Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone could educate me on winches. I have a 2014 Max. I'm looking at Viper and Warn winches but don't know enough about them.

- 4000 or 5000 lbs?
- Difference between Pro/Elite/Max versions vs basic versions?
- Steel or synthetic cable?
- Mount suggestions?

I apologize if this has already been asked. I did a few searches and didn't find what I was looking for. If you have pics, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I went with the Viper Elite 5000 wide spool Maverick kit. Comes with a mount, 65' synthetic cable (safer than steel, but you have to use it properly), a wireless remote (hard to live without once you've had one) and a dash switch. I am 100% satisfied with it. I would suggest getting the front gusset set at the same time and installing them together. It'll make life a lot easier on you.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What do you mean by using it properly? You mind me asking the price of your setup?
it will not cut your head off it it breaks and comes flying back at you like a cable could.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here is a good read on Synthetic vs Steel Winch rope

Steel Winch Cable Vs. Synthetic Rope - Four Wheeler Magazine

synthetic rope is so great, why would you run anything else? Well, synthetic does have its share of disadvantages. Drawbacks include susceptibility to UV exposure, chemicals, heat, and abrasion, all of which can substantially weaken the rope.
Especially HEAT.. Winch can get Hot under pro-longed use. Need to winch in short bursts and let it cool as to not over heat.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I purchased the 4000 elite with synthetic cable and it has pulled me out a couple of times from thick mud. The remote is nice when you are alone. I have the 2013 xrs.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You want to always hook to a strap instead of hooking the cable to itself, winch on for 30 seconds then off for 30 seconds so you don't get it too hot and use a softener if the cable is going to rub on a hard surface. To me, it's worth the little bit of extra effort to have a cable that doesn't store energy when under a load and falls harmlessly to the ground if it breaks. I've seen steel cable do some scary things when it breaks. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but I think it was around $550. I might be wrong, but it is the first number that comes to mind. I have a 2 seater and went for the 5000 lb winch. Might be a little overkill, but why get just enough? For a Max, I would go with at for the 5k over the 4k.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a warn vantage 4000# with syn rope, could not be happier. warn comes with the toggle switch that fits the spare holes in your dash and into the remote place in your glovebox, makes for a very clean install.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use a warn RT40 with a dash toggle have had no issues works right every time. I have found that when I am winching usually up the side of a mountain in feet of snow (don't have a rear winch) that I have to be in the cab an feathering the gas if not my battery light will come on, as for the remote systems, I'm not knocking them I'm just not sure how that would be useful to me, because of the battery light issue and I ride alone allot so if my battery dies, that would not be good. I agree with what was said about the cutting off of a head though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am installing a Warn ProVantage 4500-s on my Maverick but I have a Warn XT4000 on my Commander and it pulls like a beast. Reliable and strong, it even pulled my F-150 out of the snow on the last trip when I got stuck. Couldn't be happier with my Warn winch and I expect the same from the one I will be installing on the Mav.

·
Registered
541 Posts
RotorDriver I have sent you a PM with info and your forum discounted price on the Viper Elite 5000 Widespool w/Mount

Chris
Devious PowerSports

·
Vendor
114 Posts
Thanks for considering our VIPERS (and thanks for the support from those that got them already!)

We highly recommend synthetic rope, and we use the US made and patented AMSTEEL-BLUE in six different colors for our rope. It's much better than the Chinese generic dyneema that is out there on many winches. The patent refers to an exterior coating that keeps the rope abrasion resistant to avoid snags.

Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts