Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have the dynomite 310hp turbo setup on my 18 x3 xds and wondering if anyone else is running else besides the shift tek clutch kits. Kwi, assasins, etc and any info as to what has and hasnt worked. I tried searching and google but no real answers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
everyone has a clutch kit for the x3
dalton
dynojet
d&d
epi
gboost
aftermarket assassins
packard
i am sure there are more
then you can go to the stm clutches
and then there are many kits for stm clutches
no one clutch kit is the best....the best at what....
clutching is a compromise
what works for good rock crawling could be horrible for drag racing
you should search for a kit that is set up for your type of riding

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya , so 80% drag racing 20% trail. I called kwi in phx to have them install a clutch tune of there own and they said they wouldnt even touch it because they didnt know what clutch to use for the power. Which seemed very odd to me since its what they do and i know im not the only one with the power level. Maybe the rep i talked to just didnt wana deal with it or ? . So what im looking for is other people around the same power level and what or who's setup they have gone with and if the results have been good or they switched to another company

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Ya , so 80% drag racing 20% trail. I called kwi in phx to have them install a clutch tune of there own and they said they wouldnt even touch it because they didnt know what clutch to use for the power. Which seemed very odd to me since its what they do and i know im not the only one with the power level. Maybe the rep i talked to just didnt wana deal with it or ? . So what im looking for is other people around the same power level and what or who's setup they have gone with and if the results have been good or they switched to another company

High HP drag racing, I see a lot of STM's being used.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Do you mean KMS in Phx? I’d avoid them.

For your purposes the KWI x250 is a great
option. They provide a nice setup guide for various power levels and Kris will know exactly where to start for that turbo.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes sorry about that I meant kms. So reason i wanted to use them was the before and after dyno runs to prove out what the clutching they did was putting down. What bad experience did you have with them out of curiosity. Im not gona use them Anyways since they didnt even wana touch my lil beast

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Yes sorry about that I meant kms. So reason i wanted to use them was the before and after dyno runs to prove out what the clutching they did was putting down. What bad experience did you have with them out of curiosity. Im not gona use them Anyways since they didnt even wana touch my lil beast

Yeah I kinda scratched my head on that one when posted, I can see KMS but not KWI

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Why not just talk to EVO? It is their turbo kit and they know how to set up the clutching for your intended purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mgrotel and Ledfoot

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not just talk to EVO? It is their turbo kit and they know how to set up the clutching for your intended purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did but its always good to see what other people's experiences have been aswell

·
Premium Member
7,726 Posts
You only need stm if you are making big power. A dynomite kit does not need stms. For that kit I would stick with one company and deal with Evo, or if you must go elsewhere, the KWI x250 kit would be good, with the full float and truing mod from KWI.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
he’s right. No need the go STM until you’re 300+ whp (EVO 355 or more?).

If you’re looking at KWI you have two good options. The AO Green (replaced X250) or the X250 Drag.

AO Green has adjust weights primary and secondary springs and a custom cut helix. This kit replaced the X250 previously mentioned.

X250 Drag is amazing! BUT it has a high engagement which is great for drag racing and bad for everything else. Also a makes it easy to put a paddle through the door in your toyhauler...

I would also recommend looking at the Packard PMC clutching. Similar to the X250 drag in weight design and profile but doesn’t carry the really high engagements...or a higher than stock engagement. Still driveable but not something you want to rock crawl or anything with. Revs/shifts to quick.

All round good kit...KWI AO Green with Full Float.

If you’re looking for dyno results to prove the clutching...I have that too. I have spent way to much time on the dyno with setup after setup...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks blackmarket, that is exactly the info ive been looking for. I cant really read the dyno graphs though. Could you send me a more clear pic if the dyno comparisons. Thanks. And do you sell kwi clutches?

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
DM me your email address and I can send you the dyno graph if you would like.

Clutching (for the most part) won’t change your peak power out put if you’re clutch properly to start with. The biggest change it makes is how fast or slow it shifts the clutches and controlling your target RPMs. It’s more complicated that this but...

What you notice in the dyno graphs is how quickly to peak HP/Torque come on. Also note that the cam shafts I have are targeting higher RPM and my target RPM is 9000-9100. Stock internals you should be targeting 7900-8100 RPM.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
In the dyno sheet I shared the KWI Drag kit is the lighter blue (blue, blue) line. That dyno run starts at almost 5000 rpm because of the high engagement.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Interesting when I put on my STM that was set up for high HP and only running the WS170 just to see where things stood. It engaged at 4200 rpm and ran the rpms up to 8300 when the limiter kicked in. Holy crap what a ride as belt slip was none and shift out much better than my poor stock clutch (going off to KWI), interesting how much can be lost with poor engagement. Now in process of lowering the primary spring rate and putting more weight on the arms to bring it down to proper rpms for my tune and riding style.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts