Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well dealing with kris was a breeze. I ordered my clutches Monday and there in transit on the ups truck to be here by end of day, awesome!!!. I got the STM gen II primary with one way bearing and STM gen II secondary with EB in helix.

I can't wait to see/feel the difference these will make over the stock crap. As you all know I was having a lot of rpm issues with mine. Having it back and forth at the dealer to try and get canam to fix it, but they don't have a fix!.
Finally I was able to afford clutches that I wish I coulda before and saved a lot of hassle going to the dealer, knowing they weren't gonna be able to fix it.
So finally finally I got them and will be posting back on this thread the differences. I hope I can finally put my rpm issues to rest and have the added benefits of everything else that comes along with these clutches.:smile:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I love these threads, I was just as happy to get my clutches as I was when I got the Maverick it self but I haven't been around to put mine on:disappointed:
I did get the same setup as you when are you putting them in?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
i am soo close to ordering mine from Airdam. I was talked into the gen 1 secondary though, not really sure what difference that makes but i aint the clutch guy he is.

let us know how the install goes and how easy it is to tune.

i have been wanting to take some measurements before i pull the clutches. 0-6mph and top speed with rpm. then compare to the STM setup.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mega...mark off a drag and film it before and after with timing both on the video..etc. And make a side by side movie. Poorly described but I hope you understand what I mean? A split screen showing stock and after racing the same distance.....think you could do that? Lots of us would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Mega...mark off a drag and film it before and after with timing both on the video..etc. And make a side by side movie. Poorly described but I hope you understand what I mean? A split screen showing stock and after racing the same distance.....think you could do that? Lots of us would appreciate it.
i am a complete moron when it come to video and editing. I have hours of video from my Gopro that i have no clue how to edit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i think when someone actually does all that, they will be poorly disappointed with the after results. the machine "feels" much faster, but its not actually "going" that much faster. unless you had a stock clutch that was running very very low RPMs and not actually making any power. if your stock clutch is running 7800+RPM while you are acclerating, and you install an aftermarket clutch that is also running 7800+ while you are accelerating, you're only gonna see but about 1-2mph in 300ft. can-am made the OEM clutch fast, its just not reliable. the aftermarket upgrades are much more reliable and will consistently put power to the ground better, but they're not that much faster in a drag race.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i am soo close to ordering mine from Airdam. I was talked into the gen 1 secondary though, not really sure what difference that makes but i aint the clutch guy he is.

let us know how the install goes and how easy it is to tune.

i have been wanting to take some measurements before i pull the clutches. 0-6mph and top speed with rpm. then compare to the STM setup.
I wonder the same thing too because the Gen 2 secondary is superior to the Gen 1. In all aspects.

The gen 2 actually offers better engine braking as well on top of several other benefits. Maybe he's trying to move old stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
424 Posts
i think when someone actually does all that, they will be poorly disappointed with the after results. the machine "feels" much faster, but its not actually "going" that much faster. unless you had a stock clutch that was running very very low RPMs and not actually making any power. if your stock clutch is running 7800+RPM while you are acclerating, and you install an aftermarket clutch that is also running 7800+ while you are accelerating, you're only gonna see but about 1-2mph in 300ft. can-am made the OEM clutch fast, its just not reliable. the aftermarket upgrades are much more reliable and will consistently put power to the ground better, but they're not that much faster in a drag race.
False. If it take stock clutching 2.65 seconds to get to 7800 rpms and aftermarket clutching can get there in 1.25 seconds clearly gains are to be had. I've yet to see any stock maverick come close to a maverick that I've clutched. Not sure what you're doing. But the ones I personally clutch are quite a bit faster.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I wonder the same thing too because the Gen 2 secondary is superior to the Gen 1. In all aspects.

The gen 2 actually offers better engine braking as well on top of several other benefits. Maybe he's trying to move old stock?

dont know. one thing i wanted was ZERO engine braking, i hate not having controll of my machine and would rather controll the brakes myself.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
so the video on STM's website is bs?

·
Registered
424 Posts
dont know. one thing i wanted was ZERO engine braking, i hate not having controll of my machine and would rather controll the brakes myself.
Then you could get the STM Gen 2 secondary without the Engine Braking notch and run a 2 way bearing in your primary.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
All I know is my Mav is WAY quicker launching off the line with the QSC/STM setup vs stock. Its also keeps you pinned to the back of the seat while on the throttle. When I go on my first desert trip this season, I know for sure if I got any increase in top speed. I hit 73mpg on sand hiway when it was stock with stock tires.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My point was STM has a vested interest in showing their clutch is faster. I doubt their video is bs. But what I'd love to see is real day application with average Joe's if you will. I'd like to see real side by side comparison. I'm happy with my setup, it seems it's all I need. But that doesn't mean seeing a huge swing wouldn't sway me. =)

·
Registered
711 Posts
no i did not say their video was fake. quite obviously one ran much faster than the other.

kris it does not take 2.5+ seconds for the stock clutch to get to 7800RPM. it gets there quite a good bit quicker than that

please tell me how a gen 2 is superior, other than its number 2 rather than number 1 the higher number does not mean its better. from all my testing, which i have ALOT of, i can prove you wrong on almost everything you say. i dont try bikes out on dry ground. i actually load them up in serious conditions and see what the clutches are doing. i dont think you have (1) enough experience to actually see and understand what the clutch is doing or (2) you just dont actually know what the clutch is doing. just because a clutch holds perfect shiftout on dry ground, does not mean anything. just because you gotta STM bolted up, dont mean its gonna backshift and always hold the same RPMs as it does on dry ground. all those funny angles that STM makes for the helix, along with the spring rates being stiffer and softer, actually do something. they're not just painted pretty colors for fun. you may be a good salesman, but your actual clutch tuning is a joke i dont think you actually know what you are looking at on a clutch. if you did, you would see that a GEN2 secondary does not backshift any better than a get 1. i have taken a clutch job that you did, and tuned yourself, and showed an owner what was wrong with it, changed a few things around, and actually made it work right. take a wild guess what WAS the problem, the gen 2 secondary. swapped in the same helix and spring just in a gen 1 frame and it worked absolutely different, and much better. keep pushing your favortie things like cherios to everybody. i'll keep on actually making the clutches work like they're supposed to.

·
Registered
424 Posts
kris it does not take 2.5+ seconds for the stock clutch to get to 7800RPM. it gets there quite a good bit quicker than that
I was speaking "in theory" forgive me for not having specifics.

please tell me how a gen 2 is superior, other than its number 2 rather than number 1 the higher number does not mean its better. from all my testing, which i have ALOT of, i can prove you wrong on almost everything you say. i dont try bikes out on dry ground. i actually load them up in serious conditions and see what the clutches are doing. i dont think you have (1) enough experience to actually see and understand what the clutch is doing or (2) you just dont actually know what the clutch is doing. just because a clutch holds perfect shiftout on dry ground, does not mean anything. just because you gotta STM bolted up, dont mean its gonna backshift and always hold the same RPMs as it does on dry ground. all those funny angles that STM makes for the helix, along with the spring rates being stiffer and softer, actually do something. they're not just painted pretty colors for fun. you may be a good salesman, but your actual clutch tuning is a joke i dont think you actually know what you are looking at on a clutch. if you did, you would see that a GEN2 secondary does not backshift any better than a get 1. i have taken a clutch job that you did, and tuned yourself, and showed an owner what was wrong with it, changed a few things around, and actually made it work right. take a wild guess what WAS the problem, the gen 2 secondary. swapped in the same helix and spring just in a gen 1 frame and it worked absolutely different, and much better. keep pushing your favortie things like cherios to everybody. i'll keep on actually making the clutches work like they're supposed to.
Everything I read here was nothing more than "jargon" as you mentioned before. If "my customer" went to you with fine tuning issues then I am not concerned because clearly this person knows nothing about loyalty nor did they call me with any issues. If my phone rang. I answered. If I missed it, I returned the call. If they had questions. I answered. If they had issues. I solved them.

You seem to have nothing better to do than bad mouth me . Which is fine. I have better things to do. Thanks for yet again showing your brighter side.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Adam, why are you even posting in here? Was it the "dealing with Kris was a breeze" part? A fella was happy about getting his new clutches. And then you come in here with your nonsense practically taking this thread from him. If you have issues send me an email, call me, text me, or even visit my website and fill out a contact us form. I'll address you and your issues you have directly if need be. Otherwise take your BS elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
If you read the OP's post, he is having all kinds of RPM issues so if his aftermarket clutches are even close out of the box, he will not be dissappointed......You also contradict yourself by saying in a later post that none of this matters anyways because you don't test them on flat dry ground so this would all be a moot point anyways. So if we where all dissapointed with our clutches performance, I think that would speak for iteself. Actually, it is just the opposite. Regardless of the brand, there hasn't been more than a few that have had complaints about performance of their aftermarket clutches.

Personally, for me, it was about reliability and the mentality that I didn't have to worry about if/when I was going to have an issue. My stock clutches ran fine and reached 7900 RPM but my aftermarket clutches flat out outperform them. They reach RPM faster, they backshift much better and hold RPM thru all kinds of conditions. The stock clutches did not. So by saying that if your stock clutches reached 7800 RPM's you would be dissapointed in the performance of the aftermaket clutches because there would not be much of a difference is just not true. Run them side by side on a track and see which one out performs the other and by how much......the answer is clear.

Reactions: Hunting721

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Slight correction IF I may. :smile: The OP "was" having rpm issues so he finally got tired of chasing it trying to fix the problem. So he went aftermarket clutches, which is what I suggested he do in the first place. But he was trying to go the less expensive route first. I believe now that he has a better set up he no longer has the rpm issues.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts