Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seen the DNR and Sheriff both measuring machine widths multiple times on the trails. Sometimes it's a single ticket other times it was for loud exhaust also. I've seen 2 that not allowed to be driven away and needed to be towed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wisconsin owner here. I usually ride the Jackson/Clark County trails. I've only seen a machine being measured once on that trail system but it's not difficult to glance at a 72" rig after seeing 64 inchers all day long and know they are over limit. Don't even think about taking a wide machine on the Cheese County trail. I've seen multiple instances of the sheriff's with radar guns there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I ride all over WI and there are several gates that the 64" models barely fit through like others have stated. Lots of places where there are boulders that you won't be able to get through as well. IMO stick with a legal model if you plan to ride the trails in WI or MN. The trails are tight in a lot of places when two legal width machines meet let alone a 72" wide machine. Be interesting to see who would at fault no matter who actually caused the accident if you were in a machine that was over 64".

·
Registered
870 Posts
I ride in both WI and MN. You can't register a machine wider than 65", so yes you'll be illegal on the trails. That being said I've come across a couple XRS 72" models on the trails and its blindingly obvious they're too big.

Another thing to note is liability. Friend of a friend came up over a hill and hit a RZR head on in his YXZ. Unfortunately the driver of the RZR didn't make it. The YXZ driver was told if he had been in an illegal machine that was too big for the trails it would've been manslaughter. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So where do people ride their x3 rs turbo rr at other than the desert? I guess I never gave any thought to the width being an issue for trails but now I’m wondering.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just rode across Wisconsin and Michigan in an Xrs MAX - crossed
the Mississippi at Prairie de Chien, rode the TWAT up to Clam Lake, then Michigan to and across the Macinac Bridge to Defiance, Ohio.

ZERO issues with enforcement - XRS fits through the width restriction gates just FINE.

Rode Wisconsin on a weekday - less endorsement out and about. Don’t think I’d try it on a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am from Michigan. Saw your post driving across the Mackinaaw bridge. Very Cool! How did they let you do that? Are you street legal?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am from Michigan. Saw your post driving across the Mackinaaw bridge. Very Cool! How did they let you do that? Are you street legal?
Bridge toll guy didn’t even give us a second glance - asked for $10 and said, “Have a nice day.”

Machines ARE registered and insured - mine in Arizona; the other in South Dakota.

Troopers and deputies who pulled us over BEFORE the getting to the bridge wished us well - ALL of em were sweethearts!

·
Administrator
2,350 Posts
Bridge toll guy didn’t even give us a second glance - asked for $10 and said, “Have a nice day.”

Machines ARE registered and insured - mine in Arizona; the other in South Dakota.

Troopers and deputies who pulled us over BEFORE the getting to the bridge wished us well - ALL of em were sweethearts!

Your travels are definitely the benchmark for all of us X3 owners...Keep On Truckin'!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you do this, I recommend running about 18" of ride height and stock wheels. This will keep your width closer to stock.
I didn’t think about the width when I purchased my PCF 6” lift to run some big tires (37”) and I have been talking with people here in WI and I know of one guy who was stopped and they took his keys and made him go get a trailer don’t know if he got a ticket though didn’t ask. My machine is over width but I haven’t had a problem with gates yet.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts