Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 28 x 11 x 14 all the way around on my commander. They lasted about two years. They are worn out and time to get some new ones. Now I have an XRS. For the price of zillas compared to terms or laws, you can buy two sets of zillas. I like the predictability of the zilla and it is a nice riding middle of the road tire. The s x s is heavier than quads and now my mav has way more power than the commander. I do a lot of mixed riding. On a normal ride it is possible to go over almost every type of terrain. Hard pack, stony, ashphalt, gravel, trail, and bog. I have several friends with rangers and rzr's and commanders. While I was out playing around spinning all over the place except the deepest holes of course....my friends with pure mud tires were on the side lines watching. Too much hook up to really cut tight donuts and spray mud everywhere. They can get them broke loose and everything but a few have had issue breaking things. Axles, belts and one u joint. They work really well for straighter lines. Go through lots but not as much playability per say. And when it is time to rip down a gravel road or down some hard packed trails I start to hear some whining about poor handling, more gas being used and slower speeds. When you go riding with a group then the group is limited where they can go based on who has the poorest tires. I am not sure I am willing to go full out mud tire and sacrifice a lot of what the maverick is about for me. Has anyone tried zillas on the mav and what kind of results have you had? They are a lighter tire that can provide you with a lot of wheel spin and can still get you through a lot of tough places. 28 x 11 x 14 or 30 x 11 x 14 or 28 x 12 x 12 on all four corners. Which would you go with? All tires are under 30 lbs each.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am looking to upgrade to something more than what came on my maverick. I came across these and was wondering the same things I am doing mostly woods riding with some mud .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I'm not sure about zillas but I have the monster mayhems cuz I wanted a bit extra tread and they are working 100% perfect. I ride all terrain as well and they perform awesome on everything I've come across.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I switched out the bighorns for the Interco Swamp Lites, fantastic all around tire. Idles through the skeg, no problem, only need to winch when there is no bottom. Also run ITP mud lites on the outy 800, again a good choice for an all around tire. Interco sold me originally on the Boggers for the Jeep, never looked back, unless it was to check and see if the Zuks needed pullin.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was hoping someone with a little ride time would chime in....im on the fence as well. I like zillas, but not sure how they will hold up on these heavier SxS's...

Im wanting to run 30's on 14" wheels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can we see a pic of your mav with swamp lites?

I switched out the bighorns for the Interco Swamp Lites, fantastic all around tire. Idles through the skeg, no problem, only need to winch when there is no bottom. Also run ITP mud lites on the outy 800, again a good choice for an all around tire. Interco sold me originally on the Boggers for the Jeep, never looked back, unless it was to check and see if the Zuks needed pullin.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was also wondering about the swamplites, What size you runnin Badfella?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not savvy enough to attach link, google "Interco Swamp Lites". I stayed with the stock size on the fronts 27X9X12 on the front and went 1" wider on the back 27X12X12 on the back. I believe the load rating between all four corners is 1980 #, so the bike weighs 1300# I am 180 the wife is 110 and the beer is 100, so all in about 1700 #, so a little to spare. You should note the Maxxis Big Horns that come stock are the same rating as the Swamp Lites in the 27X12X12 size. The Zilla fronts 27X9X12 are only rated for 410#, the same size Swamp Lite is rated at 440#. So basically there are no tires at the stock size that are going to carry extreme loads

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can we see a pic of your mav with swamp lites?
Go to the thread "Let's see ya'lls rides, I posted a pic there, I'm still figuring out how to load a photo, worked yesterday but not today.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i checked on commander forum consensus was they were to light for our heavy bikes
My bud has the Zillas on his Commander, no reported issues, he seems to like them.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
They don't look like they have much tred depth. Has anyone tried or had any luck with swamplites. I kinda like the way they look but really want some pit bull rockers but the prices are worlds apart.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ha, I see someone resurrected a dead thread. I'll bite though. I have 30in zillas on my mav with stock clutching and I quite like them. Doesn't seem to rob much for power as I can still do donuts on dry pavement with them. For what they're designed for, they do well without going to an extreme dedicated mud tire. They vibrate a little at low speeds but aren't terrible at higher speeds. My biggest complaint with them is that the beads don't overlap the rims much getting LOTS of mud in the bead and their high speed performance sucks in cornering and braking, BUT, that's not what they're designed for and as such I ordered tires for those kind of days.

All in all, I'm rather impressed with them. I have gotten stuck with them, but at the same time I've clawed through where others are getting stuck. Hell, the company I work for held a quad rally a few weeks ago and we ventured through some nasty shit. I was one of the few that didn't get stuck (even in an area I thought it was a sure thing) and where some of the other side by sides were getting stuck in 4wd I was getting through easily in 2wd and after a while I was getting in behind and simply pushing them out, sometimes still in 2wd haha.

10264948_10151969463286642_103287433311218005_n.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
^I have running zillas on an atv

That being said I sold my set to a buddy and he's still running them, I bet they're pushing 1500+ mi now and the tread still looks great, they haven't seen much if any pavement tho

1 - 20 of 26 Posts