Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ATTENTION X3 owners! We have seen some BRP primary clutch thrust rollers wear excessively and break in half causing poor shifting and clutch damage, this is applicable to all X3 clutches stock or modified, the thrust rollers are a wearable item and need to be maintained. This particular set failed at [email protected] The roller inspection is recommended every 2000miles/100hours or 1000miles/50hours in extreme conditions along with the complete disassembly and inspection of the clutches. KWI Clutching recommends all X3 owners inspect these for wear and rotate them every 500 miles regardless of riding conditions. Instructions for inspection, rotation and replacement will be posted on www.kwiclutching.com later today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
do we have a part # for the shoes / slidders?

Matt

·
Premium Member
10,162 Posts
What is considered "extreme conditions?"

Will you be making new shoes out of a different / harder material?

Reactions: MCI

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the part number for the thrust roller (#14) is 420229991. you will also need to replace the orings (#12) for the slider shoes (#11) you remove to access the pin (#13). always order more orings than you need because we also see these melt and get pinched during normal use. if you have a thrust roller failure you will need a new pin and may have some other damage in the clutch such as main bushing wear or weight sets that are scratched and require replacement. I would guess BRP will warranty these if you have maintained your clutches in accordance with the recommended maintenance intervals.
X3 clutch breakdown.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Corrected the post to align verbiage with the BRP manual. The parts we are concerned about are "thrust rollers"

·
Premium Member
10,162 Posts
What were some of the warning sides? Or how did you know the rollers were failing? Noise?
Clutch chatter?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Are these thrust rollers the same size as the older Mavericks as there rollers look the same . If they spec out the same the dalton steel rollers would work . If the X3 has the same rollers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are these thrust rollers the same size as the older Mavericks as there rollers look the same . If they spec out the same the dalton steel rollers would work . If the X3 has the same rollers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clutch was designed as a slide style, the thrust rollers work fine but need to be inspected and rotated regularly. no reason to change to rollers at this time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
What is considered "extreme conditions?"

Will you be making new shoes out of a different / harder material?
Well let's look at it using some mathematical figures...
If you read the OP..it says the failure took place at 1600 miles with 50hrs.
If you do the math...that's an average speed of 32 mph!
That doesn't include idling and warm up.
Let's look at my car..
I'm at 300 miles with 20 hrs...thats an average speed of 15 mph..
Now I always warm my car up and never open it up until the first bar on the temp is showing. I do feel I drive it purdy hard..but.

After using some math... I'd say that this clutch in question has been run flat out pedal to the metal it's entire life!!
So.. what's your numbers look like ?

·
Premium Member
10,162 Posts
Well let's look at it using some mathematical figures...
If you read the OP..it says the failure took place at 1600 miles with 50hrs.
If you do the math...that's an average speed of 32 mph!
That doesn't include idling and warm up.
Let's look at my car..
I'm at 300 miles with 20 hrs...thats an average speed of 15 mph..
Now I always warm my car up and never open it up until the first bar on the temp is showing. I do feel I drive it purdy hard..but.

After using some math... I'd say that this clutch in question has been run flat out pedal to the metal it's entire life!!
So.. what's your numbers look like ?
Not sure on miles or hours. I'll have to check.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Clutch was designed as a slide style, the thrust rollers work fine but need to be inspected and rotated regularly. no reason to change to rollers at this time.
My maverick came with flat rollers and being that I have a few clutches I put dalton rollers in one and shifting is improved over the flat ones .
BRP built the flat ones because the commander and some of the sleds would put flat spots on there round plastic ones . There fix was to make them flat . Removing the friction is a improvement.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's also the fact rollers put a lot of force on one small flyweight contact area and are known to put dents in weights- being that these weights are so thin there may be a broken weight in the future with rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My guess is BRP used plastic or Special blend as it is cheaper than steel rollers . The only time a steel roller damages a weight is if they don't turn , then damage happens fast .
I have one unit with 7500 miles on steel rollers and they are still good . One other unit has round plastic BRP rollers and they have been changed 4 times in 6000 miles . I am testing both on my mav and we shall see what lasts the best once my turbo gets dialed in . I like the idea of rollers more than sliders from turbo mountain experience with high power

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My guess is BRP used plastic or Special blend as it is cheaper than steel rollers . The only time a steel roller damages a weight is if they don't turn , then damage happens fast .
I have one unit with 7500 miles on steel rollers and they are still good . One other unit has round plastic BRP rollers and they have been changed 4 times in 6000 miles . I am testing both on my mav and we shall see what lasts the best once my turbo gets dialed in . I like the idea of rollers more than sliders from turbo mountain experience with high power
I agree a roller clutch is better. We have something trick in the works and hopefully it tests we'll to go full roller on the primary and it'll be adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts