Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking for some advice on replacing a right front outer CV Boot on my Maverick X3. I am trying to become more self sufficient on working on my own machine so I do not have to pay somebody else to do what seems like somewhat easy repairs.

I have ordered the new boot kit and want to replace it myself. Can I get away with just dropping the lower A-Arm, will that give me enough play to remove the axle from the hub?

I know I need a special tool to install the clamps. Can Am want $170 for one, can I find them cheaper?

Last but not least,how much grease do I need to put on the joint inside the boot? Also my buddy said something about burping the air out of the boot before tightening the small clamp,is this necessary?

I looked for how to videos but could not find one on this topic. Anybody know of a good video that shows this process?

Thank you!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Remove: Lower control arm from spindle, brake caliper, brake rotor, shock. Lift hub as high as you can, then pull axle out of hub.

You don't need the special tool, but it makes it a lot easier.

Does the new boot kit not come with grease?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The problem is not removing the axle from the car, it's removing the cv from the axle and then putting it back on correctly. I only ever saw a video of one tool that stretched the smaller axle hole large enough to slip the boot over the cv but I can't imagine what it cost.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The problem is not removing the axle from the car, it's removing the cv from the axle and then putting it back on correctly. I only ever saw a video of one tool that stretched the smaller axle hole large enough to slip the boot over the cv but I can't imagine what it cost.
I've never done it on a cv joint, but I have had really good luck taking a strip of plastic from a sods bottle or milk jug and making a tapered guide. Just wrap it, glue it on the inside, put it back over the cv and use lots of lube. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think there's a video on YouTube, a guy uses a funnel . Look up on YouTube,
Can-am maverick cv boot replacement .
Hope that helps.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I've never done it on a cv joint, but I have had really good luck taking a strip of plastic from a sods bottle or milk jug and making a tapered guide. Just wrap it, glue it on the inside, put it back over the cv and use lots of lube. Worth a shot.
Best shot would be to cut up a transmission funnel. Good boots are stretchy.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know if it comes with grease or not. I ordered from my can am dealer over the phone and he said it was a cv boot kit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just replaced a boot with the one from the Can Am kit. It comes with boot, both boot clamps, grease and the c-clip. The CV pops off the axle easily and installs just as easy. You can use channel locks to install the clamps.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
this tool looks better than a hard funnel. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...EZ-Trail-Universal-CV-Boot-&-Tool-Kit?v=13504

Hello all,

Looking for some advice on replacing a right front outer CV Boot on my Maverick X3. I am trying to become more self sufficient on working on my own machine so I do not have to pay somebody else to do what seems like somewhat easy repairs.

I have ordered the new boot kit and want to replace it myself. Can I get away with just dropping the lower A-Arm, will that give me enough play to remove the axle from the hub?

I know I need a special tool to install the clamps. Can Am want $170 for one, can I find them cheaper?

Last but not least,how much grease do I need to put on the joint inside the boot? Also my buddy said something about burping the air out of the boot before tightening the small clamp,is this necessary?

I looked for how to videos but could not find one on this topic. Anybody know of a good video that shows this process?

Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts