on the trail. I purchased a drop leg screw jack from Amazon and welded a short tube on the side that fits into the OEM jack receivers that are mounted to the frame just inside the door on each side of the machine.

It's plug-n-play, works like a champ and you don't need extra tools to make it work, unlike the Can Am jack. It's not any heavier that the OEM jack and if I'd known then what I know now, I would have fabricated my own receivers and saved myself a lot of $$$ for other accessories. The jack was $51 on Amazon and another $20 in materials would have covered all the mounting tubes/brackets -vs- $460 for the OEM jack kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking to mount the spare tire rack you are using but before I buy I need to be sure it will fit in my enclosed trailer. Can you tell me what the height is to the top of tire? Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am looking to mount the spare tire rack you are using but before I buy I need to be sure it will fit in my enclosed trailer. Can you tell me what the height is to the top of tire? Thanks
Mine is sitting at just under 72". I do not have the sprint and shock work done yet so it will be a little higher depending on the shock and spring setup you are running.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
When i bought my X3 XRC, I went on an accessory buying spree which included the storage rack, matching spare tire and the screw jack (all OEM). Because the jack is secured to the spare tire by a mounting bracket, the tire/wheel/jack assembly has to be assembled before hoisting it onto the rack. It's kind of a PITA to get it down and separate the jack from the tire if you just want to lift the machine to check bearing play or fix a flat tire when not out on the trail. I purchased a drop leg screw jack from Amazon and welded a short tube on the side that fits into the OEM jack receivers that are mounted to the frame just inside the door on each side of the machine.

It's plug-n-play, works like a champ and you don't need extra tools to make it work, unlike the Can Am jack. It's not any heavier that the OEM jack and if I'd known then what I know now, I would have fabricated my own receivers and saved myself a lot of $$$ for other accessories. The jack was $51 on Amazon and another $20 in materials would have covered all the mounting tubes/brackets -vs- $460 for the OEM jack kit.
if you jack up both sides at same time is the bike balanced evenly so all 4 wheels are off the ground? nice set up

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you jack up both sides at same time is the bike balanced evenly so all 4 wheels are off the ground? nice set up
Haven't tried it cuz the Can Am jack is a PITA to get down and separate from the tire. I doubt it would be balanced but you could probably teeter it by hand and stick a block under the heavier end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haven't tried it cuz the Can Am jack is a PITA to get down and separate from the tire. I doubt it would be balanced but you could probably teeter it by hand and stick a block under the heavier end.
You peaked my curiosity so I ordered and modified a second jack. Raising the machine from one side with a single jack will lift both tires on the same side off the ground. If I use two jacks, the front tires come off the ground first. I can force the front end down to get all four wheels off the ground but would have to prop it up in the rear in order to remove all four wheels at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use a scissor jack that fits under the front or rear arms, to jack up a corner of the car. I have a Dewalt impact that I use for the lug nuts and the nut on the scissor jack. I put the jack inside a bag that is strapped to the floor of the car, under my legs.
The spare tire fits on a rack on the flat part of the bed. Sorry I can't remember who made the rack. I think it was a fab shop in Calexico.

I like this best, the car looks cleaner this way without all kinds of shit strapped to it.

PM me with your email if you want pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts