Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how important are the gusset kits and shock tower brace? I see tons of advertising for them and a few saying they are a necessity but never really see pics or proof of reasons why. Anyone ever had a failure and if so how many miles in did it happen? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Good question...I put both on my car at about 100 miles or so. I have 3000 very hard and fast miles on my car (all west va trails) and my car is still tight. When I replaced the a arm bushings awhile back, all my holes still lined up and there was no wallowing or egging out. Not sure if that would of been the case without gusset kit and shock tower, but I’m glad I have them as the stock canam floating front end (or whatever term you want to use) is really a piss poor design imo. To not have a double shear shock tower is really odd imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
10,075 Posts
Very, very important. Choose the gusset kit and shock brace of your choice and install. Don't and eventually suffer the costly consequences.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wasn't certain they were needed when I purchased my X3. I spent some time reading a little about it, and seeing some folks with cracked frames etc wondering if the thing was blown out of proportion at least a little bit. I then crawled under the car (that only had about 50 trail miles) and looked at exactly what everyone was talking about. I was shocked at the design. After duning for most of my life and understanding a little bit about the forces I would be putting into the chassis while duning, I decided then and there my car was never gonna touch the sand until the gusset work was done.

Gusset kits were ordered and installed the next week.

YMMV.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I don't think there is any UTV out there in more need of a gusset kit than the X3. Cheap insurance...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well shit guess I'm getting a gusset kit then lol! It's sad though that you spend this much money on a toy and it's not made better. 28k on a toy and now you have to spend 7k in upgrades to make sure you can make it through the ride.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is unfortunate that they aren't built a little better with respect to the frame. That being said,,, if you aren't one to launch it repeatedly, or bomb through whoops regularly, it'll probably do just fine. It's pretty surprising how much abuse they actually CAN take in stock form. A buddy of mine has an overloaded 4 seater that he beats the crap out of. He literally BOMBS through every set of whoops he can find. It's been put "gently" on it's top twice while he was re-learning how to transition razorbacks with a 13' long car. He's bent/replaced his radius rods, but has yet to have any frame or arm issues, and doesn't have one gusset of any kind. :unsure:

He will literally floor it from the top of Olds and rip through the whoops at the bottom to jump out of the start "hump". He lives for that sh!t,,,, I have to look away when he does it 'cause I fear one of these times the front is gonna fold on him.

After watching him beat on his car without gussets, I'm sure I would have been perfectly fine without them,,,, as long as I didn't put a foot too wrong while driving. The gussets are insurance for me. Knowing I have a bit more strength lets me relax and enjoy pushing the car harder, instead of worrying that if I make a driving error or mis-read the sand I could end the weekend for us. It could still happen,,, but it's less likely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts