Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing a tiny bit of leakage from pinholes in 3 of my rear CV boots, so I figured I would show them some lovin' today with new boots and Swepco 101 moly grease before next month's dune trip. The outers were still smooth and snug, but the inners were pretty worn, pitted, and slightly blue color right where they normally ride.

I had noticed the past 2-300 miles they were clicking turning on pavement while moving forward. Reverse was quiet. Figured I better have a look and see if I need new ones before the trip.

I know the differential runs well over 250F in cooler weather, so I have been running Amsoil's Shockproof 190W with about 6g of WS2 powder for some additional protection from the heat. I figured the CV's had to be running similar temp +or- and was going to run Amsoil's Dominator racing grease mixed with a little WS2, but they didn't recommend any of their greases for CV use which led me to the Swepco.......seems the Porsche racers and Long travel buggy guys love this stuff!

I swapped the axles side to side and may have to replace them in another 2-3K miles. I currently have 2,300 miles on these. I figure all the high speed desert use must build a tremendous amount of heat in a centralized location combined with the goofy angle from the diff being location forward of the axle's center line is the culprit.

It now only clicks in reverse!

Anyone else worn out a set?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've wondered how long those cv's would last. I thought it was great engineering adding cooling fins to the rear cv's. But then someone mentioned that the rear cv's are subjected to more hear because of the compound angle that they constantly run. Which also robs hp. Good idea swapping them to get more mileage out of them.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
I understand what you're doing but I don't think swapping them from side to side was a great idea. If the shafts are twisted the slightest bit they will be significantly weaker now.
I need to do some maintenance on mine and I'll be using the same grease and WS2

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what they were thinking building in the compound angle. I figured the mudders with the 3" lifts would be the first to wear them out. In have even been running the past 1000+ miles lowered in the desert.

In didn't think about the twisting when swapping the shafts.....should have just swapped the inners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts