Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know there is 50 threads on which dune tire is the best, I'm not here to ask or start a debate. I'm sure they aren't the best but a shop by my house is selling new doonz paddles front and rear with new wheels for $599 now they might not be the very best just wanna make sure they would be better than my stock tires . I ride dumont any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would by Skats before I bought doonz. Most likely only 2 ply rated so they are cheap. Your stock tires aired down to 5 lbs will go anywhere thru the dunes. Save ur money until you can buy a quality tire. IMO.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah sorry don't update my stuff very often I moved to vegas so dumont is about an hour fourty minutes from my front door. Could I get slats g or anywhere near that price? Like I said I'm sure better tires out there not sure I care enough to spend 1500 on different wheels n tires. Well the doonz be any better than stock? Anyone have them or have a friend with them?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I would think for the price $599 would be a good deal. My friend has Doonz on his Mav, and they did good for him at Glamis. Like you said, not the best tire but they work.

P.S. I have more than $599 just in my rears (tires and wheels).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the question I should be asking is would people rather be on doonz or stocks in the dunes? Andy what kinda paddles you use and are paddles that much better in sand? I've never had a set? Like desertdog said most people say 5 pounds on stocks works fine?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
012.jpg In my sig. 26x12.5x12 8 paddle Skat Extremes on DWT Ultimate beadlocks. Duning I think the stockers air'd down really are not too bad. Actually took the paddles off this last trip and duned for 5 day straight on the Big Horns (@5 psi). With the paddles climbing big dunes is easier/more authority, but the stockers do fine. Don't know if you ever been to Glamis, but the stockers have got me up China wall, and Patton Valley. 2 of the steepest dunes we can ride on out there. Only other totally stock machine on knobbies to make it up those hills I've seen was the XP1K. If your going to go to Dumont alot I would get the sand tires. If you only going every once in a while...save your money.

P.S. I was out from X-mas to NY's day, and led those 4 sand cars around the dunes most of the time, on the stock Big Horns.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have run the doonz tire and wheel package for 3 years..I am currently doing the research and buying a different tire set. The doonz have been great yo to this point, but the two ply tires are just not enough for the weight of a max. The doonz set I have were used on a maverick xrs and commander..I have no complaints. I do see now that they are on their third season they are beginning to cracked and show wear..but for an economy tire and wheel package...they have been great!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
A friend of mine has doonz on his xp900 in the rear and stock tires in the front, and it does fine in the Oregon dunes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah sorry don't update my stuff very often I moved to vegas so dumont is about an hour fourty minutes from my front door. Could I get slats g or anywhere near that price? Like I said I'm sure better tires out there not sure I care enough to spend 1500 on different wheels n tires. Well the doonz be any better than stock? Anyone have them or have a friend with them?
Give .50 Caliber performance/racing a call. Made me a great deal. They are local to you in Henderson so you can save on shipping for sure.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
When we go to Dumont, we usually just keep stock tires on because we spend 1/2 the time riding out in the desert & I dont like to change the tires all the time. Stock tires work fine at Dumont, paddles are better - just depends what you like to do. If you do want to get paddles, I would save and invest in a good set so your not wasting your money.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have Doonz and I rode Sandmountain with them, all but one leaked and were flat every morning. I think the Mav is a little heavy for those tires. My last trip to Pismo I rode with the stockers at 5lbs and I liked the ride and the feel of the stockers better. Climbing was about the same, but there not as many steep hills at pismo. Steering was WAY better with stock tires, just my .02..

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I ran my stock knobbies last season and climbed China wall. This yr with the Blaster's I could not make it to the top. You will go anywhere and climb anything with just the knobbies air'd down. They spin better and keep your rpm's in the correct range much longer when climbing the dunes.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I ran my stock knobbies last season and climbed China wall. This yr with the Blaster's I could not make it to the top. You will go anywhere and climb anything with just the knobbies air'd down. They spin better and keep your rpm's in the correct range much longer when climbing the dunes.
You didn't make it up CW with the Blasters? Wow. The Skats got me up it fine, and with more speed at all the way up. No run at the hill, just start right at the 1st whoop. With a little bit of a run, I got up CW this trip with the Big Horns. I made it...but just crawled over the top.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Yep that's exactly why I got rid of my Blasters. The Doonz out perform them by far. They make a 6 ply rear now. So far so good.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You didn't make it up CW with the Blasters? Wow. The Skats got me up it fine, and with more speed at all the way up. No run at the hill, just start right at the 1st whoop. With a little bit of a run, I got up CW this trip with the Big Horns. I made it...but just crawled over the top.
Yeah but I wasnt not getting on the throttle until after the whoops

1 - 20 of 24 Posts