Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Winter Riding Advice

Tags
ice snow winter
7K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  desertdog 
#1 ·
I was curious if any of you use your Maverick for the winter and if so is there anything special you do to your Maverick specifically for winter use? Any must have or must do's that you can advise on?

I actually ride snowmobiles (Skidoo Renegade 800) in the winter but this is my first UTV I have ever owned and I didn't get much use over this past summer. Dunes here are closed for the season but curious where any Michigan UTV owners ride their toy in the winter.

And Yes, Mega, I did use the search function before I posted this thread. :)

#10 ·
I realized that over this past summer when I became a member on this forum that you west coast riders were just buying and installing mods but not riding. When I asked why, I forgot how hot it gets in the desert over by you. I don't like it above 85 degrees. That's probably like fall to you.

So how cold does it get at Glamis during the winter months?

#5 ·
And Yes, Mega, I did use the search function before I posted this thread. :)
Wow...not even gunna give the guy a chance, huh...lol

#6 ·
I would just make sure all zerks are greased and when your done riding for the winter grease them again to push out any water that may have gotten in there kinda the same as on our sled suspensions. other than that dress warm and let it rip.

#8 ·
Most owners I the southwest ride in the desert during the winter. In the summer months I can go ride race tracks all over SoCal. However summer is usually our offseason so many guys do thier upgrades during the summer.

#15 ·
I think if you get it in some heavy snow that is packed down you run the risk of smoking your belt......much like deep mud. The belt-to-clutch grip is the weak point in the drive train and if the tires are bound up, the belt is gonna slip.

#19 ·
The reason winter riding in snow is hard on belts is bc of the surface changes. You transition from zero traction surface (snow and ice) to non slick surfaces it puts huge amounts of load spikes on the belt.

Think of spinning your truck tires on an ice spot on the road then it hits the dry spot on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.