Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
X3 does still have better suspension travel, geometry, and wheelbase than a YXZ. Those are things you really cant “fix” on a YXZ.

It does suck how BRP setup the shocks on these things but you still have a much better platform to start with.

It would take a lot more money to get a YXZ to handle like an X3 that has had a shock tune.
the qs3 system on the base models sucks altogether'.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the Q3's literally on the way back to me from shock therapy. 1700 bucks for springs and ris plus a shit ton of shipping and a stock xrs will be more plush than what I'm going to have??? Wow I feel pretty stupid right about now. What a fing waste of money.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the X3 Turbo base with Q3S's. I jacked my front end up last night and didn't adjust because I still do not know what the hell I am doing.
I watched the Fox video many times.

I measured the front Crossover on the ground it was 6 1/2" I measured the front Crossover jacked up it was 7 1/2" the chart says it should be at 4 1/2" and that is jacked up.....right? If so that would be 3" less!?!? Confused I am.

I measured the Installed Spring Length on the ground it was 21" I measured the Installed Spring Length jacked up and it was at 23 1/2" the chart says it should be at 23 1/4".....so I am only 1/4" off? Well until I change the Crossover and make it 3" shorter...…

I feel like a damn greenhorn! Someone has to bail me out please. :confused:
This explains how to do it pretty quick and easy.

I did this on my q shocks and got the ride height up to where it should be to utilize the full 20 inches of travel. Keep in mind the ride will get harsh especially and slow speed. Raising the crossover rings up is suppose to cause the smaller spring to engage early and help. It does not help enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This explains how to do it pretty quick and easy.

I did this on my q shocks and got the ride height up to where it should be to utilize the full 20 inches of travel. Keep in mind the ride will get harsh especially and slow speed. Raising the crossover rings up is suppose to cause the smaller spring to engage early and help. It does not help enough.
Don't follow that fox tune for the Qs3 it will cause you to roll or screw something up I did this and it really helped

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
You will have a better ride but you really can’t compare qs3 to ibp shocks. Literally apples and oranges. I bought the shock therapy springs for my xmr turbo r 72”. The springs did help it not what I had in my head. Still very harsh . I bought walker links for sway bar , again did helped but still sucked. Now I’ve bought a set of shocks off a new 2020 xrc. Didn’t want to half ass it so I also bought eibach springs to go with it. I only paid 600$ for the springs from st so my loss was not that bad. The valving will help but still won’t be like Ibp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
You will have a better ride but you really can’t compare qs3 to ibp shocks. Literally apples and oranges. I bought the shock therapy springs for my xmr turbo r 72”. The springs did help it not what I had in my head. Still very harsh . I bought walker links for sway bar , again did helped but still sucked. Now I’ve bought a set of shocks off a new 2020 xrc. Didn’t want to half ass it so I also bought eibach springs to go with it. I only paid 600$ for the springs from st so my loss was not that bad. The valving will help but still won’t be like Ibp.

How much would ibp shocks cost?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I got a hell of a deal. 1800$ brand new. Another 800$ for eibach springs

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I could be wrong but I don’t think they make them for a 64” machine though.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Unless you’ve tuned you buggy you really don’t need clutch work even if you went up to 32” tires . Stock holds well unless you are a duner with paddles

·
Registered
12 Posts
does
If Shock Therapy RIS is considered 100% improvement, you can probably get to 40-50%% improvement with the stock setup, properly adjusted.
Here's the Fox recommended setup, although my crossovers are set to even more travel, allowing the softer spring more movement.
View attachment 217564

This is generally speaking (I have a Turbo R with QS3's) what I have mine at, which is softer than fox's recommendation.

Set front+ rear ground clearance roughly 14 inches as measured from f/r skid
Set Front crossover ring 1.5-2 inches above middle spring perch when settled (not jacked off ground)
Set Rear crossover ring 2 inches above middle spring perch

For trail, both F/R set to soft
For dune, both F/R set to medium

Tire PSI (unless in jagged rocks)
Front tire PSI - 8-10
Rear tire PSI - 8-10
your Qs3 have a rebound adjustment

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unless you’ve tuned you buggy you really don’t need clutch work even if you went up to 32” tires . Stock holds well unless you are a duner with paddles

My plan is to use the 32" carnivores for trails and put 30" or 32" (<if they fit) skats in the light stock rims for the dunes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sorry guys I just saw this post that was revived. I started with a 64” XRC with the QS3 shock. After a bunch of phone calls and research I was left with 2 realistic choices. Either get the QS3 revalved and new springs or find a set of used shocks from an XDS and have those done. Buying a set of IBP shocks for a 64” car was unrealistic for my budget. So here’s how my evolution went.
Bought a set of XDS shocks used with Shock Therapy springs on them.
Swapped the ST springs on to my QS3 shocks, ride height set to 16”. Improvement 25%
Tune the XDS shocks with Eibach Springs (MTS Offroad), ride height 16.5”. Improvement 90%
Sold QS3 with ST springs for $600.00
Very Happy with the overall performance with 30” Tensor Regulator tires for desert riding
OPTION: You CAN upgrade your QS3 shock to the XDS shock. The parts are available from Fox. The reputable builders can do it for you and will save you some money if you can’t find a good used set from an XDS. This gives you the 3 way adjustment that really helps. Setting the ride height to 16” also utilizes the piston travel better than 14.5”. Once you replace the springs and after the initial sag you may not have to adjust again for a looooong time, not like the stock springs that needed adjustment after every 4th ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i gotta ask those who are unhappy with their qs3 where are you riding and type of riding?

I'll be coming from a wildcat sport that had elka 5s with the full range of adjustments. so it's really surprising to me to hear that this machine is so disappointing to you guys.

i ride east coast trails where were be living to see sustained 40 to 50mph on trails. we just have so much variation in what we ride over. so I'm wondering if the complaints are mainly geared to those of you guys running day over dessert terrain.

I'm picking up a new 19 xrc 64inch this week.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts