Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about to have a Warn Provantage 4500 winch installed on my X3 and I am wondering what happens if I need to be towed backwards out of something. I have seen videos where people routed the tow cable underneath the machine, through a couple of snatch blocks, around a tree behind the machine to pull it backwards but I am wondering what most people actually do. Winches on both front and back? Is there a way to do a set up where you can put switch the winch from front to back? Perhaps install on a receiver on front and back and mount the winch on that way with a plug in set up at front and back?

·
Registered
131 Posts
You answered your own question.I wouldn't try to pull backwards with a front winch running under the machine.youd Nd better off to fab up a front receiver and just use a plug and play connectors...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You answered your own question.I wouldn't try to pull backwards with a front winch running under the machine.youd Nd better off to fab up a front receiver and just use a plug and play connectors...
Yes that makes sense alright but seems like a lot of hassle. I am wondering what most people do. I wonder what percentage of people who have winches on their machines have them just on the front and what percentage of both front and back? Front and back is a lot of money for something so infrequently used.....

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I ran a front/back 2" receiver on 2 of my offroad machines and found it was not worth the effort for the rare occasion I needed to winch from the back. I typically ride with at least one other machine so no worry's. On my current X3 and Wildcat 1000X I only have the front winch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have twin 4500 lb winches .....one front and one back , I use the rear winch twice as much as the front . Where I ride it’s common to use them on every ride . I’ve used both winches at the same time to roll the machine back over multiple times also ......there would have been no way to flip the mav back on to its tires after a rollover without two winches . I also carry 300 ft of extra winch line and straps and sometimes a pull pal sand anchor

I need to back out of something more than go forward so I’m a huge fan of the rear winch

·
Registered
324 Posts
Where I ride if you need to winch it’s out backwards you are not routing anything underneath the car.

·
Registered
328 Posts

You can winch backwards with a front winch, but you need 3 snatch blocks and 3 anchor points.
yes you can winch backwards with a whole lot of line and three snatch blocks from the front if you find three strong trees perfectly aligned in front and back and you forgot to mention 3 tree straps for attachment points .....never gonna happen :)
I carry two snatch blocks for extra pulling power , I’ve used one once

·
Registered
328 Posts
You could use ground anchors...
I have pull pal anchors and have used them where there are no trees around, they are big and heavy

wouldn’t it be easier to put a damn winch on the back instead of your multiple snatch blocks , multiple tree straps , multiple ground anchors and trees that need to place correctly ?
You’d have as much money in a bunch of heavy equipment as a winch ......and that rear winch would be easier than that set up every time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Of course a rear winch would be easier, and you'd have to be incredibly lucky to find all the trees/rocks, snatch blocks and line when you get stuck so that you need pulling out backwards.

I just posted, because it can be done. Who knows, one day it might save somebody a lot of stress simply because they know the technique.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
I'd vote back winch also if your that worried about it. When you start stressing the frame in different angles weird stuff happens. Ive put some weird angles on mine, starting pissing radiator fluid everywhere out the front. But, I've pulled the tractor out a couple times this year, on a 2 point, back tied to a tree, front winch on the back of the tractor. No issues on the straight pull. That tractors a little over 3k lbs, I didn't just drag it out with it, but it was enough to hold tension and walk it/break it from the ruts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Pretty sure all the people on here already know and understand the principle and pics you posted .....I think we learned that and saw those pics in 3rd grade .
If someone purchased all those snatch blocks, tree straps and ground anchors you would assume that they already knew how to use them. Rear winch is the way to go

Another idea would be to use a Hijack lift as a hand operated winch

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Pretty sure all the people on here already know and understand the principle and pics you posted .....I think we learned that and saw those pics in 3rd grade .
If someone purchased all those snatch blocks, tree straps and ground anchors you would assume that they already knew how to use them. Rear winch is the way to go

Another idea would be to use a Hijack lift as a hand operated winch
+1 on the hilift jack. I carry one mounted on the rack. Those things are much safer as a come along than a jack.

If you decide to go this route, do stay out of the handles path...they'll rock your world

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the answers guys. I did learn something - don't get fn' stuck lol... The whole winch thing is an interesting conundrum (I like that word) I've had the machine for about 11 months now and have not even come close to needing a winch - BUT my buddy an I often use the machine way up in the mountains here on our own, so if something were happen it would be nice to be able to get out of it. Now though it looks like I should have two winches - so that's like well over $1,000 for something I virtually may never use. WTF. So anyway, we're going to mount the winch we bought (a Warn provantage 4500) to the front but I will also get a hijack lift in case we need a pull out from the rear - sorry that sounds kind of nasty but you know what I mean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts