Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a maverick x3 and when i put it in 4 wheel to go up a slick hill climb or anything i need it for and give it some it clanks really hard in the front end like the driveshaft is hitting the skid plate could be the u joint or might just need a new driveshaft please let me know what it could be thanks.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
Gotta get in there and look. Takes 15 minutes. Could be a few things.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i have a maverick x3 and when i put it in 4 wheel to go up a slick hill climb or anything i need it for and give it some it clanks really hard in the front end like the driveshaft is hitting the skid plate could be the u joint or might just need a new driveshaft please let me know what it could be thanks.
You should start first with physically inspecting your driveshaft for play or obvious damage then let us know if you didn't see or feel any issues. Last thing you want is it coming apart at RPM.. If driveline feels tight you probably damaged your front Diff.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
185 Posts
Check to make sure the yoke bolts haven't loosened and the yoke has slid forward contacting the frame.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
133 Posts
As suggested above, a physical inspection is the first thing you should be doing to troubleshoot the issue. That driveshaft is spinning right near your ankles with nothing but some cheesy plastic covering it. If you never seen a driveshaft failure you should search YouTube as it is ugly. I've experienced two driveshaft explosions so any driveshaft vibration or noise gets my full attention right-quick.

The pinch bolt that holds the u-joints on the spline is a weak point and a prime suspect from your symptom -- so pay attention to that when doing your inspection.

·
Premium Member
7,823 Posts
$100 says its the carrier bearing, who wants to bet?
Crawl under side, grab driveshaft and try to wiggle it, follow the noise and there is your problem.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
$100 says its the carrier bearing, who wants to bet?
Crawl under side, grab driveshaft and try to wiggle it, follow the noise and there is your problem.
That's what I was thinking too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts