Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XDS TURBO R
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys brand new to the forum although it’s not my first can am or sxs even. Anyway I got a 19 xds turbo r with full glass windshield, rear wind screen and lower door half’s and the inside of the machine is still windy as all hell. I ride in sand often and it’s like a sand tornado and you can’t ride without goggles on. I had an OG maverick before this and it was not nearly as bad. After installing some aftermarket parts I noticed where the front shaft comes in is a pretty large hole and also the radiator coolant lines have a decent opening, add that to the holes in the skid plates and that is a recipe for a windy ride I guess. Now for guys out in sand dunes like glamis or pismo what is everyone doing to keep the sand storm to a minimum, I don’t mind getting dirty at all but it’s almost unbearable and not enjoyable to ride in sand at this point. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated, I was thinking of some sort of screen under the seats ant shaft tunnel area

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
no one does anything in the dues for this issue, we are MEN who don't mind getting dirty.

Your windshields are creating the issue, negative pressure sucking in through all the small gaps in the car.

Toss the windshield, they limit vision and keep heat in the car, also drastically cut down on the air over your intake and intercooler. When IATs are high the car pulls timing and you loose available power.

use the search function and spend some time on this forum and you will see what a couple other have done for this issue.

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Lose the rear wind screen, should be a whole lot better. If you ride in sand, you're going to get it in the car.

·
Registered
2019 XDS TURBO R
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no one does anything in the dues for this issue, we are MEN who don't mind getting dirty.

Your windshields are creating the issue, negative pressure sucking in through all the small gaps in the car.

Toss the windshield, they limit vision and keep heat in the car, also drastically cut down on the air over your intake and intercooler. When IATs are high the car pulls timing and you loose available power.

use the search function and spend some time on this forum and you will see what a couple other have done for this issue.
Haha I knew someone would call me out and pull the man card. Like I said I definitely don’t mind getting dirty, just gets in my eyes more often Plus the wife complains but Yeah I planned on taking the windshield out for warmer months, it was mainly for snow.

·
Registered
2019 XDS TURBO R
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Lose the rear wind screen, should be a whole lot better. If you ride in sand, you're going to get it in the car.
Really? Take the rear wind screen out completely? It’s the mesh one if that makes a difference

·
Registered
59 Posts
You need a solid rear window. Mesh or no rear windscreen will cause the problem you are having

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wear goggles of face shield, otherwise there's no way to keep it out of your face especially if you're following someone.
Yes the more restriction of air flow will create more vacuum to come into the machine.
Take the windshield and screens out and see what a difference it makes.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I put in plastic shipping caps in all the little holes in the skid plate. Cuts down on sand and dirt in the car and keeps the dirt from kicking up in the car as much. Cut holes in the window frame down low where it meets the car so you get some air flow.
Plug front holes where you can
Install s&b up high so it sits above roof line and you will get plenty of air to your motor, however intercoll can suffer some. I do not have issues in the winter time, but for summer I take the window off and let the car breath.
You can also get spacers from amazon that hold your door open a few inches and let's a good amount of airflow through the cab.

Mega has valid points, but he also needs more fiber in his diet so understand his constipation has little to do with you.
HE pulls the man card because he jealous of everyone who has one. Tim took his at the swing set in glamis when he went running and screaming like a little girl when his bluff was called.

Welcome to the forum, and yes search this forum and you will find lots of threads talking about this same subject, lots of good ideas.

·
Registered
2019 XDS TURBO R
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put in plastic shipping caps in all the little holes in the skid plate. Cuts down on sand and dirt in the car and keeps the dirt from kicking up in the car as much. Cut holes in the window frame down low where it meets the car so you get some air flow.
Plug front holes where you can
Install s&b up high so it sits above roof line and you will get plenty of air to your motor, however intercoll can suffer some. I do not have issues in the winter time, but for summer I take the window off and let the car breath.
You can also get spacers from amazon that hold your door open a few inches and let's a good amount of airflow through the cab.

Mega has valid points, but he also needs more fiber in his diet so understand his constipation has little to do with you.
HE pulls the man card because he jealous of everyone who has one. Tim took his at the swing set in glamis when he went running and screaming like a little girl when his bluff was called.

Welcome to the forum, and yes search this forum and you will find lots of threads talking about this same subject, lots of good ideas.
Haha thanks man I appreciate the input, I mounted my s&b on the lower bar in fear of ruining it when the car rolls over, coming from the OG maverick I rolled more then I care to admit but me and my buddy’s do run these things hard. Though the x3 platform is so much more stable it’s unbelievable upgrade from the og

·
Registered
2019 XDS TURBO R
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wear goggles of face shield, otherwise there's no way to keep it out of your face especially if you're following someone.
Yes the more restriction of air flow will create more vacuum to come into the machine.
Take the windshield and screens out and see what a difference it makes.
Will do thanks

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Solid rear window and seal up the holes you mentioned and you will notice a significant difference for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
A full face helmet will help keep the sand out. Even better if you add a pumper set up. Otherwise get sand specific googles from Oakly, Fox, or 100%. They use a thicker foam that keeps the sand out.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Get rid of the full wind shield.
Googles will be your friend, unless as Sand Shark said, getting full face helmet and pumper.

Also you should do a formal introduction in the new member section.
Where you live, where you ride etc

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
2019 XDS TURBO R
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get rid of the full wind shield.
Googles will be your friend, unless as Sand Shark said, getting full face helmet and pumper.

Also you should do a formal introduction in the new member section.
Where you live, where you ride etc

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics
Will do thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts