Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I just installed my Warn winch.
I was looking for an inline fuse for the power cable which runs from the battery to the relay....no such thing in the box.

This is freaking dangerous running the power lead without a fuse up to the front of the machine.....am I missing something here?
Are you guys running a fuse on the power lead?

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
223 Posts
Folks,

I just installed my Warn winch.
I was looking for an inline fuse for the power cable which runs from the battery to the relay....no such thing in the box.

This is freaking dangerous running the power lead without a fuse up to the front of the machine.....am I missing something here?
Are you guys running a fuse on the power lead?

Thanks

Alex

Not to be poignant, but how do you think a winch is any different than your starter? There's no fuse on your starter.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If for some darn reason you wanted to put a fuse in , you would need about a 350 amp fuse . Big waste of time in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
403 Posts
No fuse. I had the same idea when I installed mine.... Winches draw a lot of current and as along as the wire doesn't get sheared or grounded on metal, it will be okay.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I may was a bit too paranoid..... :)
I'd have a 350A fuse from my car stereo phase, I may add it if I can't sleep worrying about burning up my Maverick :) in the meantime I hope that the cable provided with the warn winch can withstand the temperatures which occur under the main panels around the engine. I zip tied the cable all the way up thru the center tunnel, as far as possible away from the exhaust.....I guess time will tell....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks guys, I may was a bit too paranoid..... :)
I'd have a 350A fuse from my car stereo phase, I may add it if I can't sleep worrying about burning up my Maverick :) in the meantime I hope that the cable provided with the warn winch can withstand the temperatures which occur under the main panels around the engine. I zip tied the cable all the way up thru the center tunnel, as far as possible away from the exhaust.....I guess time will tell....

If you add one to your winch, you'll be the only guy in the country with a fused winch, then you would have to add a fuse to your starter cable on your maverick :) and while your at it you'll want to add a fuse to the starters on your cars and trucks as well, because they don't have them either.

No reason to have them, you're better off spending that time replacing tie rods and driving it :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you install a fuse, then don't plan on being the only guy on the trail with a winch. You'll then be the only guy on the trail with a winch that doesn't work.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ummm....Superwinch included a pair of 50a self resetting breakers with the wiring harness. I would have installed my own breaker if it had not been included. There is just too much that can happen in 10' of power cable.

The starter is different.....there is only 6" of cable before the solenoid with little chance of the wire chaffing on a grounded surface.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright guys,

It seems like you're not too concerned with having a constant hot wire running across your machine, along hot exhaust pipes, around corners and edges and under permanent vibrations which could chew up a cable over time.
I may a bit too paranoid but I'm gonna put a fuse in there.

I did a lot of car hifi installs, and I never ever run unfused power to the amps.
I did install my winch power cable in a way to reduce the possibilities of failures as much as possible, but IF something still goes wrong, think about an accident or a short in the winch motor, it could screw up your day pretty good.

I may be the only guy in the country with a fused winch, but I know I won't be the one whichs ride goes up in flames due to a short :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ummm....Superwinch included a pair of 50a self resetting breakers with the wiring harness. I would have installed my own breaker if it had not been included. There is just too much that can happen in 10' of power cable.

The starter is different.....there is only 6" of cable before the solenoid with little chance of the wire chaffing on a grounded surface.
So a difference of 48" of cable makes it safe??? I agree it does need to routed properly, but so does every cable. FYI it you do want a disconnect I would suggest using a marine grade breaker which come in various large loads and can be bought at west marine and the like, that way at least you can reset if it trips.

·
Registered
403 Posts
running power wire in a car install is a lot different. You've got to deal with a firewall, panels with screws, and other things.

I bought a Viper Elite winch and it didn't come with a fuse, nor did it show one in the instructions. I added one on my own, but everytime I put a load on the winch it destroyed the fuse, so the fuseholder came out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts