Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the base model back in February and I have to say, I am not impressed. I live in grand junction Co. So the terrain is mixed. Rocks, forest, and high desert. On the rocks it is very rough, just about gives you whiplash. On the whoops out in the desert, it kicks the rear end up and bottoms out. I can hit jumps very well but then bottoms out on landings. And they are not flat landings either. Most are tabletops anywhere from 20 to 40 ft. I had a buddy ride with me and he had to take the next day off of riding because his back was sore from the jump. I ride very hard I understand that, but another buddy has a RZR and he does not have any problems with his suspension. If I'm riding behind him, I can see what a difference his is to mine. I should note that I have not adjusted my suspension at all. Completely stock. I contacted shock therapy and they said i should re-valve the QS3 shocks and put new/different coils on. It would cost me around $1400. Does anyone have any experience with re-valving of the QS3's? Is it really that much of a difference? Shock therapy also said that they would set up an interview and get all of my info.. type of riding, how I ride, terrain etc... and adjust them to me. They said naturally, with the new shocks, it adds 2 more inches of clearance. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the 120hp version. When I brought mine home the suspension from the dealer was set up horrible/not at all. I am curious if you have done any shock adjustments ? There are some really good videos on YouTube explaining how the Shocks should be set up. They will at least get you in the ball park of where you want to be. My tires were also aired to 29 and 23lbs for some unknown reason. After I set up my shocks and aired the Bighorn 2.0s down to 12lbs mine is A completely different machine.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I have the 120hp version. When I brought mine home the suspension from the dealer was set up horrible/not at all. I am curious if you have done any shock adjustments ? There are some really good videos on YouTube explaining how the Shocks should be set up. They will at least get you in the ball park of where you want to be. My tires were also aired to 29 and 23lbs for some unknown reason. After I set up my shocks and aired the Bighorn 2.0s down to 12lbs mine is A completely different machine.
I second this....

·
Registered
588 Posts
I bought the base model back in February and I have to say, I am not impressed. I live in grand junction Co. So the terrain is mixed. Rocks, forest, and high desert. On the rocks it is very rough, just about gives you whiplash. On the whoops out in the desert, it kicks the rear end up and bottoms out. I can hit jumps very well but then bottoms out on landings. And they are not flat landings either. Most are tabletops anywhere from 20 to 40 ft. I had a buddy ride with me and he had to take the next day off of riding because his back was sore from the jump. I ride very hard I understand that, but another buddy has a RZR and he does not have any problems with his suspension. If I'm riding behind him, I can see what a difference his is to mine. I should note that I have not adjusted my suspension at all. Completely stock. I contacted shock therapy and they said i should re-valve the QS3 shocks and put new/different coils on. It would cost me around $1400. Does anyone have any experience with re-valving of the QS3's? Is it really that much of a difference? Shock therapy also said that they would set up an interview and get all of my info.. type of riding, how I ride, terrain etc... and adjust them to me. They said naturally, with the new shocks, it adds 2 more inches of clearance. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

If Shock Therapy RIS is considered 100% improvement, you can probably get to 40-50%% improvement with the stock setup, properly adjusted.
Here's the Fox recommended setup, although my crossovers are set to even more travel, allowing the softer spring more movement.
FOX-tuning-diagrams-maverick-horiz-v2.jpg

This is generally speaking (I have a Turbo R with QS3's) what I have mine at, which is softer than fox's recommendation.

Set front+ rear ground clearance roughly 14 inches as measured from f/r skid
Set Front crossover ring 1.5-2 inches above middle spring perch when settled (not jacked off ground)
Set Rear crossover ring 2 inches above middle spring perch

For trail, both F/R set to soft
For dune, both F/R set to medium

Tire PSI (unless in jagged rocks)
Front tire PSI - 8-10
Rear tire PSI - 8-10

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. Before i make the shock therapy purchase, I will adjust them to see if there's a difference. And I have been running my tires at 20psi. I'll drop it down to around 12

·
Registered
186 Posts
Scooten I have the same model and thought the same thing after my 1st ride. Lots of washboard trail and I couldn't believe how rough my ride was. The ride was the day after I bought it so I didn't check the tire pressure until after the weekend. Fronts were 23 and the backs were at 29. I put them all to 18 but after reading this I think I'll lower them even more.
I also have the stock shock setup.
I need to adjust mine but am intiminated by the process being I have never done it before and I am even somewhat handy.
Guess I need to find the right video because Glamis is in 3 months!

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Fox put a video on youtube, its not that hard.
Definitely adjust before you spend money, but just keep in mind no matter what you do, you did get the base model so it won't react like the top of the line models. Good luck.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Fox put a video on youtube, its not that hard.
Definitely adjust before you spend money, but just keep in mind no matter what you do, you did get the base model so it won't react like the top of the line models. Good luck.
I've honestly have yet to ride in a DS that feels any better. It seems they are all too harsh.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
I think we can all agree none of they were setup right from the dealer. But the difference comes in the amount of adjustability and quality of the shocks when you get to the XRS. When you have the base with one clicker and only 3 positions for it, that is pretty limiting.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
They all come setup to satisfy the Government and the lawyers. The Dealer is not gonna mess with them and sell them any other way. Its up to the consumer to do the mods legally.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I spend $2500 more for my X3 than the YXZ I was looking at. One of the main reasons was the suspension was supposed to be so much better.....

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
X3 does still have better suspension travel, geometry, and wheelbase than a YXZ. Those are things you really cant “fix” on a YXZ.

It does suck how BRP setup the shocks on these things but you still have a much better platform to start with.

It would take a lot more money to get a YXZ to handle like an X3 that has had a shock tune.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Getting the shocks done would be the best way to get the ride quality you want for your driving.

The Fox set up will not be enough of an improvement. Keep in mind the QS3 shock does not have a lot of adjustments.

Another option would be to ditch the stock shocks all together and look at replacing them with the Walker Evans velocity shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I spent the better part of 4 hours reading through Pound Sands (the suspension guy) thread on setting up the suspension, watching the Fox youtube video and then going to town adjusting, riding and then readjusting my suspension. Please understand I had never touched a shock before, let alone knew what a cross over was. Keep in mind there is not a damn thing you can do to make the ride any worse than what BRP has these set to, only thing you can do is make it better. After 4 hours I cannot believe how much smoother the ride is and how much better it handles various terrain. Yes having them professionally re worked will make a huge difference, but after spending 4 hours and ZERO dollars I am much happier than I was.

·
Vendor
258 Posts
All great information in here. Just to clarify, I have tested the base X3, stock, with Fox set up, with just our spring kit, with just our valving and with our valving and spring kit combined. If stock is a 1 on a scale of 1-10 and 10 is the best it can possibly ride then the Fox settings are a 2.5. Our spring kit by itself is a 4. Our valving by itself is a 5. Spring and valving combined is a 9. Aftermarket shocks like Walker Velocity's are a 10. Also, I have done some riding in your Colorado area, Taylor park and other spots. There is a lot of sharp rock, river rock, mountain trails where a plush ride is all the difference. The spring kit will fix your bucking and some bottoming out. The internal shock work will fix bottoming out but it's biggest influence is in the plush ride quality area. Those rocks and nasty bite they give you will go away with shock work. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
I spend $2500 more for my X3 than the YXZ I was looking at. One of the main reasons was the suspension was supposed to be so much better.....

Who told you it wasn't? Tim

·
Registered
33 Posts
All great information in here. Just to clarify, I have tested the base X3, stock, with Fox set up, with just our spring kit, with just our valving and with our valving and spring kit combined. If stock is a 1 on a scale of 1-10 and 10 is the best it can possibly ride then the Fox settings are a 2.5. Our spring kit by itself is a 4. Our valving by itself is a 5. Spring and valving combined is a 9. Aftermarket shocks like Walker Velocity's are a 10. Also, I have done some riding in your Colorado area, Taylor park and other spots. There is a lot of sharp rock, river rock, mountain trails where a plush ride is all the difference. The spring kit will fix your bucking and some bottoming out. The internal shock work will fix bottoming out but it's biggest influence is in the plush ride quality area. Those rocks and nasty bite they give you will go away with shock work. Hope that helps.
Shock therapy, I'm on the verge of ditching my stock qs3s for some bypass shock off a rs or even some off a rs. Having tested all stock and with your shock work, what is the best route for me between the 3 in stock, adjusted by me, and with your tuning. I guess you could throw in opinions on aftermarket shocks also. I just dont want to spend more than 3k to get all 4 where o need them for primarily dunes riding but some trails here in wa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts

Who told you it wasn't? Tim
Trail ride where my teeth were chattering on the washboard and his were not. He being on a 2017 SS.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts