Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding in Wisconsin and Minnesota, both having a 65” width limit. Has anyone driven a XRS or a RZR that is 72” in either of these two States? If so, were you caught? If so, were you fined? If so, how much?

I really want a 72” machine for stability but these two states require 65” or narrower.
What’s the likelihood of getting caught? I’ve never even seen anyone official on any trail in any State

·
Registered
2019 maverick trail 1000. 5-2 offset wheels. 27 inch tires. Roof. Mirrors. Full windshield.
172 Posts
Don't see how they could enforce a restriction like that accept on riding club properties, or on roads, if they are street legal there.

·
Registered
2019 maverick trail 1000. 5-2 offset wheels. 27 inch tires. Roof. Mirrors. Full windshield.
172 Posts
I bought a 50 inch, not because i had to, but because this is quad country. All the trails are tight and narrow. In a few tears, as more buggies get the corners widened out, I plan on buying a 60 or 64.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the XDS, which is 64", and I have driven it extensively in both Minnesota and Wisconsin without issue, but I want to widen it by going with the SuperATV 6" lift, which adds 6" total width and will allow me to run 35" tires. I will be about 70" with this set-up, plus the registration will still show an XDS for getting it approved in Wisconsin. My question is whether anyone has ever had issues with being stopped for a machine wider than 65"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't see how they could enforce a restriction like that accept on riding club properties, or on roads, if they are street legal there.
WI will not register any thing over 65". The DNR does know the models and they just had legislative session discussing how to measure, and penalties for fraud. Also, you might run into gates.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but my machine is already registered, as it is a X3 XDS Turbo R. I've never run into any gates that have kept me from entering anywhere I want to go.

I'm not committing fraud, the X3 is an XDS, just want to add bigger tires, which will put me at 70". Just wanted to know if you ever see anyone being stopped and measured. I never have and want feedback from those that already have a 72" machine if they have had problems or have been stopped, fined or ....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oh. So you haven't committed fraud yet. But you want to, and want to know your chances of getting caught. Now I get it.
I'd say, go for it and hope for the best.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fraud no. Fraud would be if I registered a XRS machine as a XDS. I registered it as it is - a XDS. my decision to get bigger tires that push the unit wider is not an option on the registration. It’s a XDS with a bit wider (3” on each side) wider stance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Six of one, half dozen of another. Whatever eases your conscience. You would still be, knowingly, running an illegal vehicle. So it can be taken as fraudulent. But It's cool. I run roads a lot, even though they are not street legal in Pa.but I don't try to find loop holes around it. When, not if, when I get caught I'll have a fine to pay. I totally accept my fate.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If you don’t have gates or large rocks blocking entrances you’ll probably be fine. I heard they were measuring some up by Silver Bay MN last year and they impounded one that was over the limit, but I wasn’t there, so I can’t confirm that. You probably won’t get measured as there are so many trails and very few CO’s, I’ve only been stopped once in 10 years of riding.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XDS RR
10 Posts
There are a lot of gates on Minnesota trails that are tight in a 64" machine. 72" machines are to wide for a lot of trail, not to mention illegal. If you want to run a wide machine stick to the states that allow them. I get very irritated when I meet a machine that is obviously over width for our trails.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have the XDS, which is 64", but I want to widen it by going with the SuperATV 6" lift, which adds 6" total width and will allow me to run 35" tires. I will be about 70" with this set-up
If you do this, I recommend running about 18" of ride height and stock wheels. This will keep your width closer to stock.

Reactions: Clkwrkornge

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
There are a lot of gates on Minnesota trails that are tight in a 64" machine. 72" machines are to wide for a lot of trail, not to mention illegal. If you want to run a wide machine stick to the states that allow them. I get very irritated when I meet a machine that is obviously over width for our trails.
Why does it matter to you? It’s not really any of your business what other people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
In Michigan I drive mine everywhere up north. But I stay away from the normal utv/Atv trails. Last thing I want is to get smoked head on and they say it’s my fault because my rigs to wide. To many idiots and co’s. If I can ride 90% of my normal trails and main roads without issue I will gladly stay away from the honey trap.

I have non issues taking my machine on a trail it shouldn’t be on. I do have issues killing someone’s kid because I took my machine on a trail I know it shouldn’t be on. But experience comes with age and situations.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XDS RR
10 Posts
Why does it matter to you? It’s not really any of your business what other people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does matter to me since I am on those same trails. Any ATV/ UTV over 65" in Minnesota is an ORV and cannot use the class II atv trails. The majority of trails are on State and federally owned land, they can and have been shut down because of people not obeying the laws and regulations. The law is the law there is no debating it. And yes they do enforce it. And oh by the way I am one of the club members that help maintain these trails. So yes it is my business.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I was riding trails near w Yellowstone mt and we hit some gates that my xds would not fit thru
after checking gps found they were on the Idaho state line

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wisconsin trails are managed on a county by county basis

recently did a 3 day ride from Wausau to Appleton, crossing 5 or 6 counties. Several of them had gates in place that my 64" machine scraped the extended mudflaps.

I dont think a 72" would get through those.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Riding in Wisconsin and Minnesota, both having a 65” width limit. Has anyone driven a XRS or a RZR that is 72” in either of these two States? If so, were you caught? If so, were you fined? If so, how much?

I really want a 72” machine for stability but these two states require 65” or narrower.
What’s the likelihood of getting caught? I’ve never even seen anyone official on any trail in any State
I ride in WI. Outside of Trego a lot and there are about 15 gates around trail 39 - some gates are beat down and you may get by but my 64" is tight on some. Gates are a pain as you must slow down to a crawl to get through some of them.
I would not go 72" and you will get ticketed sooner or later.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts