Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Vendor
258 Posts
Shock therapy, I'm on the verge of ditching my stock qs3s for some bypass shock off a rs or even some off a rs. Having tested all stock and with your shock work, what is the best route for me between the 3 in stock, adjusted by me, and with your tuning. I guess you could throw in opinions on aftermarket shocks also. I just dont want to spend more than 3k to get all 4 where o need them for primarily dunes riding but some trails here in wa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
First, You can't put the factory bypass shocks from an RS on your base model without swapping all the arms, axles and cv's too. So that would put you way over your $3k budget. But QS3 shocks (base model) and RC2's (DS model) will ride almost the same with the exception of adjust-ability. The DS shocks have more adjustment options for you to get them where you like them and a little more bump stage progression. On a scale of 1-10, stock to stock the base is a 1, the DS is a 2 and the RS is a 5. With the Fox settings and your adjustments the base is a 2, the DS is a 3 and the RS is a 6.5. With our internal shock work and external spring kit the base is a 5, the DS is a 6.5 and the RS is a 10. Hope that gets you what your looking for.

·
Registered
592 Posts
First, You can't put the factory bypass shocks from an RS on your base model without swapping all the arms, axles and cv's too. So that would put you way over your $3k budget. But QS3 shocks (base model) and RC2's (DS model) will ride almost the same with the exception of adjust-ability. The DS shocks have more adjustment options for you to get them where you like them and a little more bump stage progression. On a scale of 1-10, stock to stock the base is a 1, the DS is a 2 and the RS is a 5. With the Fox settings and your adjustments the base is a 2, the DS is a 3 and the RS is a 6.5. With our internal shock work and external spring kit the base is a 5, the DS is a 6.5 and the RS is a 10. Hope that gets you what your looking for.

Surprised that you'd rate a tuned base as worse than a stock RS... That's interesting.
On another note, someone needs to offer the RS suspension upgrade as a kit... hint hint.

·
Vendor
258 Posts
New Bypass shocks $4,000 ish
New RS arms and Radius rods $1,600 ish
New CV and Axles $1,000 ish
All bushings, ball joints, ect, $400 ish
Total $7,000 probably more.

Better off finding a used set of Bypass shocks and buying a long travel kit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So my stock base turbo is a 1 compared to what?

·
Vendor
258 Posts
Compared to the other X3 models. 1 being the ride quality of a stock base X3 and a 10 being the best any of them could ride with any shock and spring options.

·
Registered
592 Posts
New Bypass shocks $4,000 ish
New RS arms and Radius rods $1,600 ish
New CV and Axles $1,000 ish
All bushings, ball joints, ect, $400 ish
Total $7,000 probably more.

Better off finding a used set of Bypass shocks and buying a long travel kit.
Very true. I'm on the lookout for a used set to eventually do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the base X3, and just did my shock adjustment as per the Fox suggestion. I gained 2" of ride height overall, but have not been able to ride it yet to see how it handles.

But, when taking initial measurements, the front was a 1/2" lower than the rear at 12" and 12.5" from stock settings.

After the adjustment, I now sit at 14" in the front and 14.5" in the rear.

I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a level ride height?

As a note, I did this work in my garage, on a concrete floor.

·
Vendor
258 Posts
I have the base X3, and just did my shock adjustment as per the Fox suggestion. I gained 2" of ride height overall, but have not been able to ride it yet to see how it handles.

But, when taking initial measurements, the front was a 1/2" lower than the rear at 12" and 12.5" from stock settings.

After the adjustment, I now sit at 14" in the front and 14.5" in the rear.

I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a level ride height?

As a note, I did this work in my garage, on a concrete floor.
There are too many variables to just set cars at a certain pre load and go. This will almost always produce different ride heights from car to car. This is why we always adjust to ride height. This means you may have a little more pre load to get the ride height you need but that cures all other variables and puts the car where the system works best. I would raise the front of your car a bit to match the rear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Measured my ride height this morning on my stock 2018 X3 turbo it is @ 13"
I'll be doing the adjustment tonight.

·
Registered
188 Posts
View attachment 217564

This is generally speaking (I have a Turbo R with QS3's) what I have mine at, which is softer than fox's recommendation.

Set front+ rear ground clearance roughly 14 inches as measured from f/r skid
Set Front crossover ring 1.5-2 inches above middle spring perch when settled (not jacked off ground)
Set Rear crossover ring 2 inches above middle spring perch

For trail, both F/R set to soft
For dune, both F/R set to medium

Tire PSI (unless in jagged rocks)
Front tire PSI - 8-10
Rear tire PSI - 8-10
I have the X3 Turbo base with Q3S's. I jacked my front end up last night and didn't adjust because I still do not know what the hell I am doing.
I watched the Fox video many times.

I measured the front Crossover on the ground it was 6 1/2" I measured the front Crossover jacked up it was 7 1/2" the chart says it should be at 4 1/2" and that is jacked up.....right? If so that would be 3" less!?!? Confused I am.

I measured the Installed Spring Length on the ground it was 21" I measured the Installed Spring Length jacked up and it was at 23 1/2" the chart says it should be at 23 1/4".....so I am only 1/4" off? Well until I change the Crossover and make it 3" shorter...…

I feel like a damn greenhorn! Someone has to bail me out please. :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ended up buying some ds shocks and sent them in to shock therapy to be worked. My appt is in a couple weeks but I'll definitely update what I think when I get them on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the X3 Turbo base with Q3S's. I jacked my front end up last night and didn't adjust because I still do not know what the hell I am doing.
I watched the Fox video many times.

I measured the front Crossover on the ground it was 6 1/2" I measured the front Crossover jacked up it was 7 1/2" the chart says it should be at 4 1/2" and that is jacked up.....right? If so that would be 3" less!?!? Confused I am.

I measured the Installed Spring Length on the ground it was 21" I measured the Installed Spring Length jacked up and it was at 23 1/2" the chart says it should be at 23 1/4".....so I am only 1/4" off? Well until I change the Crossover and make it 3" shorter...…

I feel like a damn greenhorn! Someone has to bail me out please. :confused:
Bump from the dead! Did you ever figure this out?

·
Premium Member
6,498 Posts
Part of the issue is there are not as many guys with those shocks.

A couple of you guys are going to have to work through it and post up what you did.

Tim

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ended up buying some ds shocks and sent them in to shock therapy to be worked. My appt is in a couple weeks but I'll definitely update what I think when I get them on.

how did that work out? ST did my QS3 shocks and it was amazing. Sand highway in the whoops at 73mph

·
Registered
33 Posts
It worked out great. I got pretty busy right after I got them worked by ST but I definately noticed the difference. I can also tell the difference between my base with the worked ds shocks and my buddys stock ds. Now to save some money for more upgrades.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also have my qs3s still sitting in the garage collecting dust.

The thing I really about my QS3's especially in Glamis is the ease of adjustibility. I have them on the softest setting all the time when it's just me and the car does great. But if a 300 pound friend is jumping in the car and maybe two people in the back I can instantly switch the shocks to the "2" setting for the dunes and the thing will never bottom out. No tools. Just a simple turn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The thing I really about my QS3's especially in Glamis is the ease of adjustibility. I have them on the softest setting all the time when it's just me and the car does great. But if a 300 pound friend is jumping in the car and maybe two people in the back I can instantly switch the shocks to the "2" setting for the dunes and the thing will never bottom out. No tools. Just a simple turn.
Yes I wish the others had easier adjustability although a flat head and a wrench isn't really that hard. I just need to learn how much of each setting to change given each scenario I'm in. Since my memory isn't so good I will likely make a chart that I can take notes on.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts