Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extended out my winch cable today to clean it before a ride to Tennessee and noticed some fraying.

Looking at replacing it with synthetic rope. It's a Can Am 4500 winch.

It's 50 feet of cable. Does that mean I can only fit 50 feet of synthetic rope or can I fit more because the rope will compresses more then the cable?

Obviously the longer the better. (That's what she said)

Also what diameter rope do I go with? Can I go with a smaller diameter to fit more on the spool with the same strength needed?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
Only 50' of 1/4" synthetic will fit, that fills the spool up to the max. Someone mentioned on a current winch thread on here that 35' is the most the spool will hold with 5/16" rope.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is 1/4 synthetic rope a reliable option if it’s anything other than no/low resistance?

Seems like I commonly see X3s breaking 1/2” rope in technical areas with people that winch on a regular basis.

·
Registered
957 Posts
1/4 inch minimum .....bigger is better. Use a brand name and not cheap junk . Trying to get more line in a winch by going with a smaller diameter is ignorant and dangerous . Always carry a tree strap and extension line.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
185 Posts
Is 1/4 synthetic rope a reliable option if it’s anything other than no/low resistance?

Seems like I commonly see X3s breaking 1/2” rope in technical areas with people that winch on a regular basis.
1/2" Dyneema is normally rated for around 30K pounds depending on the vendor. If a UTV is breaking 1/2" rope it is because they're using it incorrectly (abrading it). I run 1/2" on my 8000lb truck and have flat pulled it on it's axles. If you need more strength than 1/4" then 5/16" should be perfectly adequate. If 5/16" doesn't provide enough length on the drum then a rope extension is better suited. I'd rather pull with a single wrap on the drum than anyway. You can get extensions pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have never had much luck with 1/4" synthetic rope (breaks way to often) so I went back to steel rope. It worked fine until it bound up on me when my buddy let go of it and it memory free spooled and broke when I tried to finish the pull.. Good help is hard to find lol. So I went with 5/16 synthetic rope and yes you can only get 35' on the spool. I plan on buying a 80' recovery rope to get the extra length I would need. It will come in real handy when I need to use the snatch block.

·
Registered
957 Posts
there are lots of cheap 1/4 rope brands.......I use Amsteel-blue coated line, one of the best out there, i think its rated for 8600 lbs. It floats and has a coating on it that protects it.
I noticed fraying on my old line on the front winch yesterday, its from my trailer pushing against it, I just purchased 50 ft at Motoalliance (Viper) today for $75 to replace it, great stuff. If its not Amsteel- blue or Dyneema I would tell you to move up to 5/16.
I carry a 6 ft tree strap, 75 foot ARB strap, 30 ft ARB strap, 100 FT Amsteel 5/16 synthetic extension and a spare 40 ft Amsteel 1/4 winch line at all times and I have front and rear winches. I've never broken a line, I change the lines at the first sign of wear or roughly every two years.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have used Amsteel blue and it broke also. I did what I could to keep the Syn ropes clean and used the sleeve over abrasive surfaces however they still broke. So will see how well the 5/16 holds up. Its supposed to be Dyneema . We shall see.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
there are lots of cheap 1/4 rope brands.......I use Amsteel-blue coated line, one of the best out there, i think its rated for 8600 lbs. It floats and has a coating on it that protects it.
I noticed fraying on my old line on the front winch yesterday, its from my trailer pushing against it, I just purchased 50 ft at Motoalliance (Viper) today for $75 to replace it, great stuff. If its not Amsteel- blue or Dyneema I would tell you to move up to 5/16.
I carry a 6 ft tree strap, 75 foot ARB strap, 30 ft ARB strap, 100 FT Amsteel 5/16 synthetic extension and a spare 40 ft Amsteel 1/4 winch line at all times and I have front and rear winches. I've never broken a line, I change the lines at the first sign of wear or roughly every two years.
You can tell you are the one that skips the mud and hauls everyone else's ass out with that list of gear haha.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3XRC Turbo
102 Posts
Just replaced a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch with synthetic. I took of 85 ft of wire and it took 85' of synthetic rope on the drum. I made the mistake of using my X3's winch to skid some trees on my property and it unspooled because I got to close to the end I rewound and everything is fine. I did pull my buddies Yamaha YXZ about a quarter of a mile up a steep hill and it got the job done with the X3's winch so they do work great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I used the steel cable once then pulled it out and it was frayed. Maybe I wound it in wrong bit I was pulling an ATV up a hill so I had tension. Anyways I digress, going to go with high quality 5/16 on the winch. I already have 100 ft. Of tow strap so I'm good.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m about to replace my wench rope which came straight out when I was trying to use it. So that was awesome. I have a 2021 XRC. Any tips would be helpful. Been searching can’t find much. Not sure if I’ll have to remove the entire wench or what. And if so I’m going to wait until my gusset kit comes in. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
957 Posts
I’m about to replace my wench rope which came straight out when I was trying to use it. So that was awesome. I have a 2021 XRC. Any tips would be helpful. Been searching can’t find much. Not sure if I’ll have to remove the entire wench or what. And if so I’m going to wait until my gusset kit comes in. Thanks in advance
which hole did it come out of your wench ? Is she ok ?
If you’re having trouble with your searches it may be because you’re searching for female pirate prostitutes :)

Reactions: Quad2Sxs

·
Registered
957 Posts
Chi_Weezy, What is your question?
I was trying to figure that out too ......sounds like his WINCH rope wasn’t secured to the spool and he needs to push it back in the hole and secure the tag end ......but him having to replace it sounds like it broke ?
Either way he didn’t say if it’s on the bumper or in the frame or what the exact problem was

you don’t need to pull the winch , you need to reattach the line back where it came from

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree. When I switched over to 5/16" Synthetic I left the Winch installed. I also had to drill the cross hole bigger to accommodate the larger diameter rope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was trying to figure that out too ......sounds like his WINCH rope wasn’t secured to the spool and he needs to push it back in the hole and secure the tag end ......but him having to replace it sounds like it broke ?
Either way he didn’t say if it’s on the bumper or in the frame or what the exact problem was

you don’t need to pull the winch , you need to reattach the line back where it came from
lol sorry guys. Ya I needed to use it, unlocked the wench and started pulling my rope out and it pulled right out with no warning, no tension or anything I was like wtf. Ended up using the rope and ruining it so I now have another new rope.

Just curious before I get going on it if I can just weasel under there and get it through or if I need to remove the bumper and wench to get the new rope in

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I removed the fair lead and installed it thru the slot. There should be a set screw in the spool cross hole that holds the rope from coming off.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
185 Posts
lol sorry guys. Ya I needed to use it, unlocked the wench and started pulling my rope out and it pulled right out with no warning, no tension or anything I was like wtf. Ended up using the rope and ruining it so I now have another new rope.

Just curious before I get going on it if I can just weasel under there and get it through or if I need to remove the bumper and wench to get the new rope in
The eyelet on the end of the rope isn't designed to do anything but lightly retain the rope to the drum for the first wrap. If you pull the rope all the way out it probably ripped off the eyelet. Rewrap the rope three or four wraps around the drum and then secure the rope with 100mph tape. Then wind in the rope under tension over the tape. The next time when you pull out the rope the tape will stop all of the rope coming off. Metal cables have the exact same problem.

This is also why you should always pull out the rope on a new winch and rewrap it under tension in your driveway instead of when you're stuck and things are going sideways.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The eyelet on the end of the rope isn't designed to do anything but lightly retain the rope to the drum for the first wrap. If you pull the rope all the way out it probably ripped off the eyelet. Rewrap the rope three or four wraps around the drum and then secure the rope with 100mph tape. Then wind in the rope under tension over the tape. The next time when you pull out the rope the tape will stop all of the rope coming off. Metal cables have the exact same problem.

This is also why you should always pull out the rope on a new winch and rewrap it under tension in your driveway instead of when you're stuck and things are going sideways.
Follow these instructions !
After you secure those first wraps extend the rope fully and hook to a vehicle or tree .....put the vehicle neutral and winch the cable in under tension while guiding the wraps with a gloved hand. This tensions the holding wraps and prestressed your line

FYI .......you have a winch that pulls things that are stuck , a wench pulls other things for money :)

Reactions: Quad2Sxs
1 - 20 of 27 Posts