Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Wrong week to order a clutch?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Glamisfan 
#1 ·
Is this the wrong week to decide to order a new clutch? Are all the vendors at Mud Nationals? I have called Airdam and QSC as well as emailed and no response.

I was really wanting to get one before our Easter Weekend ride.

#2 ·
Yea bro this is definitely the wrong week. Actually its the wrong past 2 weeks and probably next week too. All major vendors are out there. And they are busy filling orders from the 30k people that are there too. If I had to take a stab at what Adams doing rite now, probably hand tuning a few mud drag bikes and getting them dialed in for the drags. These guys take this pretty seriously. All the shit talking done by the clutch guys all year comes down to the next few days and whos up on the podium taking the trophies.

#3 ·
Thats another reason why they have been so swamped the last few months as well. Most bikes down there are over sized high horse power bikes. And tons and tons of people wait till the last minute to order or have clutch work done. So the clutch guys get super busy several months before Mud Nationals. And Adam also does work on every other brands clutches as well. He's very well known in the arctic cat realm too.

#6 ·
Well there is still hope..................and confirms my orginial decision to go with QSC in the first place.....Customer Service.
I tried to call again this afternoon, to my surprise Tammi at QSC answered. She had calls transfered to her cell at MUD Nationals. She is going to do her best to get something out to me Tuesday when she returns home! I am excited to atleast know they are trying. If they pull it off it will be amazing.

#7 ·
Im having trouble understanding how a QSC is gonna fly on the maverick. Several guys on the forums that mess with them professionally have not been able to tune one to the mav yet from what I understand. If and when you get it dialed in, please let us know how it performs. And BTW, as stated before, Adam Harvey works alone. Numerous different companies that employ multiple people sell QSC. Cut the dude some slack man. There are other places that sell CVtech, you just chose to try and get a hold of one guy who happens to tweak on them. If you ever actually deal with him, he's a great guy.

#8 ·
The QSC WILL work you just have to get the weights right. Takes some time. That's all. We will also be doing a custom helix that should help as well. Cold Blooded Performance will be offering a one stop shop bolt in primary and secondary as soon as all the bugs are worked out. I promise you this will be perfect and right. Hopefully Kris will be able to provide a price for all of this within the next 2.5 weeks.

#10 ·
Thats what Im getting at. Not to open old wounds nor to bash the QSC. But Kris got on here for several days talking about how it would work and yadda yadda and is so much more tunable and yadda yadda. He kept talkin up his product to the point that he actually had a maverick in his hands to test on and then went completely silent. Not even a peep. Dude never even bothered to say "hey guys this is a lil more difficult than i originally thought". Which tells me that it wasnt as easily tuned with the current QSC as he thought it would be. And if a guy as reputable as he cant get the current clutch dialed in then how do they expect the average guy to do it? Theres not a single doubt in my mind that kris will get it done at some point. But as of now and considering the hard facts that are on the table, I don't see how the current qsc set up is gonna work . If it would then somebody out there would at least have one on their machine. I hope that WVXRS does get it dialed in, I really do. Cause that's gonna answer alot of questions im sure a bunch of guys here including myself have. And it will also give us some options as well.

#11 ·
And just to be fair, its not just the qsc that have issues on this thing. Cvtechs also have some issues as well depending on ur set up. But they seem to hit way more than they miss. The target is to keep this thing at 7900-8000 throughout the entire acceleration curve while achieving the most top speed possible. Way easier said than done. Especially considering that the secondary has to hang onto the belt along with the primary to exploit all available acceleration. AND that can also be tuned to do the same thing with different tire setups and riding styles. And in my honest opinion, even with the cv tech I dont think we are at 100% full potential of this thing. I know somebody is gonna get it right soon, and I cant wait till they do .

#12 · (Edited)
I guess I should have said more initially. I am not knocking either model, but from the beginning I have wanted a QSC due to the roller design and the slightly lower gear ratio. I have had experience with the CVtech and STM but never the QSC. I feel even the mighty STM has drawbacks and that's why I didn't purchase one. Engine breaking is important to me.

My statement about buying the QSC wasn't bc they answered the phone although I believe that says a lot, but wasn't an attack on Adam Harvey. My point was it was reassuring that even during their busiest week they were making an effort to answer calls.

While speaking with Tammi she said they had been working on a setup and had put the finishing touches on it. (Stock setup) however they weren't going to officially release the maverick clutch until they make sure they all survive Mud Nationals.

Due to the extreme conditions there, big tires etc. If they held up there then they should be good to go. If they have issues then they were going to add a billet inner sheave.

Point being once I talked to her I felt good about taking a chance. I am getting the product I wanted, while also gaining confidence in their service. I'm confident if I have issues. They will help me through them..........not saying Airdam wouldn't. This is kind of a Ford Chevy thing at this point.

BTW she emailed me last night and said she would be able to meet my time deadline and would ship out on Tuesday. Once again she stated they would only release if it past the final test.

Also I'm confident I can tune it, but she says I'm not gonna have to tune a thing it will be ready.

Ill be the guinie pig boys! Ill keep you posted.

FYI I ordered the STM secondary also.

#15 ·
Steve, I'm waiting to hear how you like your new set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.