Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else put one of these on the dyno yet? I am having a hard time believing that CanAm would let this thing out the door with such a lean AFR while on boost. We've seen as high at 14.8 at 100% throttle when on full boost!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Search MrRPM, evo and a few others already have tunes etc for them with dyno time

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
prolly , 14.7 is emissions law cars run it all the time , but I know its turbo , its prolly lil more richer , what gauge were u using how was it set up new or used ?

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Yes I think that EVO and Mr RPM both commented how lean these things are on boost . You could make a lot of people happy with a plug and play Power Commander with the proper fuel and timing corrections.

·
Vendor
777 Posts
Has anybody else put one of these on the dyno yet? I am having a hard time believing that CanAm would let this thing out the door with such a lean AFR while on boost. We've seen as high at 14.8 at 100% throttle when on full boost!
I am glad that someone else has seen the same thing as we did. Its very odd how the factory in controlling the fuel. I also saw 14:5 to 14.8:1 as the engine comes on to boost, it stays there and then goes 11:1. It makes no sense. In our software re calibration, I completely change this so it is not lean as boost comes up and it also doesn't go super rich on the top end.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I am glad that someone else has seen the same thing as we did. Its very odd how the factory in controlling the fuel. I also saw 14:5 to 14.8:1 as the engine comes on to boost, it stays there and then goes 11:1. It makes no sense. In our software re calibration, I completely change this so it is not lean as boost comes up and it also doesn't go super rich on the top end.

Sounds to me like stock settings are a recipe for a blown engine why the heck would they do something so crazy is beyond me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
In the car world they make them lean to make the catalytic converter live and so the oxygen sensor is accurate, the same goes for the top end, If the cat gets to hot it will burn up so they add a ton of fuel to "oxygen strarve" the cat to keep it from gertting to hot. You really need to remove the cat when you tune them otherwise the cat will get hot, break apart and go through the turbo. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yes remove cat for sure

·
Vendor
777 Posts
In the car world they make them lean to make the catalytic converter live and so the oxygen sensor is accurate, the same goes for the top end, If the cat gets to hot it will burn up so they add a ton of fuel to "oxygen strarve" the cat to keep it from gertting to hot. You really need to remove the cat when you tune them otherwise the cat will get hot, break apart and go through the turbo. Just my .02
If a Porsche twin turbo (which is what I tune mostly) was programmed like this from the factory, it wouldn't live. I understand that this is a V-Twin and the engine is different, however any boosted engine even one making 7 PSI of boost should not run 14.5: 1 while making boost.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
On mine, it was only emissions lean, when under light throttle, and coming on low boost levels, around 1-2psi, then it fattens up a bunch. Running slightly lean, under light boost is ok, with correct fuel, timing, & comp ratio, more boost, obviously will need more fuel, and this is the way mine was set up factory.
As was said before, the lean a/f ratio was done to keep converter lit, and for emissions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Whats everyone using to read a/f ratio ? Factory sensor ? Is it a wide band ? I wonder if some are reading at the tail pipe instead of pre cat ? I am guessing that if using the factory sensor it may "look" lean from the funky firing events and the v-twin. Problem with o2 sensors is they read left over o2 not the amount of fuel burned. Lots of things can lead to excess o2 in the exhaust system. Anyone killed a stock turbo engine yet from a lean factory tune ?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
If a Porsche twin turbo (which is what I tune mostly) was programmed like this from the factory, it wouldn't live. I understand that this is a V-Twin and the engine is different, however any boosted engine even one making 7 PSI of boost should not run 14.5: 1 while making boost.
Something must have been wrong with your xds because brp wouldn't have it at 14.5 at 7 psi On all the turbo mavs but I could see them running lean down low at low boost to pass the bs emissions like mrrpm said If all the xds are running too lean you would have seen a couple of blowed up xds by now This isn't brp's first rodeo with boost They did it for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Whats everyone using to read a/f ratio ? Factory sensor ? Is it a wide band ? I wonder if some are reading at the tail pipe instead of pre cat ? I am guessing that if using the factory sensor it may "look" lean from the funky firing events and the v-twin. Problem with o2 sensors is they read left over o2 not the amount of fuel burned. Lots of things can lead to excess o2 in the exhaust system. Anyone killed a stock turbo engine yet from a lean factory tune ?
Nope !!!!!! I havent heard of one When the first xrs came out some of the fuel controller company's were saying then were way too lean and that there going to blow up lol guess what you didn't hear of one blowed up xrs from running too lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
777 Posts
There was nothing wrong with my XDS. I ran a few of them and they were all the same. I run a wide band O2 Sensor directly connected to my Mustang Dyno. Additionally, I have flashed a bunch of the XDS's so far and all of them have the same software version loaded into the ECU's

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a brand new unit from the dealer. Using our Wideband sensor into the dyno electronics and I know its accurate. It definitely gained power by adding fuel so not sure what's going on with the stock calibration. Unfortunately I have seen that the closed loop area is active in high RPM, throttle ranges so unless we can come up with a way to overcome that your best bet is to have it flashed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts