Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have the evo stage 4RWI tune...the one to run 100octane I think it is and I mix half premium and half vp110 which is roughly 100. I noticed here lately when I get a load on the motor the thing seems to not want to spool up. It just boggs down and I let off the throttle and I try to get back into it again then it lights up. its almost like it has a boost leak but my boost guage reads just fine under hard acceleration. Is this something a blow off valve will help with?

I also did not gap my plugs for the new fuel so that may be the cause?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a new helix, springs and rollers from Airdam on here and he went pretty in depth on my setup to match it for what I got. I am running 40" bkt's with portals but I don't imagine that effects anything.

·
Registered
674 Posts
sounds tune related. if the ECU is sensing lean, misfire, knock, detonation, high intake air temps, anything of those sorts it will instantly pull power back to try to save the engine. your tune could be hot, plugs not firing properly, detonation, misfire, all sorts of stuff, and the ECU will roll back on the power and if you keep your foot in the floor it might even feel like it tries to roll back into power as it tried to fix whatever is wrong with the ECU, or tuning. lots of things to go over and check out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think you made the wrong choice or that you picked the wrong set up for cluting. Backshifting for our clutches is the ability to kick down to a lower "gear" and maintain RPM's when the engine experiences "load" or when you get on and off the throttle real quick. An example would be if I was riding a river bed and was on dry shore and then made my way into a wet mud hole/crossing, a good backshiffting clutch set up would keep the RPM's at or close to peak HP. With a poor backshifting set up when you go from dry shore to wet mud, the RPM's will fall off. The same thing will happen...though not as bad...if you let off the throttle at WOT and hit it again. With a very aggressive clutch set up RPM's will either take along time to recover of the car will fall on its face and RPM's wont recover. Sounds like you can get it to backshift after cycling the throttle though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It may not be the problem but I would re-gap the plugs to .020
VP110 is a consistent blend but what about your premium? Maybe try a 60/40 of VP/premium.
Any chance of water/condensation in your fuel?
One last thought, VP110 is leaded, check your "O2" sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
O2 sensor would show fault code. This past Saturday mine would bog down at 5900 rpm then limp mode and check engine light. Checked everything and then pulled the fuel pump. I saw what I thought was water so I pumped it out and refilled after about 30 minutes it started running better and the. All was good. I put the gas in Saturday mourn on my way to tenn to ride. It must of had water in it . So check your gas for water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was playing in flood water little over 4' but nothing real deep. never had the check engine light come on and no limp mode. I'm thinking I was a little heavy on the 110 and no regap could be my issue. It works good taking off in low and never does it then just in high where there is more of a load. I'll try to get some plugs from evo this week and see how that works. Mabey its also just the nature of the beast driving with my setup?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Same thing mine did. Wouldnt go in limp mode until 5900 rpm. If I kept it below that it ran fine. In low it would run fine but in high under heavy load is when it would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Backshifting for our clutches is the ability to kick down to a lower "gear" and maintain RPM's when the engine experiences "load" or when you get on and off the throttle real quick. With a poor backshifting set up when you go from dry shore to wet mud, the RPM's will fall off. The same thing will happen...though not as bad...if you let off the throttle at WOT and hit it again. With a very aggressive clutch set up RPM's will either take along time to recover of the car will fall on its face and RPM's wont recover. Sounds like you can get it to backshift after cycling the throttle though.
the clutch setup he has, will hold consistent RPM under any load, going from flat ground, into a mud hole wide open throttle, the clutch will backshift under load and under full throttle and maintain RPM without ever bogging. the parts he has will backshift better than anything else on the market. very few people understand clutching, RPM, and power, and how they are connected. the only time his machine will hold a low RPM, is if the engine is down on power. and the engine only does this when something is wrong, ecu related, power related, ect. the clutch setup he has, will hold consistent RPM on any terrain, under any load. You could go from a flat pavement run, to up china wall, and still hold within 100RPM on flat ground or up the biggest dune you can find. That is backshift and what he has will do it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Playing in shallow water will of course splash. Is it possible to draw water thru the gas tank vent hose in the passenger area??
The factory spark plugs can be re-gapped.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It did it before I got to the water. IMO it’s probably fuel/plug related. It’s not doing it constantly but enough to be kinda annoying. I’m going to run the rest of the fuel out then run 93 in it and reflash it and see how it does then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently I have the evo stage 4RWI tune...the one to run 100octane I think it is and I mix half premium and half vp110 which is roughly 100. I noticed here lately when I get a load on the motor the thing seems to not want to spool up. It just boggs down and I let off the throttle and I try to get back into it again then it lights up. its almost like it has a boost leak but my boost guage reads just fine under hard acceleration. Is this something a blow off valve will help with?

I also did not gap my plugs for the new fuel so that may be the cause?
After I did the big injector kit and 235hp tune mine felt the same way so I searched the forums and could not find anything. I felt like the turbo was getting a little back pressure and hesitated when I stepped on the throttle so I threw a BOV on which was a cheapy from ebay that attached to the inter cooler hose. I think it made a night and day difference. In my opinion it runs as it should now. My only problem is to much power for the stock clutching and it will rev out to quick so I need to figure out the best set up for all the extra power

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After I did the big injector kit and 235hp tune mine felt the same way so I searched the forums and could not find anything. I felt like the turbo was getting a little back pressure and hesitated when I stepped on the throttle so I threw a BOV on which was a cheapy from ebay that attached to the inter cooler hose. I think it made a night and day difference. In my opinion it runs as it should now. My only problem is to much power for the stock clutching and it will rev out to quick so I need to figure out the best set up for all the extra power
It’s my understanding it is recommended in their stage 4-5 kit anyway. Quite often if I hammer the throttle and stop real quick it still drives the X3 forward some and imo a bov would help with that also. Screw it all hit evo up again and give it a try. I’m going to vent it into my snorkels so hopefully I won’t hear it all the time and keep mud out of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts